canon 80d flash

Name
mike
Edit My Images
No
hi, I hope someone can give me a bit of advice, recently purchased a canon 80d and was thinking of trying out some cheapish flashguns(neweer/younguo etc.I am unsure as to which would be compatible with the 80d in maybe a 3-4 gun set-up for home portraiture. or if I can just have one ettl master and 2-3 manual slaves or would all ettl guns be better .I live in a smallish apartment so space is an issue. all advice welcome. Mike

As the 80d is brand new, I'm guessing no-ones tested yet, but I'd recommend you go the Yongnuo 600 EX RT route, buy 3, it'll be cheaper than the Canon equivalent by a long way.

would a canon 600rt be a good choice for the master, with 2 yongnuo 600rt,s, and a yongnuo st3 trigger i,m thinking i could always use the canon 600rt on camera for partiesetc , and with 3 guns i could use one for lighting backgrounds or hairlights. Mike

p:s i got a pretty good price on the 3 guns without the trigger, or i think i did:)

would a canon 600rt be a good choice for the master, with 2 yongnuo 600rt,s, and a yongnuo st3 trigger i,m thinking i could always use the canon 600rt on camera for partiesetc , and with 3 guns i could use one for lighting backgrounds or hairlights. Mike

p:s i got a pretty good price on the 3 guns without the trigger, or i think i did:)
It'd be a start, however, the Yongnuo ST E3 is a better buy.

yea i know what your saying is the intelligent way to go since its only about £50 quid but i couldn`t resist the canon 600rt for only £50 more than the two yongnuos, and would definately prefer the canon for on camera use. but I did take your advice with 2 yongnuo 600s and a st3 ,
its only one more gun:):rolleyes: .thanks again Mike

As the 80d is brand new, I'm guessing no-ones tested yet, but I'd recommend you go the Yongnuo 600 EX RT route, buy 3, it'll be cheaper than the Canon equivalent by a long way.

Any particular reason to choose the yongnuo 600 over the 685? I'm curious as was led to believe the radio system on the 685 was a lot more modern.

Any particular reason to choose the yongnuo 600 over the 685? I'm curious as was led to believe the radio system on the 685 was a lot more modern.
Just that the 600 one will mix and match with Canon devices (so has an upgrade path if it's needed). But there's not a lot in it and arguments could be made for both options.

Just that the 600 one will mix and match with Canon devices (so has an upgrade path if it's needed). But there's not a lot in it and arguments could be made for both options.

I've never used the 600's so was curious if their was any advantages but as I dont use oem flashes I won't worry. Thanks for the reply though.

me again:) ,just a bit of an update, I have already sent the canon 600ex-rt back, its far too big and heavy to use on camera for me, will look into something else for that purpose. the yn-st-e3 should arrive tomorrow so that will do the job of triggering the flashes.
i did try the yn600,s as slaves with the canon 600 on the camera and all worked fine, synced up easy and triggered fine. but i noticed something when i tried one of the yongnuo,s on the camera, no matter what i tried i could not get the af assist on the flashgun to fire, now the assist lights work because they come on when synced, changed every single setting and reset both camera and gun but to no avail. i know it wont affect my use of them but is this normal?. cheers mike

Back