Canon 90d

It looks good but now that I've left Canon I can't help thinking this is the camera the 80D should have been.

Looks good, still wish Canon would get IBIS into their bodies. I mean, Sony were doing it a decade back in their dslr with 'steady shot'

I must say I'm disappointed if they have dropped the 7d range, as for me this is not a viable upgrade from the 7D Mk II.

What is it lacking? higher fps? it at least matches the 7DII. I guess they're going after the video market more so besides. I've seen some rumour sites suggest it might have some form of IBIS but no actual confirmation on that. ALso suggested retail price of £1399 ... that'll be a bad move, that's FFML territory right now. You can almost get an R for that on some sites

Looks good, still wish Canon would get IBIS into their bodies. I mean, Sony were doing it a decade back in their dslr with 'steady shot'
And Pentax were doing it a while back too, 2006 I think..

What is it lacking? higher fps? it at least matches the 7DII.

Would of expected more fps, only one card slot and only 45 focus points.

Time will tell if this a match for the 7D II but I don't think I will be swapping mine for this.

I’ve been waiting for this (well I really wanted a 7D Mk3 but that’s not going to happen now) for about 18 months to replace my 70D. Even if it isn’t what a 7D Mk3 should’ve been, it’s still a big improvement on what I have. The real deciding factor will be the price - if the rumour of £1,399 is accurate then I’m not entirely sure it’s enough camera for the money. Time will tell.

Well actually it was Minolta that had it in their a-mount bodies that Sony copied :D

Well actually it was Minolta that had it in their a-mount bodies that Sony copied :D

You're not wrong! ;) my first ever dslr was the Sony A200 and the lens stuck on there 99% of the time was an old Minolta 50mm 1.7, I thought it couldn't get any better ... sadly the steady shot failed in the camera after a few months [had bought used] so I got what I could for it and moved on to a Nikon D200, was Nikon for about a decade after

Very Disappointing that the 7d3 has been shelved i have been waiting it for ages I have enjoyed every moment with my 7d2 and the 90d dose not look like a big improvement to me ?

is it 7d 3 definitely shelved or just rumours ?

I guess we'll see dual digic 8 and eye af on the 1dx mk3.

I’ve been waiting for this (well I really wanted a 7D Mk3 but that’s not going to happen now) for about 18 months to replace my 70D. Even if it isn’t what a 7D Mk3 should’ve been, it’s still a big improvement on what I have. The real deciding factor will be the price - if the rumour of £1,399 is accurate then I’m not entirely sure it’s enough camera for the money. Time will tell.

I sold my 5D4 for that much.

I'm disappointed it doesn't have dual card slots, that might have tempted me into upgrading my 80D. As it stands, an unnecessary resolution bump and a slight FPS bump aren't worth the outlay. And £1,399 body only is insane, that price will come down quite rapidly I think.

I am also expecting a small but tangible bump in ISO performance too.

I am a 7Dii owner as of last year and it was a replacement for my aging 7D I purchased from new apx 4-6 months after launch. I am getting bored and older waiting for the 7Diii that has so many release dates pushes back and is do scraped concept. It seems the 90D is half way to being a replacement to 7Diii and yet it can fall short yet again.
It seems canon were 4 years behind the competition and have narrowed it to 2 years this month. However sony will release the successor to the A6500 soon and that will put canon back to being 4 years behind.

I am currently borrowing a friends A6500 using my sigma mc-11 adapter to mate my canon L glass to the sony.
As the A6500 has no AA filter or low pass filter, 4mp more, better Dynamic Range, better processor the images are sharper than my 7Dii using the same glass. The AF is quick for wildlife and sports, not snappy as 7Dii ( as the AF on 7Dii is bloody quick ) and more AF points than my 7Dii.
I am just not impressed with canon cameras any more. When peers using nikon D500 or even entry level dslr have sharper ( not major, just enough in close inspection to see a difference ) images than my 7Dii then some must be wrong in the canon camp !

I am so impressed with the A6500 I will buy the successor to it. I own a sony NEX5R so have some e mount glass already and I will just adapt my canon glass to the successor of A6500.

Hopefully get to try one out at some point - I'd like more reach for my return wildlife trip to Yellowstone next year. Hopefully image quality is better than my 7d mkii was - least favourite camera I've ever owned, though owning a 5d mkiii and 1dx by the time I purchased the 7d mkii probably put it at an unfair disadvantage

Wow. There goes the 7D mk3 then. What more could you want in a wildlife DSLR? Looks utterly fantastic.
As long as the weather sealing is decent, yes it does look pretty darn good. The missus has an 80D and that is already a very capable camera, although I do prefer (have got more used to) the controls on my 7DII.

Hmmm, will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my D500.

I still have a Sigma 150-600mm sport and a few other lenses in EF mount from my 7D days and I must admit I do prefer Canon over Nikon. I would really prefer a mirrorless version though.

Hopefully get to try one out at some point - I'd like more reach for my return wildlife trip to Yellowstone next year. Hopefully image quality is better than my 7d mkii was - least favourite camera I've ever owned, though owning a 5d mkiii and 1dx by the time I purchased the 7d mkii probably put it at an unfair disadvantage

Yellowstone! Yikes. Hope the volcano staye quiet! :LOL:

Hmmm, will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my D500.

I still have a Sigma 150-600mm sport and a few other lenses in EF mount from my 7D days and I must admit I do prefer Canon over Nikon. I would really prefer a mirrorless version though.

The 90d has much higher resolution but the d500 still has the edge in most other ways.
The biggest thing I see about the 90d is the AF joystick thingy usually found only in semi pro or pro cameras

The biggest thing I see about the 90d is the AF joystick thingy usually found only in semi pro or pro cameras
I must admit, I didn't think I would miss the joystick on my 80d (coming from a 50d that did have one), but I really do miss it. It was so much easier to select focus points.

I must admit, I didn't think I would miss the joystick on my 80d (coming from a 50d that did have one), but I really do miss it. It was so much easier to select focus points.

Yep, once you have had one you don't want to go back.

Yep miss mine big time from a 40d to 70d

Having once been a a 20 plus year user of Canon, this would annoy me no end. In fact if I hadn't already jumped ship to Fuji this would have been the final push.

I really do think that Nikon have more than just an edge on Canon in the DSLR front at the moment.

Having once been a a 20 plus year user of Canon, this would annoy me no end. In fact if I hadn't already jumped ship to Fuji this would have been the final push.

I really do think that Nikon have more than just an edge on Canon in the DSLR front at the moment.

What do you mean by “this would annoy...”? Do you mean the 90D in its entirety, some aspect(s) of the 90D, Canon’s approach or something entirely different? I’m already a Canon user just a whisker away from ordering a 90D, so I’m just trying to understand what would force you to go to another manufacturer if you hadn’t already done so. Thanks.

What do you mean by “this would annoy...”? Do you mean the 90D in its entirety, some aspect(s) of the 90D, Canon’s approach or something entirely different? I’m already a Canon user just a whisker away from ordering a 90D, so I’m just trying to understand what would force you to go to another manufacturer if you hadn’t already done so. Thanks.

Maybe a poor choice or words, but if I still had a 7D2 and was waiting for a mk3, and the 90D was seen as it's replacement, it would have been the final nail in the coffin. I found the 6D & 7D models both heavy & cumbersome with large lenses (I had a grip on the 7 as well). Looking at the analytics from Lightroom, I can see that my camera usage went up considerably when I purchased the X-T2, 100-400 and 1.4TC, proving to me that the weight of the Fuji set up allowed me to carry it all day, so it didn't stay locked up in the boot when we visited RSPB reserves etc.

But, if I wasn't bothered about the weight, I was looking at the Nikon 850 with the 200-500 plus TC as a replacement, albeit an expensive one.

I hope that makes sense.......

Back