Beginner Canon 760D help

Name
Clare
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have a 'big' birthday coming up and have decided that this is a good opportunity to upgrade from my Panasonic FZ48 bridge camera to a DSLR.

I am very much a beginner and was wondering if the Canon 760D would be a sensible choice for me. Some reviews suggest it is more advanced than say the 750D, although they do say it shouldn`t be harder to use once familiar with it. The 750D would probably be fine, but I'm unlikely to upgrade regularly, so maybe the 760D is more future proof.

As far as types of photo I'm likely to take, pictures of my son, landscapes, buildings (think churches, Cotswoldy cottages) a few aeroplanes occassionally (although the FZ48 could help there).

Would I get away with one lens for now, and if so, have you any recommendations? Any advice and any thoughts on accessories or places to buy online would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure we have an independent camera shop here, so may need to rely on the internet.

Thanks for any help, Clare

Hi Claire, the 750d looks pretty decent, I am unfamiliar with it though (I own a 600d and a 6d) but the specs on the camera look great. Having an EOS camera, will open up a whole lot of lens choice for you, so camera aside (it looks great, I think thats a good camera to upgrade to), lenses - though they're not cheap. To cover "everything" in one lens, it will get very expensive ! (sigma 50-500 F4) from around £800-£1000 and thats not going to cover you on wide-angle views unfortunately but great for portraits through to shooting birds/planes etc.. with a decent amount of light.

You can go for cheaper lenses or lower-end lenses, even from good manufacturers such as Tamron and Canon itself, but image quality (sharpness/chromatic aberration) is something you need to keep in mind too. You will get, what you pay for. If you see the 600mm lenses going for £99, its because they "worth" £99 - not much quality but it will give you almost telescopic viewing. Google is your friend as well as websites with reviews on lenses. I do not recommend going for the cheap lenses though, purely on poor image quality/build.

There are many good online camera stores, digitalrev, parkcameras - just google canon eos lens and you'll get a load of suppliers. If you see a supplier that is more than £100 difference to its competitors - it may be grey import - which means you will either be getting no warranty with that lens or possibly stung for VAT when it turns up in your country. Check on the company background, google its name followed by "bad reviews" and see what pops up or ask about the company in this forum.

Sorry I cant help further - its a rats-nest of choice when it comes to lenses and you will be spoilt for choice.

Definitely go for the 760d or for not much more now 70d, as for a lens Canon 18-135mm is a sound choice or the much better 15-85mm.

I have the 760D. Lovely camera, the sensor is great and it is relatively small and light without feeling cheap. Would recommend it. Got it for a good price from digital rev including the 18-135mm stm lens which works nicely for both photos and videos with its silent AF.

You can later add a second hand sigma 150-500mm for planes and wildlife for around £350

Last edited:
Back