Canon 85 prime (non L)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
What do you guys think about this lens?
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-85mm-f1-8-usm-lens/p12816

After taking some images of my kids and our friends kids on the beach on Good Friday using my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 it occurred to me I could do with more reach and even MN ore background blur. I am trying to improve my portraits but don't have room in my house (until we've extended) to use 85mm, but it looks ideal for outside. I have the Canon 55-250mm but I'm assuming the 85mm prime is in a completely different league? Or do I save my money and use the 55-250mm, which at the moment rarely comes out the bag?

It will be used on my 60D until I can finally afford the 6D.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What Phil said.

Between us, we took 12 lenses to every wedding we photographed. The 85/1.8 was the only non-L lens we used.

What Phil said.

Between us, we took 12 lenses to every wedding we photographed. The 85/1.8 was the only non-L lens we used.
Actually I'll go further - I'm considering getting a 2nd one, it's the one lens both of us like to have at a wedding, and at the price, it's cheap enough to have 2.

Had one on my 7D, sold it to fund my 5D mk iii. Missed it so much I picked another one up from the NEC last month. Great lens, cheap enough to experiment with and easy enough to sell on if it doesn't work out.

Glad you're getting one @Raptor Mike - got this after a nifty 50 and although it doesnt get used an awful lot, i did use it a lot for music gigs before i got a 24-70mm, and even on my 350d, it was always so sharp - it's a great lens.

As others have said it's a great little lens that is good value, mine does not get that much use but I am glad I have it available in the kit bag. I am sure you will enjoy using it.

It's here!!! ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
I also got the Kenko RealPro UV filter that WEX had on offer with it. I just need to get a hood now, but will probably get a JJC one off A MN Amazon.

Last edited:
Had a quick play around with the kids and it looks awesome. It's nice to see 1.8 in the screen on top of my 60D, lowest up to now is 2.8 with my Tamron 17-50, which is another awesome lens IMHO. Thanks for all the comments folks :)

Back