CANON 70-200mm f2.8 IS

Oh not long ... Since Thursday but it seems so much longer.

Bought it a new bag to sit in for when it comes back.

Not quite at the point of sending it a get well soon card though (but nearly)

My findings on the sharpness of this lens after one day

DOF... is measured in mm at 2.8. I tried a hand held shot of the wifes face with focus on her eye. I loaded it in the PC and set it to actual pixels and the eye was blurred. HOWEVER, the eyelid was as sharp as a pin!

So, if you are going to open this lens up, make sure you are steady and aim right.

OK, anyone got an alternative??:bat:
Does Canon have anything equivalent to the AF 180/2.8 nikkor? I find that a very acceptable alternative to the Nikon 70-200 VR, lots cheaper (mine is an early 90's job I got for 200-odd) has comparable image quality (some might argue purer and sharper) and so much lighter that you can take it with you on the off-chance that you may need it. I mostly use the 17-55 and a 105 VR, but it's very useful to be able to pull out the 180 if something is just a bit too far for the 105 to reach. Between the two of them I've never felt any pressing need for the big pro zoom.

My findings on the sharpness of this lens after one day

DOF... is measured in mm at 2.8. I tried a hand held shot of the wifes face with focus on her eye. I loaded it in the PC and set it to actual pixels and the eye was blurred. HOWEVER, the eyelid was as sharp as a pin!
Depth of field depends on focus distance and focal length; a couple of examples :

200mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 10 metres, DOF : 26cm
200mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 5 metres, DOF : 6cm

70mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 10 metres, DOF : 212cm
70mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 5 metres, DOF : 53cm

Depth of field depends on focus distance and focal length; a couple of examples :

200mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 10 metres, DOF : 26cm
200mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 5 metres, DOF : 6cm

70mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 10 metres, DOF : 212cm
70mm F2.8, Focus Distance : 5 metres, DOF : 53cm

I did something like this earlier today for the Canon 50mm f1.4 and forgot it also depends on the camera you use!! FF/1.3/1.6 are all different.

Hi all
lens returned from Canon (no cost except P+P to them)
So much better than before:) :) :)

That's great to hear. Sounds like good service to me. I bet you're well pleased.

A happy ending then?
We can but hope.

yeah well pleased and wicked fast service, +they send you an email on receipt with all the relevant numbers to track it at their place, if req'd.

sent out by ups with another email or two telling you the tracking no etc.

shipping charges back was classed as goodwill, oherwise it would have been a further £16.
10/10 to the boys/girls at Canon, until they let me down!

Well show us some examples then(y) (y)

Back