Canon 80d or 7d mark II?

80d or 7d mark ii?

• Go for the Canon 80d, it's cheaper and will do what you need

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • You fool, this isn't even a contest, the Canon 7d mark ii is the obvious choice

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Either will make you happy and give you the results you want

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I came here before asking for lens advice a while back and got some really great feedback and information (I ended up going for the Canon ef-s 17-55 f/2.8) and I think the time has come to upgrade my body, camera body that is, so I am back for more help!

I currently have a 50d and I have started considering getting an upgrade. Having recently bought a new EF-S lens I am happy sticking with the smaller sized sensor, so I am not looking to go full-frame.

I would like to know people's thoughts on the new canon 80d and the 7d mark II as these are the 2 potential bodies I have been looking at. Obviously the 7d is more expensive but I will get roughly £200 trade in for my 50D and currently canon is offering £100 off the 7d in terms of a cashback offer, which in the grand scheme of things brings both camera bodies down to a fairly similar price.

Do you think it's worth/would you pay the extra £200 (after the claimed cashback) for the 7d?! It is a different level of camera, I know this and it might seem like the obvious choice, but the 80d also has a lot of nice features which the 7d doesn't, such as the tilting LCD, which granted I have never experienced and I have always used the proper viewfinder. But sometimes I can see that might come in handy, maybe if I fancied doing some filing or taking a photo from an awkward position. It also has some nice connectivity features as so on. Also I am by no means a great photographer, I am just someone who really enjoys taking photos, and this is the priority from the camera anyway, so would the extra money be worth spending seeing as it is already a huge sum of money?! I know that no-one will have had any experience of the 80d so it is a difficult decision, so this is purely based on the information we currently have from the odd hands on review and canon's information! So....any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

I wouldn't say the 7dmk2 is the obvious choice. What I've come to conclude, having asked the same question myself, is that no one can tell you which Camera is going to be better - well unless you give them a bit more of an idea as to what you'll be shooting.

I think it's safe to assume the following things -

The 7Dmk2 with it's superior 1DX level subject tracking would be better for BIF for example, also totally weather sealed so if you fancy shooting in inclement weather - that'd be a good choice.
Personally I love the touch and articulated screen on my 700D which is why I'll probably go for the 80D - I shoot macro (as I'm also in the same position wondering which of these Cameras to get)
But that's not just one reason to go for the 80D - I do a varied amount of photography - family, sports, bifs, wildlife, landscapes, astro etc. so for me the completely new sensor in the 80D with it's superior dynamic range (pulling out the shadow detail) is another one - I'm after IQ more than focusing acquisition I think - I think... I don't know though - when I get my Sigma 150-600 I might develop a real love for BIF shooting for example and be wondering what the 7Dmk2 is like!

It's a tough one, but one things for sure - better IQ on the 80D, a tad lighter too
The 7Dmk2 - it's faster, 10fps is amazing in my book - more focus points, it's more rugged build quality - dual sd slots, faster cpu with it being duel - but then again DP Review said that the 80D battery is spectacular - 3/4 full after 700 stills and lot of video clips.

To sum up I think the 80D is definitely the more versatile and better all rounder - but if I was a pro sports or wildlife shooter - or spent 90 percent of my photography capturing that then the 7Dmk2 is a no brainer.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it's a tough decision ey?

I have no particular style of photography, I mainly use it for family outings and events and natural portraits, travel, urbex, landscapes and occasional wildlife but I haven't invested in a decent lens for wildlife yet so it isn't a priority, it's just if the opportunity presents itself. I never photograph BIF, unless again something should happens whilst I am out and about but I never go out with the intention of shooting BIF.

The new sensor in the 80d does sound appealing, and it has picked up good reviews from what I have seen so far, then again the total weather seal of the 7d is also appealing, it was pretty wet and windy on my last trip!

I'll keep researching, so you think you'll go for the 80d?

I'm debating the same 2 cameras. Any more feedback on the 80D?

I went for the 80d and I received just in time for the weekend just gone. I have used it a couple of times and I am delighted with it. It is a great camera and I believe I made the right decision. It's a newer camera, newer technology and newer sensor etc. I was torn for ages and I spent more time than is healthy pondering over what to go for but I am happy with my choice, but don't let me sway you, I think whatever you choose you will be happy, there isn't too much in it, just the odd feature you might prefer.

Back