Canon 7dm2 repair doable

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to replace both the battery cover and sd/cf cover on my 7dm2, I've managed to find a uk company that can supply the parts required,

I've taken a close look at the battery and SD/CF covers, and I'm sure it's a case of removing and replacing but it's going to be fiddly to actually do..

Am I'm wrong is is a doable repair to do at home, really don't want to send the camera off at the present time.

I thought/think the battery cover door is user removable because it has to taken off when fitting a battery grip.

Edit.....see approx 40 seconds in on this video for how the door comes off

View: https://youtu.be/aHrRXjZL57U

The memory card door........no Idea.

Last edited:
thanks box

I think I sorted out the battery door, took it off and put back on again, and it's working nicely again...

Just the SC/CF door, that's unfortunately snapped, I can secure it shut so camera will work, and did ponder whether to if supper glue might help for the time being, but ideal it needs replacing, and just ponder if I could do this myself, can't seem to find anything on youtube though

Purely FWIW

I looked for info about the memory card door.

It seems it comes as single unit with its hinged 'element'. From what limited info I found.......you need to peel back the rubber skin on the camera body to reveal 3 (or was 4?) screws to remove the hinge fully.

On the surmise that it is simply attached to the body and not in some manner partly inserted into the body that requires disassembly.....turn yes it should be user replaceable, again surmising that you can properly glue the rubber back on place aok???

Hi Ellie

Here in this blog https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii/

There is one picture (about half way down where he talks about weather sealing) that shows the door with grip removed. As far as I can determine the door is likely attached externally, though with some parts of the moulding aligning with positioning lugs before screwing into place.

IMO as it is broken and the repair costs may exceed its value.....then maybe little to lose by trying though as mentioned above without suitable self adhesive tapes the weather sealing will be comprised.

HTH perhaps ;)

thanks again Box, the blog is so useful

I've just peeled back some of the grip, and yep I can see the screws heads holding the door on, appears to be reasonable simple to pull back, unscrew and replace, so shouldn't be an expensive job to do, I know that to get the door is £45, so just labour on top. if I decide to welch on attempting it myself :).

I'd be wary of using superglue with the door in situ (too much possibility of too much glue and some getting in the hinge area...) but with the door removed (necessary to replace it), I'd give the superglue repair a go - about £44 cheaper than replacing it (and that's based on using a new tube of superglue for the job!)

The success or failure of 'superglue' is so dependent on the type of plastic the door is made of???

There is one method of repair that seems to be unaffected by the materials to be joined. That is the one based on the same technology as dentist fillings material i.e. sets with exposure to UV light.

I spotted that for sale online about 2 years ago.......but as suggested by @Nod it is best to attempt such "gluing" once removed!

PS
Found this unordered list https://www.google.com/search?q=uv+...roid-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Not too sure but the brand name Bondic rings bells, it was as I recall actually invented by a dentist! I can only surmise if buying one.......go by some good (verified?) reviews?

Last edited:
Back