Canon 7D - Error 40

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
My Canon 7D just went back to the shop :thumbsdown:

Bought 28th Sept, been exceptionally happy with it (albeit a bit noisier at ISO100/200 than expected).

Was shooting a few test shots with a 128mb card in, as I left my normal CF in the card reader at work and the camera gives me an error message on the back telling me it can't record the photo and to replace the battery.

So I do, and all i get now is 'err 40' on the top screen. :(

Tried 2 different official canon batteries, both fully charged, the error comes up as soon as the battery compartment is closed, even before its turned on.

Very annoying, apparently it's been sent off to Canon to be fixed, and might take weeks. I'm having to make do with the 450D which frankly feels a bit small after I've got used to the 7D!

Anyone else had error 40??? :cautious:

Sorry to hear about your 7D, must be very frustrating!

Welcome to the forum!

you did try a bigger card after changeing the battery ? 128mb is way to small if you were shooting raw.
Rob.

Cheers, been a reader for months, but decided that my baby breaking was reason enough to see if anyone else had experienced similiar...

Yeah, 128mb is good for 2 shots at 18mpix! lol

I tried my 8gb extreme iii, but by that point the camera was giving the error before it was turned on, so no combination of lens, card or battery helped. :(

Did you try without a card in? Perhaps the old 128mb card bnt a pin or something.

From what I have heard its a issue with the electrical contacts in the actual camera. Apparently can be resolved be cleaning them with the correct gear, sounds to me like they may have been contaminated or something during assembly .

Hope you get sorted soon

Matt

Tried it without any card orville.

I read somewhere it could be to do with battery terminals. They all looked perfectly clean/new/fine. I blew on them (naturally), and tried both batteries I have. No luck so I can only assume a contact in the camera itself is dodgey.

No word back from Canon yet, but I hope they're busy fixing it :)

Just had a call from shop to say my 7D is fixed - they had to replace the entire CF card slot.

Apparently using shooting 18mpix RAW+JPG isn't a good idea on a 128mb card!!!

Turn around was 7 days. I'm just happy to get it back to be honest.

My Canon 7D just went back to the shop :thumbsdown:

Bought 28th Sept, been exceptionally happy with it (albeit a bit noisier at ISO100/200 than expected).

Was shooting a few test shots with a 128mb card in, as I left my normal CF in the card reader at work and the camera gives me an error message on the back telling me it can't record the photo and to replace the battery.

So I do, and all i get now is 'err 40' on the top screen. :(

Tried 2 different official canon batteries, both fully charged, the error comes up as soon as the battery compartment is closed, even before its turned on.

Very annoying, apparently it's been sent off to Canon to be fixed, and might take weeks. I'm having to make do with the 450D which frankly feels a bit small after I've got used to the 7D!

Anyone else had error 40??? :cautious:

I STARTED GETTING SAME ERROR BATTERY WAS NOT READING PROPERLY.THEN IT WOULD SWITCH OFF.SILLY ME THOUGHT IT WAS NOT CHARGED FULLY.SO CHARGED AGAIN TOOK SOME PHOTOS TODAY THEN I GOT THE SAME MESSAGE AS YOU ERROR 40 BUT MINE SHOWED UP WHEN CAMERA WAS SWITCHED OFF! SO HAVE TO REMOVE BATTERY.CONTACTING SUPPLIER ABOUT RETURN.:cautious:Problem is that when you buy anything online its you that has to pay to send it back and cover any insurance and be without a camera what happened to the days when you could buy equipment and it worked!:bonk:

I STARTED GETTING SAME ERROR BATTERY WAS NOT READING PROPERLY.THEN IT WOULD SWITCH OFF.SILLY ME THOUGHT IT WAS NOT CHARGED FULLY.SO CHARGED AGAIN TOOK SOME PHOTOS TODAY THEN I GOT THE SAME MESSAGE AS YOU ERROR 40 BUT MINE SHOWED UP WHEN CAMERA WAS SWITCHED OFF! SO HAVE TO REMOVE BATTERY.CONTACTING SUPPLIER ABOUT RETURN.:cautious:Problem is that when you buy anything online its you that has to pay to send it back and cover any insurance and be without a camera what happened to the days when you could buy equipment and it worked!:bonk:

Perhaps the message here is negotiate a good price with your local retailer, accept it will be slightly more than on line and have peace of mind that if this sort of situation occurs you will receive better and easier service!!

Perhaps the message here is negotiate a good price with your local retailer, accept it will be slightly more than on line and have peace of mind that if this sort of situation occurs you will receive better and easier service!!
Very few electronic goods I puchase have actually gone wrong within the warranty period. The only item I can think of is an old laptop purchased online (DELL) which was collected and replaced within 3-4days. IMO, the savings you can make online (or overseas) greatly outweigh the costs of postage and a few days delay. There are some online retailer you should stay clear of (Overclockers.co.uk is a prime example) but most most popular sites have well established returns procedures and many will collect and return free of charge.

Sorry to hear you have the same error Tobler.

Mine gave the error with the camera switched OFF too. You have to take the battery out to shut it up. But as soon as you close the battery cover with it reinserted the error comes back before you've even turned the camera on.

New card slot for you! You should get it back in a week or so.

Hello 7D owners.
Today I had my first problem with Err 40.

After getting the error; turning the camera off and back on again -did nothing.
Took the out battery and in again. After showing 999 [false free space report] there it was again. Detached my 70-200mm and repeated the procedure.
[999] folowed by Err 40 -there it was again!.., 've turned it off, removed the CF card twice or thrice, and back in again [999] was there; when I started pushing buttons display went reporting Busy and after a while would go to Err 40 again. Repeated the whole procedure; removed everything and back in now without a CF Card -wouldn't even give a sing... inserted the CF back in and switched on. Good, there are sings of life...

Well, this is the step that made it come back. While still showing [999] I've turned to change the program and while switching presets, it started showing something like [287] free space!

Good,...
It's finally reading the cared, hooked it on my PC, and started manually copying both folders from CF to the desktop immediately. [says it needs more than 5 hours to complete, -(about 59GB' filled) but who cares]...

Still copying...

Nope! its has finished.

Now I'm going to format the CF Card from within my 7D and see what happens. I'm pretty sure the card file access algorithm got messed because their ware control aglo is far form perfect ... deleting images in different clusters sometimes from my PC sometimes from within Canon and similar, just messes it up but air humidity might have contributed also - there was a heavy rain last time I've used it.

Might save, whoever you might be, the trouble from sending it back,;the time it takes, or the money...

Hello 7D owners.
Today I had my first problem with Err 40.

After getting the error; turning the camera off and back on again -did nothing.
Took the out battery and in again. After showing 999 [false free space report] there it was again. Detached my 70-200mm and repeated the procedure.
[999] folowed by Err 40 -there it was again!.., 've turned it off, removed the CF card twice or thrice, and back in again [999] was there; when I started pushing buttons display went reporting Busy and after a while would go to Err 40 again. Repeated the whole procedure; removed everything and back in now without a CF Card -wouldn't even give a sing... inserted the CF back in and switched on. Good, there are sings of life...

Well, this is the step that made it come back. While still showing [999] I've turned to change the program and while switching presets, it started showing something like [287] free space!

Good,...
It's finally reading the cared, hooked it on my PC, and started manually copying both folders from CF to the desktop immediately. [says it needs more than 5 hours to complete, -(about 59GB' filled) but who cares]...

Still copying...

Nope! its has finished.

Now I'm going to format the CF Card from within my 7D and see what happens. I'm pretty sure the card file access algorithm got messed because their ware control aglo is far form perfect ... deleting images in different clusters sometimes from my PC sometimes from within Canon and similar, just messes it up but air humidity might have contributed also - there was a heavy rain last time I've used it.

Might save, whoever you might be, the trouble from sending it back,;the time it takes, or the money...

I don't understand your procedure above. Could you be more specific?

I had this same error message... Err 40, and Canon just sent me back the repaired camera, but in case it happens again, or if it happens out of warranty, I want to be able to get it out of this freeze without having to send to Canon

2 new members on this thread dont think Ive seen that happen before a thread from 2009 , anyway

Welcome to TP hjl116, Troy III (y)

Last edited:
From what I have heard its a issue with the electrical contacts in the actual camera. Apparently can be resolved be cleaning them with the correct gear, sounds to me like they may have been contaminated or something during assembly .

Hope you get sorted soon

Matt

This doesn't make sense, I have the same error and am able to use the video function of my 7d without any problems but when I try take a picture I get the ERR 40 and have to shut it down and take the battery out to restart it. If it had anything to do with the contacts on the battery compartment then the video wouldn't be working at all would it?

2 new members on this thread dont think Ive seen that happen before a thread from 2009 , anyway

Welcome to TP hjl116, Troy III (y)

expensive piece of equipment to be losing to a fault due to poor manufacturing. I have to search everywhere for any information I can find.

Back