Canon 7D Major firmware update

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
London, UK, 28 June 2012 – Canon today enhances the EOS 7D with firmware v2, adding a range of new features for enthusiasts looking to push the limits of their photography. Building on the camera's high speed, advanced handling and creative versatility, the new firmware provides photographers with a host of new benefits including higher maximum RAW burst rate, in-camera editing functions, user-definable Auto ISO and support for Canon's latest GPS Receiver, GP

DP review details

Sounds good to me, will let a few people upgrade first to see if it all goes ok

I wonder if this means the predicted 7D mk 2 isnt on the cards for this year. The update does look interesting, and as they have such a well selling camera I cant see that there's a commercial need to bring out an updated version just yet. Personally, a new model 7D would have to be something very special to make me change.

Saw this this morning myself. Not sure how much it will affect the way i use it - but always useful to be able to do more things with it if needed.

Looks very interesting and will increase the attractiveness of the 7D, but irritating we have to wait 6 weeks before it is downloadable..................

I know it'll never happen.... but... I'd love it if they brought out a similar firmware update for the 5D Mark II, which gave you the better auto ISO options.

The update is to help keep the 7D paper spec details "above" that of the 60D and 650D. It helps justify the extra cost until the 7DII arrives, probably next year.

The update will be made to help retain or improve 7D sales rather than to support existing customers, whom Canon wiould hope will upgrade to a 5DIII or 7DII when it arrives. It is just a nice bonus for us existing 7D owners, being probably the most substantial firmware upgrade ever released for any DSLR from any manufacturer.

Just wondering how much more capability there is hidden in a 7D, suppose all manufacturers are selling us "neutered" cameras with many firmware updates possible further down the line!

Anyone into hacking firmware??

As with most electronics now - everything is built to a higher spec and then the "extra" features on it are just turned off in the software.
Case in point - i have a 32gb Ipad that when you open it up, it has the 64gb version in! Its just cheaper to use 1 lot of components

The ISO settings and the higher burst rate (25 frames instead of 18) would interest me, but not much else. I can’t understand the need for in camera image editing and image rating on a camera of this type. Surly most people with cameras at this level will be doing their editing on a computer with much better software

Really surprised by this :) Looking forward to being able to set max auto ISO and rating images whilst out and about would be usefull to me other than that not much I would use. I can see how the bigger burst buffer could be killer for sports/wild life

I could do with this at the weekend. Why 6 weeks

Long overdue - will give my 7D a whole new lease of life. However I will wait a few eeks until others have updated to make sure it's robust.

Pleasantly surprised by this news looking forward to the auto iso mainly. I actually thought the eos email in my inbox was initially announcing a 7d2 and felt overcome with envy lol!

Ps and the in camera rating is a big bonus as I can rate as **** for most of the shots i produce straight away before Lightroom!

Last edited:
The audio levels for video shooting will come in very handy, I think... Tried some video at a friend's gig once but the distortion due to the levels of noise was hideous, lots of crackling and generally naff sound!

Only other thing that would of made a massive difference with very little effort would of been more bracketing options, maybe they could add that to v2.1?
Fully agree. For me this would be much more welcome than inproved FPS, faster review and Auto ISO. This is one area where Nikon trump Canon's equivelent parts.

Last edited:
That's called the 5D MK III :)

This is interesting - I don't think I can remember such a substantial firmware upgrade for any camera, let alone one that is nearly 3 years old.

It would seem to indicate that a MK2 version of the 7D isn't in the offing for a while, but it's difficult to see how it can be substantially improved at the moment sufficiently to justify a new model.

I'd think they're close to the limit on pixel count and noise performance with the current model, so I for one don't want to see an upgrade with minor tweaks just for the sake of it.

If it had a sensor equalling that in the Nex 7 it would be a truly awesome wildlife camera with 6 million more pixels for effective reach and significantly better noise performance.

This is interesting - I don't think I can remember such a substantial firmware upgrade for any camera, let alone one that is nearly 3 years old.

It would seem to indicate that a MK2 version of the 7D isn't in the offing for a while, but it's difficult to see how it can be substantially improved at the moment sufficiently to justify a new model.

I'd think they're close to the limit on pixel count and noise performance with the current model, so I for one don't want to see an upgrade with minor tweaks just for the sake of it.

If it had a sensor equalling that in the Nex 7 it would be a truly awesome wildlife camera with 6 million more pixels for effective reach and significantly better noise performance.

it certainly looks like it won't be in the short term....

Trying not to be too greedy in my 7D2 wishlist.....
  • 1Dx/5D3 focus system
  • In camera HDR as the 5D3
  • New sensor with 1-2 stops additionally usable
  • 22-24mp for extra crop ability
  • APS-H just to throw something different into the mix?

If they took a long hard look at Magic Lantern and rolled in those features (which are obviously possible) they could sell the upgrade almost on those features alone

No, but as it works on most of the other models it should be achievable - ML just had difficulty executing the code, but Canon will know how to do that part.

Back