Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd start this as shipments are due to come out on Thursday, I believe, and it'll be interesting to see the opinions of the first users.

George.

I'm expecting to receive mine on Friday but my views can only be based on my one year of DSLR experience with a 70D. But I do shoot RAW and will offer as objective views as I can. If I do find something about it disappointing I expect that the things that excite and enable me personally about it will far outweigh such disappointments. I have watched and read just about everything there is out there about the 7D mk2 !!

Only 3 more sleeps until Friday! :)

Just heard mine is coming pre 10,00am delivery on Friday, the stock is currently in the hands of the distributers.

Very frustratingly, I was told this morning that mine would be with me tomorrow, or this afternoon if I collected it, then had a second email to say that Canon had just told them not to ship until Thursday. Then discovered the stock is being sent from head office, not the local one, so I can't even collect on Thursday either.

I'm eagerly anticipating an email from Jessops as they're being very quiet about stock and the last they told me is that they weren't expecting it until mid November. I'm on holiday next week so really want a despatch email this week! :D

*edit
Email just in from Jessops customer services - they're expecting stock wednesday/thursday so fingers crossed for Friday & the ability to work from home!

Last edited:
I had exactly the same, Sue, the reason I believe is that not all outlets well get them until Thurs, so they want everything to be released at the same time.
Mine is being shipped on Thurs.

Indeed, George, it makes perfect sense. That makes it no less frustrating, however! Now arriving Friday morning

Tuesday 3:00pm, I have just received a phone call from Park Cameras asking: "Can we deliver your 7D Mark II tomorrow, Wednesday, sir?"

My reply was: "Does a bear sh*t in the woods?" :D

Tuesday 3:00pm, I have just received a phone call from Park Cameras asking: "Can we deliver your 7D Mark II tomorrow, Wednesday, sir?"

My reply was: "Does a bear sh*t in the woods?" :D

Well, you are one lucky boy, just checked with my supplier and was told that there is a Canon directive that none have to be sold before Thurs,,,,,so you'll be doing the first reviews!!

George.

All I'm going to say about when mine is arriving is that I happen to be owed a favour but nonetheless as far as I know I'm not necessarily the only one receiving it tomorrow.

Well, you are one lucky boy, just checked with my supplier and was told that there is a Canon directive that none have to be sold before Thurs,,,,,so you'll be doing the first reviews!!

George.

....Oh dear! Any review which I do (as I said in my earlier post) will be limited by my DSLR experience and inability to make direct comparisons with other EOS cameras (except the 70D). Also, I doubt if Apple will have released a RAW Compatibility Update for the 7D2 yet. But I will offer my best and qualify my comments. I think that others with more experience will have got further to grips with it soon after Friday and anyway, others may now be receiving calls that they'll receive theirs tomorrow as well.

The longer the time we each have with using this new camera, the better quality and more informative our reviews are likely to be.

Last edited:
Actually, I think the comparison with the 70D will be very interesting, Canon say the sensor has been improved, we'll have to wait and see!!

Actually, I think the comparison with the 70D will be very interesting, Canon say the sensor has been improved, we'll have to wait and see!!

....If the weather allows, I can stick each camera on a tripod and shoot the same subject with same lens, same ISO, etc and hence see a direct comparison of some sort. A high ISO comparison would certainly be of interest to people.

What I heard is that the 7D2 sensor is a next generation of the 70D sensor but which, according to Canon, is more 'powerful' (if that's an appropriate word to describe the difference). I think that information was said in an interview by a Japanese senior guy at Canon at Photokina(?) - I'll see if I bookmarked it. It certainly isn't just a 70D sensor component applied to the 7D2 in the same way that a car manufacturer such as Volkswagen A.G. uses common Audi parts in a VW. In other words, from a common parts bin which results in economies of scale.

Last edited:
Quote from Masaya Maeda - Managing Director and Chief Executive, Image Communication Products Operations at Canon. Referring to the 70D's previous generation sensor, he said:

"Yes. In the EOS 7D Mark II for example the sensor we’ve used is improved compared to the previous generation, especially at high ISO and in shadows. There’s less noise."

Personally, I haven't found the 70D especially noisy until I start shooting above ISO 1000 but I know that the original 7D has a reputation for noise and I'm confident that Canon will have been aware of user feedback and done something about it.

Having never bought a camera on release day, how long roughly will it take canon to release an update to the raw software?

Canon's raw software - DPP - is already available to download. I imagine it will also be supplied on disc with the camera. I have no idea how long it will take other vendors to catch up.

Having had a quick peek at the Canon website, it looks as if DPP 3 is being released with this, I find that surprising as all the other recent releases (1Dx 6D, 5D3) are able to use DPP4 which is much better and more versatile.

Surely this will change?...perhaps some of you who get a body tomorrow will confirm?

George.

Edit, just checked, DPP 3.14.4 seems to be the bundled version according to Canon Europe.

Will try it on DPP 4 which I have with the 1 Dx.

Last edited:
Yes, Mike, I agree that's what is occurring at the moment, but Canon have said that they'll extend the range of cameras covered..and I'd have thought that a new body would merit the improved software.

AHah!!!...just checked on the Canon USA website and they have a download for DPP 4.1 released yesterday, which covers the 7D2 as well as the others I mentioned above....you have to enter a serial number, however, so I went to the 1 Dx download page, put in my serial number, and now have the latest DPP software for the 7D as well.

By the way, it says that it's not available for Mac OS yosemite, just go back one OS to Maverick and it works.

George

ps will post a link if anyone can't find it.

Please educate me on this question of DPP.... I never installed anything off the disc supplied with my 70D and just upload my 70D images straight from camera via USB into Apple Aperture 3.5.1. I have relied on Apple's 'RAW Compatibility Update' software which continuously adds camera models to its updates.

So does this mean I have never used DPP anyway? And furthermore that a user doesn't need to?

AHah!!!...just checked on the Canon USA website and they have a download for DPP 4.1 released yesterday, which covers the 7D2 as well as the others I mentioned above....you have to enter a serial number, however, so I went to the 1 Dx download page, put in my serial number, and now have the latest DPP software for the 7D as well.

By the way, it says that it's not available for Mac OS yosemite, just go back one OS to Maverick and it works.

George

ps will post a link if anyone can't find it.

....Yes please to the link :)

I am still on Mavericks (latest version) and won't move to Yosemite until it's at least 10.10.1 (not 10.10.01).

Robin, basically DPP is the free software which comes with all Canon DSLRs...and has been a bit limited, people either love it or hate it, and recently it was given a substantial upgrade but only initially for a few bodies, the latest FF ones.
There isn't unfortunately a facility to auto update the software, it's necessary to constantly check for updates on Canon's website, and I'll enclose the link to the US site here...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras

and click on the camera body you own, and then go to software (or anything else e.g. firmware upgrades) to download them....but you may have to enter the camera's serial number (as in the case of this update)

I'd suggest you also download the update for EOS utility, although that may be included in your pack with the body!!

Hope that helps,

George.

George.

Really? I was offered one to walk away with today at one of the London camera shops.

My supplier said that today an urgent email came from Canon to all suppliers saying that no 7Diis can be shipped until Thursday. Slightly irritating as until they received it they were going to post mine today. By the sound of that any supplier letting them out early is being a bit naughty (and yes, I did offer to keep the secret if they still sent mine out early, but no joy!).

Robin, basically DPP is the free software which comes with all Canon DSLRs...and has been a bit limited, people either love it or hate it, and recently it was given a substantial upgrade but only initially for a few bodies, the latest FF ones.
There isn't unfortunately a facility to auto update the software, it's necessary to constantly check for updates on Canon's website, and I'll enclose the link to the US site here...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras

and click on the camera body you own, and then go to software (or anything else e.g. firmware upgrades) to download them....but you may have to enter the camera's serial number (as in the case of this update)

I'd suggest you also download the update for EOS utility, although that may be included in your pack with the body!!

Hope that helps,

George.

....Thanks, George, but as I have never used either DPP nor the EOS utility with my 70D, how would I benefit from doing so with the 7D2 while Apple's RAW software, Aperture, and Photoshop CS6 work well and have been my workflow for the past year?

My supplier said that today an urgent email came from Canon to all suppliers saying that no 7Diis can be shipped until Thursday. Slightly irritating as until they received it they were going to post mine today. By the sound of that any supplier letting them out early is being a bit naughty (and yes, I did offer to keep the secret if they still sent mine out early, but no joy!).

....That means that either I will receive mine tomorrow or I will receive a phonecall to say Friday. As I know that the courier was booked today and which courier, it might have been too late to delay shipping - I hope so!

....Thanks, George, but as I have never used either DPP nor the EOS utility with my 70D, how would I benefit from doing so with the 7D2 while Apple's RAW software, Aperture, and Photoshop CS6 work well and have been my workflow for the past year?
If it works for you, use it!!

£1400. For an extra £238 you could get a 5dIII form Panamoz fwiw they don't have a 7dII price yet)

Last edited:
You could, but then if you need the reach of the 1.6x crop you'd be spending a lot more than £238 on the longer L glass. Plus 10 FPS for sport is awesome. As I have a 5D3 and 7D1, I feel that's something I can comment on. If the 7D had the 5D3's AF and IQ it would be perfect. It looks like the 7D2 has that AF system and hopefully is getting closer (even 50% closer would do the trick) on the IQ front....

I'll be reading the 1st reviews with anticipation. I can see me getting a 7D2 in the new year.

Couldn't agree more David, just put it there for those that might already have some of the lenses in their armoury :)

It has just been confirmed that my 7D2 is actually en route by courier and I will receive it today as promised. I am one of the very first and the remainder of their pre-orders are being delivered on Friday. Park Cameras have had about 100 pre-orders.

BUT it's raining very hard outside and I doubt if I will be able to post a meaningful 'review' any sooner than anyone else here on TP. Dave @tophatter is well placed to give a meaningful review because he is shooting a sports game on Saturday with his 7D2.

Last edited:
Robin now waits for someone like George @George to instruct me to do a heavy rain test!! :D

You forgot the no more sleeps :)

....LOL :D

I expect that while I'm watching any TV this evening my new 7D2 will be in my hand just to familiarise myself with the feel of it. If I was still married, my wife would doubtless be a bit worried about me :D

I better now delve into the 550-page PDF Manual! Then there's the 50-page Autofocus Manual as well.

Last edited:
Back