Canon 7D upgrade... £500 - £600 budget

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my 7D.

LOVE the camera and have taken some great shots. I do a lot of dog photography and the servo focussing has (until recently!) worked superbly for me.

However, the high ISO performance is abysmal making it a pretty poor bet for anything in low light.

So, I am after something with

- improved image quality
- much better low-light performance
- Canon
- similar AF performance to 7D
- Maybe Full Frame

I am thinking of a used 6D.

I will likely keep my 7D as a back up body regardless, once it has been serviced and is focussing properly again... see my previous post.

Thank you

Not sure the 6D will tick all the boxes...

careful classified buying may get you an 80D or a 7D Mk II near the £ 600 barrier
1D Mk IV's are around the £ 600 region.
You're a little way off a 5D Mk III.

Not sure the 6D will tick all the boxes...

careful classified buying may get you an 80D or a 7D Mk II near the £ 600 barrier
1D Mk IV's are around the £ 600 region.
You're a little way off a 5D Mk III.

Thank you. I have used an 80D (borrowed from a friend) and was not impressed with the built quality. Also back focussed horrendously. Put me off... perhaps unfairly.

Would a 5D 3 tick my boxes?

If you prefer the build quality of the xD range, then I would suggest 7D2 or 5D3

I used 7D and 1D4 for motorsport, and found that the 1D4 was the primary choice for speed, accuracy and IQ. 7D died so was replaced with a 7D2 which was much closer to the 1D4 in performance. 1D4 was replaced with a 1DX2.

7D2 is more of what your used to but with evolution. 5D3 would be better in lower light, but you loose the crop advantage. 1D4 is still a fine camera but now quite old and not sure how long parts will be readily available for. 5D / 6D / 1D won't work with EF-S lenses.

Thank you. I have used an 80D (borrowed from a friend) and was not impressed with the built quality. Also back focussed horrendously. Put me off... perhaps unfairly.

Would a 5D 3 tick my boxes?

First I've heard about the 80D with a back focusing issue, I don't have that with mine and I've not heard about from other 80D users.
Are you sure it's not the lens causing it?

If you prefer the build quality of the xD range, then I would suggest 7D2 or 5D3

I used 7D and 1D4 for motorsport, and found that the 1D4 was the primary choice for speed, accuracy and IQ. 7D died so was replaced with a 7D2 which was much closer to the 1D4 in performance. 1D4 was replaced with a 1DX2.

7D2 is more of what your used to but with evolution. 5D3 would be better in lower light, but you loose the crop advantage. 1D4 is still a fine camera but now quite old and not sure how long parts will be readily available for. 5D / 6D / 1D won't work with EF-S lenses.

Thank you. Out of interest, what kind of shutter count is sensible for a used 1D4? Seen one with 127k but that frightens the hell out of me to be honest!

First I've heard about the 80D with a back focusing issue, I don't have that with mine and I've not heard about from other 80D users.
Are you sure it's not the lens causing it?

My have been but it belonged to my wife's work so I didn't waste much time looking into it. I was using it with the kit lens it came with where things were especially bad, but worked fine in Live View. I tried some running dog stuff with my Tamron SP 70-300 and results fid not match up with my 7D. Perhaps there was an issue with that particular body? Who knows...

Im sure its rated for 300k shots, its a fantastic camera and beats the 7D in every way.

Im sure its rated for 300k shots, its a fantastic camera and beats the 7D in every way.

And the sensor? It's a crop but will only take full frame lenses?

The 1D4 has a crop factor of x1.3 rather than x1.6. You can't use EF-S lenses on them and some other crop optimised cameras may cause vignetting if the mirror doesn't interfere with the rear element. Shutter should be good for 300,000+ shots and the rest of the camera is built like a tank.

Last year Canon removed the 1D4 the CPS priority service list as they may not be able to repair it within the 3-5 day turnaround time if they can't easily get parts to repair in time. It doesn't necessarily mean parts are no longer available.

The 1D4 has a crop factor of x1.3 rather than x1.6. You can't use EF-S lenses on them and some other crop optimised cameras may cause vignetting if the mirror doesn't interfere with the rear element. Shutter should be good for 300,000+ shots and the rest of the camera is built like a tank.

Last year Canon removed the 1D4 the CPS priority service list as they may not be able to repair it within the 3-5 day turnaround time if they can't easily get parts to repair in time. It doesn't necessarily mean parts are no longer available.

Thank you. It's potentially an option for me as it would tick a lot of boxes. My only anxiety would be weight... and looking like "that guy" with all the gear....!

The only fly I the ointment would be my nedd to switch out my excellent Canon 15- 85 and replace with another general purpose lens.

7d2 is a great camera, but not that much better in low light than the 7d...ive had both.... 80d would be my choice, it is better than the 7d2 in low light...

Back