Canon 7d mark 2, or Canon 6d?

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using a 700d for the last 2 years for my work, and it has worked well, but I am coming close to the 100,000 expected shutter life (I do understand it can go over), and think I can now justify a new camera. I cannot decide between the 6d or a 7d m2. The 6d is full frame, but the 7d m2 is newer, and has some good features. I have done lots of research and not sure I can justify the 6d just because it is full frame, and lose out on the 7d features.
I do a range of photography, from shows (low light? full frame is better?), and general events.
I currently have a 70-200 f4 L, 18-55 (kit), 430ex speedlight, and some other bits, but for many events, I have access to a canon 5d mark3, and 24-105 f4 (long story, but basically its my step dads - but I still want my own camera that I know I can always use)
What would you do in my shoes?

Totally depends on what you shoot. In your case, as you say you shoot a wide range of stuff, I'd say stick with the 7D2. The 6D would offer slightly better quality and better high-ISO/low-light performance but the 7D2 is a better all-rounder.

In addition, on the lens front, the 18-55 would be useless on the 6D and the 70-200 may well not offer the reach you need either.

Thanks Vertigo, that is what I was urging towards, I forgot to mention that I can use a Sigma 28-70 2.8, which is perfect for the 6d, but I am still edging towards the 7d :)

If you do go full frame i would suggest you ditch that crop design lens entirely, just in case.
Have you had hold of both cameras? Sometimes something just feels right.

I'm lucky enough to have both :)

I use the 7D2 for fast stuff or good light & the 6D for slow stuff or poor light, it all depends on the target

Simple (probably incorrect) but it works for me :)

Rumpface, I have had a go several times with both, and still unsure, I would like to ditch my kit, but unfortunately I lack the budget at the moment, but hopefully with a few more jobs I will :), and m
If you do go full frame i would suggest you ditch that crop design lens entirely, just in case.
Have you had hold of both cameras? Sometimes something just feels right.
For me the 7d mark 2, felt right, but my brain was telling me to go for the 6d, as it was full frame..

I'm lucky enough to have both :)

I use the 7D2 for fast stuff or good light & the 6D for slow stuff or poor light, it all depends on the target

Simple (probably incorrect) but it works for me :)
If you could only keep one, which one would it be?

I'm normally pointing my lenses at fast moving Motorsport or wildlife so if I had to choose.....it would be the 7D2

but don't tell MrsG ;)
haha, I can't make any promises :p
I do like something that can focus fast, and I suppose the 7d is a newer camera,

haha, I can't make any promises :p
I do like something that can focus fast, and I suppose the 7d is a newer camera,
Don't worry about what's "new", just what you shoot and whether the camera offers that ability for you. The two cameras are completely different beasts.

George, you said you do shows and general events. Do the latter include fast-moving subjects? If so then the 7D2 should be under consideration ahead of the 6D. Remember of course that you always have access to your step dad's 5D3. This combination in a sense gives you the best of both worlds, FF and fast shooting. That said, when I used a 1D4 in tandem with my 5D3, I would get quite frustrated at having to keep changing lenses. When I shoot wide, I like it to stay wide. Now I simply take two 5D3s to any shoot, sport included. I have shot hockey with surprising good results. 6fps is no slouch. It was only a few years ago that pro shooters had a max of 5 with the 1Ds3. What I'm angling at is that you could also consider a used and low-mileage 5D3 or buy one from some of the sources discussed in some of the other pages here. With the 5D3 you have low light and a reasonably fast shooting speed. I lurve mine.

Hope I haven't made the choice more difficult!! Really though, pick the body that gets the job done for you but do remember that the 5D3 offers better IQ and low light. Are these vital considerations?

Last edited:
George, you said you do shows and general events. Do the latter include fast-moving subjects? If so then the 7D2 should be under consideration ahead of the 6D. Remember of course that you always have access to your step dad's 5D3. This combination in a sense gives you the best of both worlds, FF and fast shooting. That said, when I used a 1D4 in tandem with my 5D3, I would get quite frustrated at having to keep changing lenses. When I shoot wide, I like it to stay wide. Now I simply take two 5D3s to any shoot, sport included. I have shot hockey with surprising good results. 6fps is no slouch. It was only a few years ago that pro shooters had a max of 5 with the 1Ds3. What I'm angling at is that you could also consider a used and low-mileage 5D3 or buy one from some of the sources discussed in some of the other pages here. With the 5D3 you have low light and a reasonably fast shooting speed. I lurve mine.

Hope I haven't made the choice more difficult!! Really though, pick the body that gets the job done for you but do remember that the 5D3 offers better IQ and low light. Are these vital considerations?
Hi Houston, I'm a bit uncertain about buying a second hand camera, but the 5d Mark3 is an excellent camera, but I will consider looking in the second hand market, I suppose most licensed shops should have a warranty and guarantee anyway if something was to go wrong. :)

A well known online shop that rhymes with specs give a 12 month warranty on all their secondhand items so well worth considering them if you do decide to buy used. They also sell 'OB' items which are returns from buyers that have changed their minds so in effect new but opened boxes.
Hope this helps

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but would you consider a grey or used 5D3 as it would offer the best of both (except the reach of the 7d2). Buying grey from companies such as Panamoz offers very good warranty, 3 yrs in this case, and many shops selling second hand offer 6-12m warranty.

I actually find it strange that, when comparing crop and full frame bodies, most people seem to focus (no pun intended) on frame rates, image quality and AF systems and rarely mention the the crop factor itself and the difference it makes to "reach" (let's not start debating focal length technical rubbish again).

The difference between the same focal length lens on a full frame or crop sensor is massive. A wide lens on full frame isn't very wide any more on a crop and a long lens on a crop is suddenly nowhere near as long on full frame. This needs consideration also. When I moved from crop to full frame, I was staggered at the difference it made and how my 70-200 became a totally different lens - no longer a 'telephoto' but almost a walkabout lens. The loss of ultimate reach at 200mm was marked, to the point I'm now looking at a 100-400 to compensate.

I actually find it strange that, when comparing crop and full frame bodies, most people seem to focus (no pun intended) on frame rates, image quality and AF systems and rarely mention the the crop factor itself and the difference it makes to "reach" (let's not start debating focal length technical rubbish again).

The difference between the same focal length lens on a full frame or crop sensor is massive. A wide lens on full frame isn't very wide any more on a crop and a long lens on a crop is suddenly nowhere near as long on full frame. This needs consideration also. When I moved from crop to full frame, I was staggered at the difference it made and how my 70-200 became a totally different lens - no longer a 'telephoto' but almost a walkabout lens. The loss of ultimate reach at 200mm was marked, to the point I'm now looking at a 100-400 to compensate.
Yep, I made reference to this and it does make a difference. That being said you can get TC's to compensate (with the consequent loss of light and, depending on which TC, slight loss of IQ), and with the ever increasing MP you can crop the image quite heavily.

Yeah TCs can compensate somewhat although with the drawbacks you mention, plus they don't work on all lenses and don't help at the wide end of things. Cropping is also an option but you lose resolution/quality. All down to 'pixels per duck' :)

Yeah TCs can compensate somewhat although with the drawbacks you mention, plus they don't work on all lenses and don't help at the wide end of things. Cropping is also an option but you lose resolution/quality. All down to 'pixels per duck' :)
Re the wide end itd still be as wide as it would on a crop body :p

Well yeah but the opposite applies - a "wide" lens on full frame suddenly isn't on a crop. For example I see a lot of people asking about 24-70 or 24-105 lenses for use on a crop and, if you don't have anything wide, I wouldn't recommend it as 24mm isn't very wide at all on a crop.

Well yeah but the opposite applies - a "wide" lens on full frame suddenly isn't on a crop. For example I see a lot of people asking about 24-70 or 24-105 lenses for use on a crop and, if you don't have anything wide, I wouldn't recommend it as 24mm isn't very wide at all on a crop.
Well yes, that's why you need to understand effective focal length.

Not such a great change going to FF from a 1.3 crop which is what I did. Leaving price out of the equation image quality FPS and AF are the three main reasons that many, including myself, put at the top of the list in choosing a camera. The priority given to each will depend on your type of photography.

I had a 7D MkII, bought specifically for the crop advantage, and hardly used it as I preferred to use a 1.4 converter on my 1DX as the image quality was better than the MkII. Ending up selling the MkII.

Not sure why you even bothered with a 7D2 if you have a 1DX. The 1DX has it all - the image quality, frame rate, AF & high-iso performance.

Not sure why you even bothered with a 7D2 if you have a 1DX. The 1DX has it all - the image quality, frame rate, AF & high-iso performance.

Probably for this reason :p

I had a 7D MkII, bought specifically for the crop advantage, and hardly used it as I preferred to use a 1.4 converter on my 1DX as the image quality was better than the MkII. Ending up selling the MkII.

I bought it to pair with a 100-400 MkII for the times I didn't want to take my 500 with me and for the flexibility when I was taking both cameras

Hi Houston, I'm a bit uncertain about buying a second hand camera, but the 5d Mark3 is an excellent camera, but I will consider looking in the second hand market, I suppose most licensed shops should have a warranty and guarantee anyway if something was to go wrong. :)

You're quite right George. They will offer some form of warranty so you can buy with confidence especially from the trusted sources. Apart from the likes of MPB, all the main dealers such as Park Cameras or Wex, London Camera Exchange will provide some form of guarantee. You could also look at ApertureUK who from my own observation, offer some very keen prices. Not certain about warranty on used equipment but their repaired stuff carry a 6m warranty.

The 5D3 is such a lovely camera for for my money, quite the most versatile body. I imagine you may agree too.

Good hunting :)

You're quite right George. They will offer some form of warranty so you can buy with confidence especially from the trusted sources. Apart from the likes of MPB, all the main dealers such as Park Cameras or Wex, London Camera Exchange will provide some form of guarantee. You could also look at ApertureUK who from my own observation, offer some very keen prices. Not certain about warranty on used equipment but their repaired stuff carry a 6m warranty.

The 5D3 is such a lovely camera for for my money, quite the most versatile body. I imagine you may agree too.

Good hunting :)
I would just like to add Harrisons to that list too, and their 2nd warranty is for 12M too compared to 6M offered from some others.

I have both, 7dmk2 for birds and sport, and 6d for landscapes and portraits. Don't own any efs lenses anymore though. Widest lens I have is Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye, longest is Sigma 150-600. No gaps in the range, 16-35L, 24-105L, 80-200L. Just wish they both had the same control layout - i'm easily confused!!

Yeah the differing control layouts are a pain - I find the 5D3 vastly better in this regard and the 7D2 is almost identical.

Back