Canon A-1 meter acting strange

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to find an A-1 in very good condition, and got it in the post today.

However, the light meter (more specifically, the viewfinder display) is acting very strange.

Normally, it's lit constantly, showing both shutter speed and aperture as long as the shutter is half pressed, just like modern dslr's. On my A-1 however, they are both flashing constantly, the only thing I can find that would trigger this is that the light is too low (technical term - below meter coupling range).

I've tried a fresh battery, same result.

Along with the flashing, the meter is waaaaaaaaaaaay out. And doesn't change regardless whether it's pointed at bright sky or complete darkness.

Currently, with a 50mm f/1.8 attached, and in Av mode, at f/1.8. ISO 200, it's reading 8" (8 seconds!) shutter speed. That's whether looking at the sky or with my hand placed over the lens. The ISO dial does seem to work, so it's not stuck at ISO 6, changing it throughout the range changes the shutter speed/aperture the meter calculates.

Same for Tv mode, 30" on the shutter speed gives f/3.5 for the correct exposure, again regardless of what I'm looking at.

I only have the 50mm to try at the moment, but the display still flashes whether there's a lens attached or not.

So, is the meter shagged? Or am I doing something wrong? :help:

Other than this, the camera is great, not cough, near mint condition. :thumbsdown:

From what I hear, it's a common problem with the A1. The camera seems to stick on ISO 6.
Presumably a dirty contact is to blame.

Any problem with using it in manual?

Also.....In AV mode have you switched the dial to f1.8 with the lens set a "A" ? If it doesn't show different shutter speeds at dark and light subjects, then it could be faulty or just need to be used because of corrosion on electrical contacts.

From what I hear, it's a common problem with the A1. The camera seems to stick on ISO 6.
Presumably a dirty contact is to blame.

Any problem with using it in manual?
Could be that, however I'm not sure, as the metering doesn't change at all looking at dark or light subjects, and changing the iso does change the shutter speed etc that the meter calculates.

Also.....In AV mode have you switched the dial to f1.8 with the lens set a "A" ? If it doesn't show different shutter speeds at dark and light subjects, then it could be faulty or just need to be used because of corrosion on electrical contacts.

Yep, aperture priority mode, top dial to f1.8, lens set to "A" on the aperture ring, at 200 iso it'll show 8 seconds for shutter speed. Change to 400 iso and it shows 4 seconds (as you'd expect), 800 iso 2 seconds etc.

I bought it from a small local shop (although bought it online) so I'll speak to them as it was advertised as fully working (meter being accurate and working). Shame really as apart from this it's in excellent nick! :( I had looked at a few cheaper ones on ebay but didn't want to take the risk and have no comeback if I ended up with a dog!

I've had a decent google too, but can't find anything thats specific to the problem mine has. Thanks for the help (y)

The Canon A1 is a great camera (I'm using mine now) what I don't like is the slow 1/60 sec flash syn speed......the other weak links are mirror damping squeal (check yours for unusual noise when firing the shutter) also the battery door can easily be broken if not careful.

Make sure the stop down lever is not pushed in.

David

Back