Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's excellent for sport. I just set the shutter speed to 1/1000th and then I can roll the aperture up and down and let the Iso setting take care of the exposure.

Bob

Yes :)

It's time manufacturers brought more ISO control to the fore. Camera settings are still basically configured in the same way they were for film - ISO fixed, then adjust shutter speed and aperture, when there's often more useful exposure control available by changing ISO.

Only Pentax has three exposure priority modes - Av, Tv, and Sv for Sensitivity Value.

It's time manufacturers brought more ISO control to the fore. Camera settings are still basically configured in the same way they were for film - ISO fixed, then adjust shutter speed and aperture, when there's often more useful exposure control available by changing ISO.

Only Pentax has three exposure priority modes - Av, Tv, and Sv for Sensitivity Value.

Most cameras (Nikon and Canon) now allow better control over Auto ISO, even in manual which adds tremendous flexibility by setting things like minimum shutter speed to insure that the correct ISO is selected to give the right shutter speed even in AV mode etc..

The 5d3 allows it, pretty sure all the new crop cameras do and the 7d2 allows it as well,

Very useful

Most cameras (Nikon and Canon) now allow better control over Auto ISO, even in manual which adds tremendous flexibility by setting things like minimum shutter speed to insure that the correct ISO is selected to give the right shutter speed even in AV mode etc..

The 5d3 allows it, pretty sure all the new crop cameras do and the 7d2 allows it as well,

Very useful

5D3 in auto-ISO mode doesn't allow exposure compensation to be applied. It's actually a good example of how ISO is not given the same control options as shutter speed and aperture.

5D3 in auto-ISO mode doesn't allow exposure compensation to be applied. It's actually a good example of how ISO is not given the same control options as shutter speed and aperture.

I just tried it on mine Auto ISO, AV mode, min 1/125 set and it allows exposure compensation for me

Last edited:
I just tried it on mine Auto ISO, AV mode, min 1/125 set and it allows exposure compensation for me

Sorry, I meant in manual mode, when it cannot offer exposure compensation because the comp dial is assigned to aperture.

16000 iso seems very impressive. I like the fact you can set auto iso and a minimum shutter speed, that is really useful. Never come across that before.
Yes, quite a nifty feature on the 5Diii.

Sorry, I meant in manual mode, when it cannot offer exposure compensation because the comp dial is assigned to aperture.
This
So far IIRC only the 1dx has given proper auto ISO in manual mode. I really hope the 7dII has it too.

I'll probably get slagged off again. But it's embarrassing that Canon couldn't implement auto ISO properly, particularly considering the rest of the awesome features of its pro cameras.

Personally I instinctively choose the ISO before I start shooting, but it'd be great to make that step redundant.

Personally I instinctively choose the ISO before I start shooting, but it'd be great to make that step redundant.

....Me too. I decide according to how I see the general lighting conditions such as being overcast or bright sunlight etc.

When outdoors shooting wildlife (with a camera, not a gun!), it can get tedious when there is fast moving broken cloud above - The light conditions then change abruptly and unpredictably. So, if one can set the ISO to adjust itself automatically while knowing that it will offer a reliable image even at higher ISO values, i.e. with acceptable noise, then it allows more scope for the balance between aperture and shutter speed values.

Couple this with the option to be able to display the ISO value within the viewfinder (as the 7D2 does) and then a photographer has much more direct and fast control of the fundamental and essentials ingredients of ISO/Aperture/Shutter without taking his/her eye away (and potentially losing a shot).

Yet another reason why the new 7D2 promises to be so suitable for wildlife and sports action. [Says me, trying to justify my pre-order and upgrade from a 70D!]

Historically, ISO seems to have been relegated to the sidelines because of how SLR cameras work with roll film and development has been mainly a process of small step by small step evolution. Canon have always led Nikon in taking bigger and bolder steps - I used to have both Nikon F series and Canon EOS-1 non digital SLR cameras and Canon's autofocus system when it was first introduced was far more intuitive and less clunky. A bit like the difference betweem Mac and Windows - They both work well enough, but.

Last edited:
It seems that you will be able to set EC in manual mode on the 7D2 if you have auto iso selected....page 120 of the provisional user guide.

Bob

I'm surprised at the number of times he mentions they are pretty production models. Surely at this late stage the camera is finalised?
The firmware is probably evolving whilst the testers are reporting back. The 1Dx firmware was updated during shipping and again within a few weeks of release.

Bob

Not sure why you would want to if you are in manual as I would assume you would want to decide which setting gets changed ?

Or are you wanting the EC to happen with only ISO changing?

Not sure why you would want to if you are in manual as I would assume you would want to decide which setting gets changed ?

With most Canon cameras, using Auto ISO in Manual, you can choose your shutter and aperture setting and the camera chooses the 'correct' ISO to centre the needle. That's quite often going to be an incorrect exposure, and there's no way to stop it 'correcting' for you. So its useless. Steaming Stinking Useless.

On the Semi Auto settings it works OK, it's just in Manual. It's crap.

Manual should be 'set and forget', but using Auto ISO you will get more consistent results with the semi auto modes. TBH the easier option is to pick the ISO manually - which is what we end up doing. Then we go on forums and all the other camera users are saying how great Auto ISO is :cool:, and we have to admit that our cameras are rubbish because Auto ISO doesn't work properly. :(

Did I mention I didn't like it.:D

Last edited:

Useless to you Phil......not to me.

Bob
The thing is I'm not a habitual Manual shooter, but when I shoot Manual, it's because I want total simple control, not so that I can throw control away completely.

If anybody is interested, Andy Rouse has just posted a little review, reads quite good..!

....Certainly interested but I don't know Andy Rouse or where to read his review. Link, please :)

The thing is I'm not a habitual Manual shooter, but when I shoot Manual, it's because I want total simple control, not so that I can throw control away completely.
This is how I use it Phil and it'll probably highlight its usefulness to some if not for your preferred genre.

I shoot sport in poorly lit provincial stadia. Often there are simply four or six pylons with a cluster of halogens on them. The resulting illumination a pitch level is pools of overlapping light with darker areas where they don't quite meet and brighter areas where there is a good overlap.....maybe 3 EV difference when metering off the grass.
A player running along will pass through these inconsistent areas and certainly too quickly for me to change settings. I can set up with shutter speed 1/1000th, vary the aperture as required (wide aperture for a single player, stop down a little for DoF purposes if there's a set piece) and let the Iso run the exposure....still keeping any +/- EC that I've decided on.

Hope that makes sense.

Bob

Last edited:
This is how I use it Phil and it'll probably highlight its usefulness to some if not for your preferred genre.

I shoot sport in poorly lit provincial stadia. Often there are simply four or six pylons with a cluster of halogens on them. The resulting illumination a pitch level is pools of overlapping light with darker areas where they don't quite meet and brighter areas where there is a good overlap.....maybe 3 EV difference when metering off the grass.
A player running along will pass through these inconsistent areas and certainly too quickly for me to change settings. I can set up with shutter speed 1/1000th, vary the aperture as required (wide aperture for a single player, stop down a little for DoF purposes if there's a set piece) and let the Iso run the exposure....still keeping any +/- EV that I've decided on.

Hope that makes sense.

Bob
It makes perfect sense Bob. And if I never shot flash, I would nearly always be in AV, so Auto ISO would work a treat for me.
My issue:
If I'm mixing flash with ambient, I'll set the ambient to maybe 1 stop under (might be 2 or more) and then I'll use the flash as the primary source of illumination and it'll be great. With Auto ISO on all those older bodies, the camera wouldn't allow me to have the ambient 'underexposed' :(

Got to mess about with a 7D2 today, tricky big step up from my 550D to get to grips with different menu's and button positions etc. It's got some cool features, took a few shots at 16000 ISO - 2nd & 3rd below. Focus tracking was interesting but don't think I got it fully working. I think that only works in LiveView?... The last pic is a feature which will take multiple exposures and combine into one single image.

The silent shutter setting was unreal, not totally silent but VERY quiet.

067A9755 by c0rb, on Flickr
067A9767 by c0rb, on Flickr
067A9769 by c0rb, on Flickr
067A9773 by c0rb, on Flickr
067A9779 by c0rb, on Flickr
067A9794 by c0rb, on Flickr
067A9804 by c0rb, on Flickr

Last edited:
....Certainly interested but I don't know Andy Rouse or where to read his review. Link, please :)

I see Jason's posted the link.

Andy Rouse is a very famous wildlife photographer. He used to be a Canon user then, quite infamously. switched to Nikon around about the time of the 1D MKIII AF debacle. But a couple of years ago he switched back, probably because of the 1Dx and 200-400 combination.

Each time he's switched he's been accused of doing so because Nikon/Canon paid him to do so, or donated a load of expensive gear. Andy vehemently denies this and I, for one, believe him. His living depends on him having the best possible equipment and if one manufacturer is better than another then I can see it makes sense to swap.

Andy Rouse is a very famous wildlife photographer. He used to be a................

....Thanks for educating me, Frank - Much appreciated. I'm a newbie to DSLR and wildlife photography - Canon 70D being my first DSLR.

I see Jason's posted the link.

Andy Rouse is a very famous wildlife photographer. He used to be a Canon user then, quite infamously. switched to Nikon around about the time of the 1D MKIII AF debacle. But a couple of years ago he switched back, probably because of the 1Dx and 200-400 combination.

Each time he's switched he's been accused of doing so because Nikon/Canon paid him to do so, or donated a load of expensive gear. Andy vehemently denies this and I, for one, believe him. His living depends on him having the best possible equipment and if one manufacturer is better than another then I can see it makes sense to swap.

Andy did a talk at CVP and showed some of his images. His initial impression was that 1600 on the 7d2 is close to 3200 on his 1dx

He was very plain speaking about the camera and was obviously very positive about it.

He can really see the benefit of a crop when he doesn't want to lug about a 1dx and 200-400

Wow.
I'm still not sure it's the camera for me, but now I can't help wanting it anyway.:confused:
I've downloaded the 16000 ISO shot and it's as clean as ISO1600 on the mk1:D

Me to, am in the process of swapping out my lenses for a move in a couple of months to a 5D mkiii and keeping my 7D as a backup but I may be tempted depending on how much HDEW list it for.

Me to, am in the process of swapping out my lenses for a move in a couple of months to a 5D mkiii and keeping my 7D as a backup but I may be tempted depending on how much HDEW list it for.

....I think your decision should be primarily based on what kind of photography you do.

The 7D2 isn't 'better' than the 5D3 and neither is the 5D3 'better' than the 7D2. If you shoot wildlife or sports action, then the 7D2 will give you more reach and apparently has features more equivalent to the 1DX not the 5D3.

....I think your decision should be primarily based on what kind of photography you do.

The 7D2 isn't 'better' than the 5D3 and neither is the 5D3 'better' than the 7D2. If you shoot wildlife or sports action, then the 7D2 will give you more reach and apparently has features more equivalent to the 1DX not the 5D3.
I disagree.

This camera might be a great sports or wildlife camera, but that doesn't make it unsuitable for weddings, portraits, architecture etc.

It might not be 'the best tool for the job' but it's perfectly capable.

With infinite resources, I'd get a couple of 5d's, but that'd also mean some new lenses.

So my budget says 6d and new lenses. Or 7d2's and I don't need new lenses.

If the IQ is sufficiently better than the 7d then it's a great camera for my needs. (Even though it's not the obvious choice and I'm not the perceived target market).

I disagree.

This camera might be a great sports or wildlife camera, but that doesn't make it unsuitable for weddings, portraits, architecture etc.

....I don't understand why you disagree - I'm not saying that the 7D2 is exclusively suitable for wildlife and sports action only. I'm merely suggesting that IF someone shoots wildlife and sports action, then the 7D2 is clearly designed for and aimed at this target market (I'm an amateur who only shoots wildlife and not sports action, although I do sometimes go to motorsport events - So there's an idea).

Anyway, there's often quite a bit of 'sporty' action going on at weddings :D

Otherwise, this camera is no different than any other camera in that you can shoot anything you want to - It's simply a matter of which features better enable you and consequently up your game.

I disagree.

With infinite resources, I'd get a couple of 5d's, but that'd also mean some new lenses.

If the IQ is sufficiently better than the 7d then it's a great camera for my needs. (Even though it's not the obvious choice and I'm not the perceived target market).

Kelby has examples of wedding/portraits and landscapes which all look pretty decent tbh

It has silent shutter modes, it has decent IQ and you can tune the fps to whatever you want.

it sounds like a decent all rounder to me, with the ability to shoot sports and wildlife very well.

I disagree.

Are you in denial over full-frame Phil? ;) :D

it sounds like a decent all rounder to me, with the ability to shoot sports and wildlife very well.

....For me, and doubtless many others, the 7D2 promises to be able to shoot wildlife and sports and any action very well, with the ability to be a decent all-rounder - Which is the same thing really :)

Are you in denial over full-frame Phil? ;) :D
It's a cost - benefit position.

I'd really like to go 5d for the IQ. But that's a massive amount of money for the benefit.

Think 3 FF bodies and at least 3 replacement lenses. (There's 2 of us).

Would the quality of my work go up enough to justify that outlay?

The improvements I want are IQ (low light) and 2 card slots. The 7d2 appears to give me this without going ff.

However: it's a heavy beast too, and my arthritic old hands might prefer not to bother.

There's no such thing as the perfect camera. :(

The 7d2's sensor in a retro body would be my tool of choice. But I'm guessing that makes me a real niche.

....I don't understand why you disagree - I'm not saying that the 7D2 is exclusively suitable for wildlife and sports action only. ..

But you did say it depends what you want to use it for.

And as you say, it appears to be a great all rounder.

But you did say it depends what you want to use it for.

....I was directly responding to Whippet's quote. Sorry if my words were ambiguous - It happens very easily when only relying on the written word. :)

Absolutely, if my shooting was either sports / wildlife or landscape / studio it would be an easy choice. But I shoot everything and so whilst I have saved for the 5D mkiii I might be swayed pending the full reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back