Canon 80d or Sony A7 ii

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I have been using my friends canon 40d for the last few months on and off I would like to get my own camera.

Been looking at canon 70d and 80d and also Sony A7 ii which would people recommend has anyone had experience with both cameras.

Looked on YouTube but still can't decide was hoping for some help from people on here.

Thanks
Shane

I have not used either but one is crop dslr and one is full frame mirrorless.

Personally I would go to a camera shop and ask to try a few mirrorless to see how you like them.

I think they are like marmite, you might hate them and then others go around saying how they will wipe out dslr`s soon.

And do some more research on aps-c VS full frame sensors, pro`s and cons etc

Ok thanks for the reply. I intended on taking mainly street and landscape photography. Would this type of photography favour a full frame?

For me the A7 would be favourable as it doesn't stand out for street photography and has the ff for landscapes. However don't forget to factor in lens costs. The Sony system is known to be on the expensive side. Also second hand fe lenses are more limited. It's worth trying both in a shop, having just switched from Canon to Sony the menus are more difficult to navigate.

It would depend mostly on what lenses you would need to use and their relative prices. For landscape I would go for an A7 if you can afford some of the Sony lenses (28/2 or 16-35/4). Canon do have cheaper lenses that would work fairly well (not as good as the aforementioned) and will be cheaper, such as the (10-18).

The 80D is a good choice as it is a good all round DSLR with pretty good video capibility as well.
The Sony A7ii is a much better camera, however it does have an expense ego system.

I own both canon & Sony cameras and the canon is much easier to use, though the Sony can deliver good results once you have learn it's particular menu system.

I suppose it depends how you use your cameras but I only dive into the menu to run the cleaning cycle, format the card or set the clock and I can't think of anything else I dive into the menu for. Everything I use often is set by a dial or a button or is in the custom menu accessed by a button. So, personally I'm just not affected by how complex or not the Sony menu system is.

I think with DSLR v Mirrorless big factors are the OVF v EVF and if the EVF and it's added abilities such as focus peaking, magnified view, real time DoF and exposure preview, in view live histogram etc are attractive or not. Maybe that's as big a decision as APS-C v FF?

Back