Canon 85mm 1.8 question

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've just bought a Canon 85mm 1.8.

No problem with the image quality. But:

1. There is play between the focus ring and the lens body and you can feel it's too loose. This is not an L lens, but I didn't expect the built quality to be like this....Since my tamron has a better lens body.

2. Sometimes it focuses in front of the subject. I did some test shots with friends's 450D at F1.8, some of the shots focused in front of the focus point.

What about you guys experience with EF 85mm 1.8?

Kind regards,
Shawn

Hi Shawn
I recently had the same problem with a new Canon 85 F1.8 usm that i purchased from the Camera Centre Newport, i took it back and exchanged it. The replacement was better than the first one, but not as tight a fit as i thought it should be, my friend recently purchased a second hand one on eBay and the focusing ring has no slack in it what so ever, so if you bought it new take it back and exchange it, as for front and back focus mine is spot on, and is tack sharp on my 5D Mk2 .

1. No play on mine, sounds like yours might need adjusting.
  2. I thought I had a front focus issue but it turned out to be a technique problem. The DoF at 1m and f/1.8 is less than 9mm so any movement makes a huge difference. I did some tests with a tripod comparing LiveView AF to standard AF, might be worth doing the same as that will tell you if the lens is faulty or if it's something else.
Overall I've very happy with mine - it's so good for portraits.

no play on mine from what i recall but i am not with my kit at this time. No AF back/front issues either.

if its not a grey import and you need to send back to the shop. You could always get canon to give it a once over as that would be covered by warranty.

Thank you guys very much!

I was thinking go back to jessops for an exchange but I found that 85 1.8 is out of stock currently and the stores near me don't have any stock available.

What should I do?

Kind regards,
Shawn

if you are unhappy with loose focusing ring, and Jessops are out of stock of a replacement, you could ask for a refund and purchase one at another camera shop, but make sure you take it out of the box and examine it before purchasing it.

if you are unhappy with loose focusing ring, and Jessops are out of stock of a replacement, you could ask for a refund and purchase one at another camera shop, but make sure you take it out of the box and examine it before purchasing it.

Thank you for the advice.

I am considering doing this...hopefully they can get some in stock soon then i just need to ask for change a another one.

Kind regards,
Shawn

Gutted for you, this is my favourite lens for the satisfaction it gives me. I may not use it too much but when I do I'm always very happy with the results.

In my opinion I would like to say that As far as I am concern that there is a lots of problems regarding the Ninon 's new camera which is launch recently in the market. This camera has not been proven the best in the expectation of the customers. This camera has been failed in to win the trust of customers.

I think this has rather been lost in translation :thinking:

They will usually transfer stock over from other stores on an overnight courier. best to take it back and get another in for peace of mind.

Back