Canon 7D or 7D Mark II

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

Obviously I'm aware that the 7D Mark II is better, but is it £600 better? I am a very keen amateur and would like to sell some shots at some point.

I bought a 7D but have returned it in view of more research and hopefully a better price.

Other argument, new or used?

Thanks,

Tom

It's not quite a straightforward as that Tom, what are your subjects, what lenses do you own, what is your experience level?

The 7d2 is better, but not if you can't afford good lenses.

Simple terms, a 7d with high quality glass will beat a 7d2 with a poor lens just about every time.

Mike

It's not quite a straightforward as that Tom, what are your subjects, what lenses do you own, what is your experience level?

The 7d2 is better, but not if you can't afford good lenses.

Simple terms, a 7d with high quality glass will beat a 7d2 with a poor lens just about every time.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, sorry I wrote it on my phone I should have been more clear.

I've been shooting for about four years a mix of landscape, wildlife and airshow photography. Had a Canon 600D but definitely need a step up.

Here's the thing, with a 7D at £400 I'm considering the almost £500 Sigma 18-35mm or Canon 70-200mm (not decided which desire to fill first). With the 7D Mark II I wouldn't be able to afford either of those.

Thanks,

Tom

When the 7d was launched it was considered the poor mans 1D, to be a bit crude it was the dogs b********s for AF speed and frame rate unless you wanted to spend megabucks
Yes the Mk11 is undoubtedly an improvement but when I had a 7D I never got to the point where I thought this is not good enough, just because a new one comes out the old model does not suddenly become a load of rubbish.
As Tom says glass is the key, put the cash towards the lens ( your choice) the camera will soon go out of date the glass won't ( and the glass, particularly L glass , will hold its value the camera won't)
My 5D Mk2 still takes great photos even though it is a bit long in the tooth

Hi there,

Obviously I'm aware that the 7D Mark II is better, but is it £600 better? I am a very keen amateur and would like to sell some shots at some point.

I bought a 7D but have returned it in view of more research and hopefully a better price.

Other argument, new or used?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom I forget if you had a body already before the 7D? I went from the 50D to the 7Dii. I'd looked at the 7D but didn't see enough of a step up to make it worthwhile changing to the 7D from the 50D.
FWIW I paid £685 for my 7dii on here- so more like £400 than the 7D rather than £600. 7Ds are still bargains mind you -and are certainly better value than the 7dii.

Tom I forget if you had a body already before the 7D? I went from the 50D to the 7Dii. I'd looked at the 7D but didn't see enough of a step up to make it worthwhile changing to the 7D from the 50D.
FWIW I paid £685 for my 7dii on here- so more like £400 than the 7D rather than £600. 7Ds are still bargains mind you -and are certainly better value than the 7dii.

Had a 600D and it's a decent step up from that in my opinion.

Decided to go for a 7D and get better lenses for now. Just picked up the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for £389 brand new! :)

Back