Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

P459 of the manual shows how to add My Menu tabs. You can have 6 items per tab, same as 1dx but you can now have multiple tabs instead of just 1.

Last edited:
Just going through the JPGs of my very fast moving dog now, and I think I am going to hate this camera - there are so many more keepers than I got from my 7D it will mean much more time in front of the computer! :-D

I am VERY happy with the AF - not really knowing what I was doing, I still got about three times as many keepers as I did with my 7D (JPG straight out of camera with just a crop).

I am VERY happy with the AF - not really knowing what I was doing, I still got about three times as many keepers as I did with my 7D (JPG straight out of camera with just a crop).

Looking good sue
Regards
Richard

Ooh! Is that you, Richard? :wavey: I will try to bring it over to your hide next week when I have got a bit more used to it. :)

I've been sat, 'working from home', all day and there still haven't been any birds to the feeders in the garden. I might have to venture out this evening and take some low light/long exposures to get used to the manual settings. The idea of a photo taking bar crawl for a Friday evening sounds like a grand idea.

Just heard mine's coming about 1pm, so will have a look this
P459 of the manual shows how to add My Menu tabs. You can have 6 items per tab, same as 1dx but you can now have multiple tabs instead of just 1.

Thanks, Scott, yes just figured that out!!

Just heard mine's coming about 1pm, so will have a look this

Thanks, Scott, yes just figured that out!!

Glad you found it, just about to process some shots at silly ISO

ok here are some shots I took today.

6400, 3200, 1600

All shot in RAW processed in DPP 4.1

I reduced the NR sliders to 0 and turned off unsharp mask and converted.

No other processing done

6400.jpg

3200iso.jpg

1600iso.jpg

ok here are some shots I took today.

6400, 3200, 1600

All shot in RAW processed in DPP 4.1

I reduced the NR sliders to 0 and turned off unsharp mask and converted.

[/IMG]

Thanks Martin, I think you've just saved my wife a lot of hassle deciding what to buy me for Christmas ......

Don't suppose you have a 1.4x to test the f8 focusing speed with the 100-400mm?

Actually I do somewhere. I will go dig it out while there is some light.

I can't say I notice much if any difference with or without the 1.4, but the light is atrocious here at the moment and AF was snappy

Bloomin' 'eck! I just took a RAW at 16000 ISO, ran it through the standard setting on DPP, and, as I always did on the 7D, the Weak Noise setting in Noiseware, and it looks better than 1600 on the 7D. I am genuinely speechless!

Is anyone who's got a 5D3 or a 1DX getting a7DMkII as a second body.

Is anyone who's got a 5D3 or a 1DX getting a7DMkII as a second body.

Yes, I have just got the 7D2 today as a backup, and when I really want long reach, gonna be interesting to see how it performs at F8 with my 400 DO and a 2xconverter, 1200mm!!!
The 400 DO and 2x mk3 work very well on the 1 Dx, albeit the af suffers (for info, it doesn't suffer much with the 2x and 300 2.8 mk2), so I'm keen to try to out.

George.

Ooh! Is that you, Richard? :wavey: I will try to bring it over to your hide next week when I have got a bit more used to it. :)

Who else could it be :LOL: next week and the week after there are going to be some major changes at the hide setting up for Redwings and fieldfare + the Jays
Regards
Richard

I'd like the reach and if its high ISO noise is somewhere close to the 5D3 then I will trade mine in for a 7D MkII. I guess most people are expecting it to be very good up to 3200 at least. It sounds promising. My mate just phoned and he's got his today. He's also got a 5D3 and a 1DX so I can feel a comparison coming on this week.

On a separate point, just had an email from Harrison cameras saying "10% off all Canon DSLRs this weekend, just put SAVE10CANON in at checkout...presumably this applies to the 7D mk2 as well?

It does!
Just had a reply from them saying yes but no spare stock, more expected in 10 days but buy online or in shop ar weekend and is 10% off....mine of course got delivered (from wex) thirty minutes before the message ; ( but I have it now to play so ;) :) ;)

Can anyone tell ,me if the 7dmk2 has the 3-10x digital zoom function. Internet speed is too slow to download the manual.

You can zoom from approx 1.5 - 10 x

You can have x1 x2 x4 x8 x10 and actual size

Last edited:
Like the 1DX and 5D3 if you set it to x2 x4 x8 x10 it zooms from the image centre. If its set to actual size it zooms to 100% on the AF point that achieved focus although there are one or two exceptions to this.

I always set mine to go to actual size on the AF point.

I might have misunderstood what you asked there Michael.

Last edited:
It is George. Just north of Machynlleth in God s own country of Wales

Search Mach Loop or www.fox2.co.uk

Last edited:
Interesting to see all the comments about the 5d3 and 7d2 as a 2nd. I am currently contemplating the same thing to get more reach. If anyone has both their thoughts would be gratefully received.

For me getting one is really about a bit more reach for smaller birds etc. if the AF is as good as the 5D3 and ISO clean to a decent level then I will go for one. But my first choice otherwise will always be my 1DX as it really is the mutts nuts for BIF

For me getting one is really about a bit more reach for smaller birds etc. if the AF is as good as the 5D3 and ISO clean to a decent level then I will go for one. But my first choice otherwise will always be my 1DX as it really is the mutts nuts for BIF
Iv got one ordered but see it more as making my 1dx the backup owing to the 1.6 crop and 4fps silent mode this is for birds by the way .
Rob.

Interesting to see all the comments about the 5d3 and 7d2 as a 2nd. I am currently contemplating the same thing to get more reach. If anyone has both their thoughts would be gratefully received.

As noted previously I have both.

I wanted the extra reach, better AF and better ISO than my existing 7D.

The 5d3 lacks reach unless you can afford some serious glass, and the FPS is a little on the slow side to really capture the action, but the ISO is excellent.

Excellent AF and FPS and decent ISO for a crop sensor.

Given the examples I posted I am happy with the 7D2 so far but will be looking forward to being able to process in LR.

Iv got one ordered but see it more as making my 1dx the backup owing to the 1.6 crop and 4fps silent mode this is for birds by the way .
Rob.

I've not noticed any problems with the shutter sound on the 1DX startling birds, unlike the 1DMkIV which was bloody loud and would send small birds off to the bushes.

Wasn't such a loss moving from the MkIV to FF being fortunate enough to have a 500mm.

Like you Martin I want to process in LR and until they come out with an update I won't be in that much of a hurry to buy one. I've never used the Canon software and can't be bothered to start now.

Like the 1DX and 5D3 if you set it to x2 x4 x8 x10 it zooms from the image centre. If its set to actual size it zooms to 100% on the AF point that achieved focus although there are one or two exceptions to this.

I always set mine to go to actual size on the AF point.

I might have misunderstood what you asked there Michael.

On the 70d there is an option of a 3-10x digital zoom for use in the video mode increasing the focal length.

As noted previously I have both.

I wanted the extra reach, better AF and better ISO than my existing 7D.

The 5d3 lacks reach unless you can afford some serious glass, and the FPS is a little on the slow side to really capture the action, but the ISO is excellent.

Excellent AF and FPS and decent ISO for a crop sensor.

Given the examples I posted I am happy with the 7D2 so far but will be looking forward to being able to process in LR.

Thanks for that Martin, its the reach I've been looking for, I was originally thinking of upgrading to faster glass to get cleaner images and cropping but having seen your shots and reading the reviews on the new Siggy, Its left me scratching my head.

My 7DII arrived this evening as I was out trick or treating with the kids. Thankfully the wife was in and quickly wrapped it up for me as a day-late birthday present.

I haven't had a chance to play yet but the battery is fully charged and I now have a free evening ahead.

I'm hoping to receive mine soon.
I use raw & process with elements 10. Elements 10 doesn't support raw on the mark 2 . . . I've looked for an update to download but with no success.
Can any one suggest a solution . . bearing in mind I'm not very tech savy so please keep it simple if possible!!! Thanks.

Back