Beginner Canon 70d Depth of Field.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I've been taking photos for a while now and recently upgraded to a Canon 70d from a Canon 100d.
On the old camera there is a setting (A-Dep) which allows you to focus on something in the foreground of a scene and in the background at the same time. However there isn't a setting which allows you to do this on my 70d.

Does anyone know how to set the 70d to do this?

Thanks.

Apparently it was an underused feature and hence removed on anything from 50D onwards. Or at least that's what my google-fu tells me.

I had the A-Dep feature on my old 20D, I never used it. I've just read what it does and now I want to use it but I don't have it on my 60D, go figure!

Hi everyone.

On the old camera there is a setting (A-Dep) which allows you to focus on something in the foreground of a scene and in the background at the same time.
Does anyone know how to set the 70d to do this?

Thanks.

use aperture priority ,,,,,av on canon ?

A-Dep was rubbish, it decided what the nearest and furthest points were and used hyper focal focussing based on that.

The problem with that is that the camera really has no idea what you might want to be in focus.

Prior to A-Dep Canon had a mode called Dep, where you picked the nearest and farthest points, and that was useful, unlike it's automatic replacement.

If you want to do it yourself, read up on hyper focal focussing.

A-Dep was rubbish, it decided what the nearest and furthest points were and used hyper focal focussing based on that.

The problem with that is that the camera really has no idea what you might want to be in focus.

Prior to A-Dep Canon had a mode called Dep, where you picked the nearest and farthest points, and that was useful, unlike it's automatic replacement.

If you want to do it yourself, read up on hyper focal focussing.

Dep mode was really great on cameras with eye controlled focussing.

Back