canon 70-200 F4 with 1.4x TC

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I went out with this for the first time yesterday to take some pictures of my son playing football. I am however not very happy with them, some of the issues are due to my error but mainly they are not sharp becuase of the step down to 5.6 I could not get the shutter above 1/400. Would it have been better to have taken the TC off and cropped as required? Thanks

How about ISO. What ISO were you using and what Camera Body? Yesterday should have been bright enough to get 1/800 easily.

Need to post a pic Neil, plus what camera and TC? 70-200L generally takes a good quality 1.4x TC okay.

However, to answer your question, as a general rule cropping vs using the right focal length doesn't work. You only crop after all other options have run out.

I would have cranked up the ISO. I have both the 70-200 f4 and the 1.4 tc and have been very happy with the results. Its not as good as the 70-200 on its own but its not bad!

I did not think about the ISO :bang:was in AV mode so had it as wide as possible here is an example of an action shot, I know the sky is blown so should have been a bit quicker as you can see not very sharp at all

IMG_8923.jpg

F stop 5.6
ISO 200
EXP 1/640
450d

Good article, think this bit below is especially important here for the OP if he's a first time sports shooter.

"Exposure mode - Av
Aperture - Wide open
ISO - Adjust to allow for roughly 1/640 shutter speed
Metering - Evaluative (you won’t end up with blown out highlights!)
AF mode - AI Servo
AF point - centre only
Drive - Continuous"

Iv'e been testing my 70-200 and 1.4 extender and I'm very pleased with it.

David

Thanks have had a read of that will try again on Saturday

Good article, think this bit below is especially important here for the OP if he's a first time sports shooter.

"Exposure mode - Av
Aperture - Wide open
ISO - Adjust to allow for roughly 1/640 shutter speed
Metering - Evaluative (you won’t end up with blown out highlights!)
AF mode - AI Servo
AF point - centre only
Drive - Continuous"

Iv'e been testing my 70-200 and 1.4 extender and I'm very pleased with it.

David

Thanks I think the ISO, metering, AF mode and drive was not correct hence the problem.

Back