Canon 70-200 f4L Tripod Collar....OEM?

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have a tripod collar for this lens? Is it the original Canon, or an OEM from ebay?

Can you attach the camera to the tripod via the camera instead, or is it just too wobbly?

Id like to be able to use this lens on a tripod, but I'll be buggered if I'm paying Canon another 60 quid for the tripod ring.

A tenner off ebay maybe :D

they are a bit extortionate aren't they lol, i have the original canon one but i got mine with my 70-200.
i think you can use the camera tripod mount in normal circumstances but it's not recommended, it's definitely a lot more secure using the tripod mount ring. as for OEM, i couldn't tell you but i can't see there being any problems tbh.

i have the f2.8L one of these and i have mounted it using the camera it was ok. but you can feel the balance is not just right, hope this helps

As I remember it the f4 was quite light and not a problem with the camera mounted to the tripod.

Give me a fortnight and I'll tell you, I just bought pxl8's 70-200 including the tripod mount. Yippee! :LOL::LOL:

It'll take a fortnight before my missus brings it over here.

I use mine without a collar on a 400D with no problems. I would prefer to be using a collar, but i'm in the same boat as you.

Try without, works fine for me :)

I can use the 24-70 attached to a d80 fine on a tripod. And its larger + heavier afaik.

The tripod collar I had (have) is from ebay and it does the job nicely. When I first got it I found it was a little too snug for switching from landscape to portrait but I gave it a bit of a rub with some fine sandpaper and it was spot on.

The 70-200 isn't so bad on a tripod/mono without the collar unless you have a grip on the camera, then it's a little too out of balance for my liking.

FWIW I got mine from Roxsen on a US$ priced auction, worked out about £18 inc and delivered in about 5 days.

Cheers for the replies.

Looks like Im gonna go for an ebay version.

The only problem is, with it constantly rotating, does it not scratch / scuff the lens case? Especially with it being an ebay jobbie.

Oops I didnt mean the pouch/case, I mean does the spinning of the tripod collar not scuff the lens barrel?

if it's anything like the canon one, it has a foam coat on the inside

Oops I didnt mean the pouch/case, I mean does the spinning of the tripod collar not scuff the lens barrel?

Not if you buy a tripod collar lens collar, costs £450 from " we luv Canon " shops nationwide :)

Not sure on the f4 but on my f2.8 it revolves around some metal bearings that protrude from the lens. No scuffing on mine yet.

Had to take mine off to check though.

:canon:

No scuff marks on any of my collared lenses. The Canon ones have a nylon lining which is the bit which actually makes contact with the lens.

The ebay one has felt on the inside to protect the paintwork.

Ahh that explains it then :D Cheers!

Back