Beginner Canon 700D Issue

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've run into a bit of an issue with my Canon 700D. I was taking a series of shots last Saturday when I noticed the shutter seemed to be just slightly too slow, as if it was sticking open just a bit.

Then after one shot it actually did stick open for a couple seconds. After this happened I can now see specks of dirt(?) in the viewfinder, but these aren't showing up in the photos.

I've blown air in and used a sensor cleaning kit, but no luck. Could there be dirt anywhere else that I'm missing, or does it sound like the mirror is damaged?

Cheers
Mark

If the shutter is sticking it’s likely on it’s way out.
dirt in the viewfinder has no effect on images, sensor dust has no effect on the shutter.

How was the exposure on the shot you took with it? did they look ok or were they too light? Also what mode were you in.
Does it only do it with one lens on or all the time with different lens?

First thing I always do with any odd behaviour is reset the camera to factory default.
Just in case you have activated an option in error, easy to do.

How was the exposure on the shot you took with it? did they look ok or were they too light? Also what mode were you in.
Does it only do it with one lens on or all the time with different lens?

Hard to tell, really - it was a cycle race so I didn't spent much time figuring it out when it happened. At first I thought maybe the battery had died, so I swapped it out even though it said it was full.
It was only the one time that it actually stuck and it was afterwards that I noticed the dots in the viewfinder.

Tried different lenses and they all show the same, using manual mode but as I said, nothing is showing up in the photos themselves.

In fairness, it's a 2nd hand 700D and I don't know what the shutter count is (it was my first dslr). I've brought a new 80D to replace it as my main camera with the hope that the 700D will work well enough as something I can just keep in my car or whatever.

Back