canon 70-300 is usm question

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
hopefully there will be a few owners of this lens on here , i have a question regarding the focus ring , with the lens set to AF do any of you have any play in the focus ring , i am not suggesting forceing it , just wondering if anyone is seeing looseness , i am , and feel it is wrong that there is some :( , plus i get very variable results regarding AF focusing :bang:

I have just checked mine and there is some play, but only slight, perhaps a millimetre or so. It does make a fair amount of noise though.

Hi

Just checked mine, would agree Fitzy, very slight side ways movement, but nothing of any note

That lens does not have FTM (full time manual focus). If you have it set to AF, moving the focus ring will force the motordrive and maybe break it.

That lens does not have FTM (full time manual focus). If you have it set to AF, moving the focus ring will force the motordrive and maybe break it.

wasnt going to foce it , just concerned about the amount of freeplay there is :(

I have this lens
I don't touch the focus ring
there will be a bit of lag and play most likely when you touch the focus ring..perhaps to protect the auto focus motor from burning out from random friction and miss handling...I would consider designing in such a feature into the lens.

will check mine when I get home

plus i get very variable results regarding AF focusing :bang:

Canon issued this service note the lens to address some issues with focussing, image quality and zoom creep. It may be worth seeing if yours is affected. It's a free repair I think.
I keep meaning to check if mine is affected as well.

thanks but that repair is no applicable to mine , back to the shop with it i reckon , just not happy with it , i feel it is not me as i have no problem using the 18-55 kit lens :)

I had some probs on my 40D but I had a mucky auto focus sensor I think
a bit of a blower on there and it seems to be okay now
obviously focusing on flying seagulls against a bight sky can be hit and miss...depends what the camera sees

Canon issued this service note the lens to address some issues with focussing, image quality and zoom creep. It may be worth seeing if yours is affected. It's a free repair I think.
I keep meaning to check if mine is affected as well.

Great link, (y)

Just checked mine and not affected (y)

Back