Canon 85mm 1.4

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
Mine arrives tomorrow,Is anyone useing one and how are you finding it ,ta Roy.

I find it a stunning lens for the money or in fact even if it was twice the price. Enjoy !!

Really gutted,had it 5 days and had to take it back to Jessops the only place I could find one,The inside of the front lens has what appears to have oil on it,I thought it was on the outside at first ,with a brand new cloth I tried to remove it.
Jessops said I had the last one the company had so have ordered me a new one.
Has anyone else had this before?

really surprised there only so many post about this lens... It does looks very good compared to 85 1.2 cant wait for it to be in the shops to test it properly..

I’ve been using it for a few weeks now the smear on the lens is not showing but still waiting for the replacement.
The images are really good.

Had mine a couple of weeks now.
It's pretty much flawless with exception of needing -4 MFA.

Had mine a couple of weeks now.
It's pretty much flawless with exception of needing -4 MFA.
MFA. One thing I'll never miss about DSLR that's for sure lol

This lens did get my attention before I jumped ship to Sony as the 85 1.2 was pretty much useless for anything that moved lol

MFA. One thing I'll never miss about DSLR that's for sure lol

This lens did get my attention before I jumped ship to Sony as the 85 1.2 was pretty much useless for anything that moved lol

I know what you mean re the 1.2. I traded it for the 1.4 after years of hit and miss results.
The 1.4 is not as good at subject isolation but bests the 1.2 in all other aspects.
I feel the 1.4 is one of those lenses that will be used for near on everything.

You know how we see the 50/1.0 and the 200/1.8 are some exotic lenses, I think the 85/1.2 will be the same once production stops. The 1.4 is a better lens in many respects but 1.2 is 1.2.

You know how we see the 50/1.0 and the 200/1.8 are some exotic lenses, I think the 85/1.2 will be the same once production stops. The 1.4 is a better lens in many respects but 1.2 is 1.2.

I do have my eye on the 200 f2 even though I have no use for it.
As you perfectly describe them, the fast lenses are exotic.

Is the 1.4 AF a lot faster than the 1.2? I’m thinking about swapping but I don’t want to regret it

Is the 1.4 AF a lot faster than the 1.2? I’m thinking about swapping but I don’t want to regret it

I worried about that too but the 1.2 had so many things is disliked.

Fly by wire focusing is a nightmare.
Slower than treacle af (by comparison)
Intrusive chromatic aberration.
No weather sealing.
Front and rear elements exposed.
No stabilization.
Too short and fat to hand hold.

In fact the only things the 1.2 had going for it was f1.2 and a legend.

Back