Canon 70d disappointment

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I'm feeling demotivated and anxious. Last week i sold my 6d and replaced it with a 70d as my shooting went from semi pro (weddings and such) to leisure, mostly airshows/motorsports. On paper the 70d is the perfect camera for me. Modern AF, 7fps etc. In reality the 70d has massive focusing/blurry image issues and so its going back to MPB after very extensive testing. But what do I replace it with? I don't want to spend much more than I have (80d, 7d ii), and I don't trust a replacement will be any better. I find myself looking at older bodies like the 1d iii, 5d ii, 7d, or even back to a 6d. Would a 1d iii be a disappointment/lacking today? The articulated screen on the 70d is a nice feature, but do I really need 24mp as a hobbyist?

Like I said I just feel really deflated, annoyed and anxious now. Lost a lot of trust in Canon suddenly. Should have just stuck with my 6d as at least I knew it worked.

Hi all, I'm feeling demotivated and anxious. Last week i sold my 6d and replaced it with a 70d as my shooting went from semi pro (weddings and such) to leisure, mostly airshows/motorsports. On paper the 70d is the perfect camera for me. Modern AF, 7fps etc. In reality the 70d has massive focusing/blurry image issues and so its going back to MPB after very extensive testing. But what do I replace it with? I don't want to spend much more than I have (80d, 7d ii), and I don't trust a replacement will be any better. I find myself looking at older bodies like the 1d iii, 5d ii, 7d, or even back to a 6d. Would a 1d iii be a disappointment/lacking today? The articulated screen on the 70d is a nice feature, but do I really need 24mp as a hobbyist?

Like I said I just feel really deflated, annoyed and anxious now. Lost a lot of trust in Canon suddenly. Should have just stuck with my 6d as at least I knew it worked.

What's your budget? Have you looked at HDEW UK? https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-cameras-18-c.asp

The 80D can be got on there for new, as cheap as it fetches used from the likes of MPB. If you prefer something smaller and lighter with most of the functions of the 80D - and the same sensor, then scroll down and check out the 200D that's almost half the price again.

Well I have a 1D Mk3 and it's excellent - in fact unless there is a physical or electrical problem with a camera almost any DSLR with a decent lens will produce great shots - it's all up to the guy at the back.

It may only be 10MP but that's an advantage as far as I'm concerned - at 800 ISO the noise level is quite low.

And AI Gigapixel will easily increase that to 40MP!

It was plagued in the early days with AF problems all of which have now been fixed.

And at 10 fps which can be set to approx 5 fps if you wish it can cope with sports etc.

I bought mine on here S/H and, like always, was not disappointed.

And I must admit I do like the chunky feel of the 1D series - you know you have a REAL camera in your hands!

Like Tim I'd say get another 70D. You just got a bad one.

I've been happy with my 60D for years now - nowt much wrong with Canon brand.

OK rabid Nikon fans may disagree:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Thanks all, I appreciate the encouragement, the thing putting me off getting another 70d is there is so much poor feedback on it online, there is a 100 page thread on the canon forums with people reporting similar or exactly the same issues mine has had. The performance of this body has been so bad its completely put me off trying another. What sort of camera can't capture a sharp landscape in sunny conditions? It's crazy and the worst part is zero acknowledgement from Canon, no attempt at admitting a fault or rectifying it. Funnily enough they returned peoples cameras in an improved state but reported "working perfectly no work needed". Shocking. Perhaps this explains why MPB have so many in stock? Mine is going back to them tomorrow and i'm still undecided on what to replace it with. A 7d mk1 does everything I need of a camera so I may just get one of those, but lets be honest those were also not without their problems. The 1d iii is also appealing in a big way, with a slightly larger sensor as a bonus. Its exhausting having to worry about this stuff on top of lifes problems, photography is supposed to be fun escapism not stressful.

Last edited:
Why was the 6d not suitable for leisure photography?

I had a 6d that was equally bad as your 70d, brand new and it was dreadful, focus was completely out, went straight back and bought a used 5d mkII.
Can't recommend a 7d mk I either, real devil of a camera for noise even at low iso unless you get exposure spot on, brilliant handling though.

Hope your second camera is much better, does the 80d get equally bad things said about it, if not maybe worth the extra money to give that a go

Last edited:
In hindsight i wish I'd kept my 6d and just bought a second aps-c body for airshows and motorsports - 50d's look like a real bargain at the moment. I basically wanted an aps-c with fast fps and more advanced AF, the only two areas that let down the 6d IMO. Still waiting for MPB to despatch my replacement body, but fingers crossed it does the job its supposed to!

I read a lot about the nightmare grain issues of the 7d which is why I avoided it in the end.

I've never had focussing issues with my 70D + kit lens. Link to the 100-page thread?

I think the 6D is a hard act to follow image-quality wise, particularly for the price used ones sell for these days. However, if you definitely need more AF points or faster FPS then I'd probably go for a 5Diii or go for broke and get a 5D iv, or if on a tight budget and wanted the crop magnification effect then I'd probably look at some reviews of the 7D ii.

I have a 77d which produces nice images with kit lens but great images with the L lens. Maybe a happy midway between the 70 and 80?

Paired with my 24-70 L f2.8 ii even my 100d takes a great pic!

I think is 75% lens and 25% body nowadays, because they are all so close technology wise I would choose a body for iso or speed capabilities, size and weight rather than image quality.

T

I've also got a 70D, it doesn't get as much use since I bought my 5D4, but it's always worked well and still does after about 60000 sc. The only issue I have with it is that the wheel on the back seems to jump when using it. It doesn't bother me though - I can use the touchscreen or just lock it. I used it this weekend because I wanted something lighter with more reach. I have no issues with sharpness like a few people have reported around the internet.

Here is just one thread online for those interested

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1354075

I'm glad to hear some positive thoughts on the 70d. That's what I was hoping for really I think when I started this discussion. They can't all be broken can they?

I had considered the 77d, amazing camera for the money, only thing that put me off was the lack of micro af ajustment which I've needed for primes and tele's before.

I agree dslr tech is all so similar now. I honestly haven't seen an appreciable difference in image quality since I had a 600d (generalising a bit).

A 5d III or 1d series would have been an ideal all in one solution but I wasn't looking to spend that much really as my photography is now a much less frequent pasttime (only airshows and motorsports last year, and a few trips/holidays).

The new 70d should be with me tomorrow so fingers crossed. Cheers all!

I had no problems whatsoever with my 70D
My 7D (Mk1) on the other hand ……… best left unsaid
I got a bit disillusioned with Canon.
Although they seem to be lagging behind other brands they still make good cameras.
However, I'm now fully Sony and never looked back.

I suspect its mpb and not canon that is your problem. Should have gone private purchase

Never had any problems with mpb, and they were very helpful with my exchange. The second one seems to be working perfectly, no focus or oof issues, but the real test will be airshows :) No problems whatsoever on a little walk out with it. That said the 5d classic i've bought to go alongside it is a little peach, reminds me of my old 6d!

Back