Canon 70-200 F4 L ?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Whats going on in camera land ?

It seems another day, another Canon 70-200 F4 L is put up for sale.

Why is everyone selling up :shrug:

Well, Its a cheap L series that some people buy because they want that cool grey lens.

Its not particularly long and its not particularly fast. For that focal length its got to be either the F4L IS or the F2.8 for me...

Maybe people buy it as a stop gap while saving to but its faster brother...

Thing is, some say its the sharpest of the bunch!! COULD be a false economy..

I think it's simply that it's the cheapest L out there and is the most affordable option at the start of the "road to ruin". I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's Canon's loss leader and the money is recouped when the consumer buys the next dozen or so L's. :shrug:

Bob

Opinions aside, its just weird that everyone all of a sudden want to sell them.

the only reason i sold mine is because i was buying the 100-400 as you know Adam, i got some fantastic shots with the one you now own and i have to admit, i do miss it and may end up buying another one eventually as it's half the weight again of the 100-400, and sharper too.

Well, Its a cheap L series that some people buy because they want that cool grey lens.

Its not particularly long and its not particularly fast. For that focal length its got to be either the F4L IS or the F2.8 for me...

Wow. Just wow.

The 70-200 F4L is an awesome lens that I'm holding on to, at the moment. Yes f/4 is not particularly fast, but the lens is great when it comes to outdoor shots, covering everything from sports to portraits (beautiful bokeh). The colour is fantastic, it's wicked sharp, and it unarguably deserves its L qualification.

The only limitation I feel is when I need a long lens for use indoors. Is it worth shelling out almost 4x what I paid for for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS? Yes, for some pros who need a 'low-light' indoor tele. But since I don't usually cover such situations, there's no point.

I'm hanging on to my "cheap L lens".

Last edited:
Im thinking about getting one just for the studio stuff i do!! it is a great little lens..

Wez, ive taken about 2 dozen shots with it so far and it is a beautiful lens! Hence the amazement i have each day i look in the For Sale section so many others are selling theirs.

I just need to know how to use it properly with the new 40D.

I've just sold mine to upgrade to the 70-200mm f/2.8. I found that for indoor sports that the f/4 was too slow... and therefor having to pump up the ISO.. but it was very sharp and im sure that the 2.8 will be too when i get it :)

to be honest, i looking for one ...but i would go for IS one

Not everyone wants a 500mm lens. 70-200 would be fine for me, and it turns out (yes I have tested all four) that the f/4's are much sharper than the f/2.8's, even when the f/2.8 is stopped down to f/4.

Plus, the f/4 is lighter than the f/4 IS, f/2.8 and f/2.8 IS.
So in actual fact it is one of the better lenses around, even though, as you say, its not particularly fast and its not particularly long.

Its one of the sharpest lenses I've used, the AF is very quick, its not physically big, and its not that heavy, and I would say the only reason people are selling up are to purchase one of the more expensive f/2.8's or the IS version, as most people get it as a bridge before they can afford the more expensive ones.

Last edited:
I'm selling mine only because its in the bag not being used,
i have a sigma 10-20mm, canon 28-135mm is, canon 50mm f1.2 and the 100-400mm
canon is so the 70-200mm does not get used, still a super lens, but i don't need it.

Back