Canon 70-200mm F4L vs Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Name
Ben Gilbert
Edit My Images
No
So which is best guys? I have just gone over to Canon and have the 70-200mm F4L, which is very sharp, just worried that it may struggle in low light as I tend to shoot alot of rallys. I would buy the 70-200mm f2.8 canon, but its so bloody expensive!! I also have the 17-40mm f4, and am looking for another lens to complete my lineup, any suggestions?

Canon lens will hold the value much better and it is very sharp. Sigma is very sharp at 70mm but then it gets increasingly softer. You might have to stop down at f/5.6 to get decent sharpness there. Then what happens if Canon once again breaks the compatibility?
F/4 IS is another great lens worth considering.

Ben, keep the F/4, if the light goes show us your panning skills :)

Ooooh now I "may" be able to help with this one as I've got both. :)

Good and bad, yes the Canon can be a little slower than the Sigma, it's going to be, it's f4 vs f2.8. The Canon in the midrange would be my weapon of choice because it's tack sharp and feels, to me, like it's a little quicker to grab focus. So if you regularly shoot f4 and above for the depth of field you will love the Canon. The Sigma gives me the one thing the Canon can't, f2.8. So I use it for shooting at weddings for the subject isolation I can get with it. So whay don't I sell them both and get the Canon f2.8? Because it weighs a blooming ton! I'm only 5'4" and my hands are not the largest. I can hand hold the Sigma down to 1/60 and I tested the Canon f2.8IS and only managed the same. The extra weight just made me more unstable! lol. I don't make a good tripod obviously.

So down to you, if you need shallow depth of field the Sigma can yield very good results, if you shoot f4 and above, the Canon is a cracker.

That's a difficult one. The canon is very sharp, lighter, good colour rendition, maybe a little on the warm side for me.

The sigma is a bit heavier, I didn't find it any softer, in fact I found it sharper than the Canon F2.8IS, it's got F2.8, focusses just as well as the Canon in my experience and it's great value.

I have the 1st generation Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and agree with Neil that softness isn't an issue. However I have heard that the later lenses with the macro are a little soft at the 200mm end. If you dont need the macro try and do as I did and pick up a cheaper 1st generation lens and send it to Sigma for service.

I got a Canon White 100-400mm and the Sigma. I don't use the sigma that offten. only thing I don't like abaout the canon becasue of the color brigh to much atention

In what way do the colours bring to much attention? Do you mean they are to warm?

No mate they mean by having a big white lens stuck on the front of there camera for everyone to see...:D

md(y)

I recently got the F4L IS but TBH don't like using it.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like this! I thought it was me just being daft, but I hate having to get out the 70-200, it makes me feel like I should be a million times better than I am, and I feel *very* self conscious with it.

Well i can take the big white lens off your hands,dont bother me.:LOL:(y)

Back