Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM problem

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I bought this lens used a few days ago. They are in a very good condition cosmetically, clean glass etc. However after taking the for the test shoot i noticed something weird.
All of these images are taken with IS on in Mode 1.
As you can see even at f/6.3 there's some distortion on both sides and at 2.8 the images are not sharp at all. Is it the IS playing up or something else?

Also this is a test video I did at f/2.8 and IS set to Mode 1. It was shot at 200mm with me holding the camera steady on my knee. Turn it up you can hear the noise IS is making.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

PS: Apologies for large images

EoCrC7o.jpg

Iaey96T.jpg

lBSbzB8.jpg

The IS doesn't sound right in the video but you don't say what the settings were. Was the IS on or off in the 4 images?

they look awful compared to mine so something isn't right. at 200th of sec, possibly a wobbly if the wind was blowing but the 2nd image at 1250 a sec should be pin-sharp, even in wind.

The IS on mine is virtually silent. They look as though one of the elements is out of alignment.

On all images IS is set to Mode 1.

The IS doesn't sound right in the video but you don't say what the settings were. Was the IS on or off in the 4 images?

The video is shot with IS set to Mode 1 as well

Last edited:
The IS should have been off in the stills as the shutter speed is high enough. Are the stills sharp with the IS off? No 2 still looks like it has completely missed the focus. Were you repeatedly pressing the focus button in the video or is it doing that (the clicking) on it's own

The IS should have been off in the stills as the shutter speed is high enough. Are the stills sharp with the IS off? No 2 still looks like it has completely missed the focus. Were you repeatedly pressing the focus button in the video or is it doing that (the clicking) on it's own

In the video I focused only once, then just hit record.

I'll upload some stills with and without IS. In most images I see something like on the first image - distortion/smudging near edges

I found mine doesnt like filters on the end and really really doesnt like a circular.. but even a UV effect it at the long end... so I would ask if your using any and if so try without as the problem may not be IS..

I found mine doesnt like filters on the end and really really doesnt like a circular.. but even a UV effect it at the long end... so I would ask if your using any and if so try without as the problem may not be IS..

No, no filters were used, just the lens hood. Also I'm shooting on Canon 60D so I'd imagine on a full-frame I'd be getting even more distortion.

I bought one off Ebay a while back and had the same problem. Turned out to be one of the elements out of alignment. I had a hell of a job getting my money back as the seller wouldn't believe me but Ebay came through in the end,

IS doesn't seem to affect the blurriness much it seems. Do you think it might be optics problem?

Something not right there, I'd be sending it back

I got a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRll of flebay from a company called the cheetha express.It was completely defective and displayed the same fault as your lens is showing. I knew it was faulty straight away because when the zoom was moved in either direction 70-200,200-70 the lens went completely out of focus as though the focus ring was being turned from infinity to 2ft.The lens had been assembled wrong(brand new Nikon!).The lens you have got is completely faulty no way should a Canon 70-200mm IS ll USM produce rubbish like that.

Unless its waving about like a s***house door in a storm there is something fundamentally wrong with it
Return it soon as you can for refund or replacement, don't accept offer of repair

Certainly doesn't look right and I'd agree with Rich about returning it and not accepting a repair - where did you purchase it from ?

You also say you bought it a couple of days ago - have you told them you're not sure about it / not happy with the lens ? If not I certainly would recommend you do so to stop any possible problems from them - again, this applies if you are sending it back, get it back sooner rather than later...

Send it back. Lens is out of alignment and repairs are certainly going to cost over £100, probably £200-300 and you'll be lucky to get it fixed perfectly.

I'd buy the Sigma new or f/4 IS to be perfectly honest than mess around with this scrap.

Back