Canon 70mm 200mm f4 USM should I buy it?

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Linky here

Ok so I have a Canon 450D

i currently have a sigma 70mm - 300mm lens which I want to replace with an L-glass.

Will I find the 200mm end too short compared to the sigma, or will i be able to crop much further due to the better glass?

I would ideally like the 2.8 but I cant justify the expense.

Grrrr do I just order it now the f4.... anyone got any experience with this lens?

I had a sigma 70-200 and replaced it with a 70-200 usm l (second hand)

It's chuffin brill. 80% of my bird (flickr)shots have been taken with it they're pretty much all cropped. See what you think.

Yes, buy it! Its excellent, you wont believe the image quality.

...but save a few £££ and buy a 2nd hand one, they're built well.

£499 at Mifsuds currently, dunno if they offer finance though.

Right.. selling old lenses.... old flash gun... old camera.. and borrowing the rest and buying the lens next week...
Grrrr cant wait..

Just in time for thruxton on the 4th... yay :)

You always remember your first L lens

Ooooo wonder how much it would be in Jessops... Buying outright I dont need to go through warehouse express......

£529.00 at the last check ;)
I'm saving for one as well!

Try Kerso on here, he has a brilliant habit of being able to do things cheap :)

If you're set on getting an L lens, you won't want to listen to this, but I think you'll be better off with a 70-300 IS.

It's an excellent lens that you will find hard to tell from the L, plus you will need the extra reach and also benefit from the image stabilisation. And it's cheaper.

Cropping can sometimes be useful when all else fails, but it never beats using the proper focal length in the first place.

If you're set on getting an L lens, you won't want to listen to this, but I think you'll be better off with a 70-300 IS.

It's an excellent lens that you will find hard to tell from the L, plus you will need the extra reach and also benefit from the image stabilisation. And it's cheaper.

Cropping can sometimes be useful when all else fails, but it never beats using the proper focal length in the first place.

If you cropped in on the 70-300 IS 100%.. would you be able to tell the difference comared to the L glass?

Awesome lens. I bought mine 2nd hand when I just had a 400d and the results were amazing when put next to the cheapo sigma lens I bought with the camera. I wish I could have afforded the IS version but it really is an awesome lens.

If you cropped in on the 70-300 IS 100%.. would you be able to tell the difference comared to the L glass?

Oh yes, the L lens is better at 100%. That is an enormous magnification, but if that's a priority for you, the L is the one.

I just think that you might find the real world benefits of extra focal length and IS, could be a better all-round choice. Just a thought :)

Defo get one mate, you will not regret it for the sheer quality it produces!
I got my 70-200 F4 from jessops for £529 with finance and I also managed to get them to take a deposit of £300 so now my monthly payments are only for £38.
If anyone wants info on how to achieve the higher deposit let me know and I will be happy to explain.

Defo get one mate, you will not regret it for the sheer quality it produces!
I got my 70-200 F4 from jessops for £529 with finance and I also managed to get them to take a deposit of £300 so now my monthly payments are only for £38.
If anyone wants info on how to achieve the higher deposit let me know and I will be happy to explain.

Odd question.. Does it come with a lens hood?:thinking:

I hired the 28-300mm from Stewart.. I already have it :shake:

There's no hope for you then! :LOL:

I first exhibited symptoms after borrowing a friend's 70-200 f/4L and came out in hives until I bought the 70-200 f/4L IS!! :D

I've just recently purchased the 70-200mm F4 L IS USM.........it's an amazing lens, so sharp and fast auto focus. I believe the non-IS version is not as sharp from what I've read on the forums but still amazingly good.

If you are considering getting one, I really suggest you get it used........I've seen non-IS sell for £300, and I got my IS version for £600.

If you will be using handheld at all, you should probably get the IS version, as it is sharper and the IS really helps especially at 200mm.

I definitely wouldn't buy new from a retailer........because at over £500 for non-IS version, add a little more and you can get the IS version used. Usually people who own these lenses keep them in excellent condition anyway.

I've just recently purchased the 70-200mm F4 L IS USM.........it's an amazing lens, so sharp and fast auto focus. I believe the non-IS version is not as sharp from what I've read on the forums but still amazingly good.

If you are considering getting one, I really suggest you get it used........I've seen non-IS sell for £300, and I got my IS version for £600.

If you will be using handheld at all, you should probably get the IS version, as it is sharper and the IS really helps especially at 200mm.

I definitely wouldn't buy new from a retailer........because at over £500 for non-IS version, add a little more and you can get the IS version used. Usually people who own these lenses keep them in excellent condition anyway.

That's a good point....

Right.. anyone selling an IS version? :naughty:

I suggest constantly scouting the classifieds forum as they tend to sell pretty quickly, that's where I got mine recently. Also, you could try to post a Wanted thread in Wanted section.

If you really want a new IS version send a PM to KERSO on here.

While not selling them for £600 you will save a substantial amount on the high street / UK on line retailer price. And very quick delivery as well.

HTH

David

Yes, definitely get the 70-200 F4L - its a wonderful lens.

Yes, the quality of the pics are so good that you can crop them without ending up with rubbish pics - but obviously only if you have taken a decent shot in the first place :LOL:

Its a very versatile lens as it has a limiter on the side for taking pics at around 4ft away.

I use this lens a huge amount in the summer for my dragonfly shots.

If you want to look for a second hand one, then Bird Forum classified section is also a very good place to find one:
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=649

Linda

When I had my 400D I went from the same Sigma 70-300 to the canon 70-200 F4 IS, and had the same worry ie: would I miss the other 100mm, nah, not for one minute did I regret it (did catch the L bug though) the sigma is not in the same league, just do it.

Back