Canon advice

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Been lurking on the site for a while now and thought I would jump in with my first post.
I am in need of some advice. I would like to get a new camera and in particularly the Canon EOS 40D. It will be my first D-SLR.
Some people suggest that as it is my first D-SLR I should opt for the EOS 400D but I have owned EOS film SLRs and have used computers to work with images for a while now so it is not as if I am completely new to photography. Should I go for the 40D or the 400D.
Will lenses used with previous Canon SLRs work with the 40D? From the reading I have done it appears they will but will have a conversion factor of something like 1.6.

Where is the best place to get it from? I have heard mention of someone called Kerso who does decent prices.

Thanks,
Quarto

Actually I'm a bit of an advocate of buying the body you're not going to outgrow, so I'd say go ahead and get the 40D. The fact that it will be my next body purchase isn't colouring my opinion in the least. :D

Your lenses should still be fine. The 'conversion factor' is exactly 1.6X, but it's a bit of a confusing thing, brought about by the makers of early DSLRs feeling the need to tell us how the FOV compared to 35mm film.

The focal length of your lenses actually remains the same regardless of the sensor size. :)

And where's me manners? Welcome to the Mad House!:wave:

welcome :wave: to the :bang: house :nono:

I think that I have to agree with CT ('tho thats not unusual in itself). Go for the 40D.
I started low end with a 300D and after a year (ish) migrated to the 20D. What a difference. I used that faithfully for couple of years, infact I still have it. Skipped the 30D and now have a 40D. It is a splendid bit of kit. (Not a patch on the 1dmkIIIs, but then its about a 9th of the cost). I dont have any problems recomending it. Especially if you have anything other than small hands as the 400D is diminutive in comparison.

I would say if you can afford it then go for the 40D(y)
I got a 400D as my first D-Slr and cannot fault it, however if the 40D had been out I would have bought that instead.

And welcome as well :D

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go for the 40D. I have sent an email to Kerso and I am waiting paitiently for a reply. I am thinking about buying a 'nifty fifty' to go with it and maybe a speedlite (430 EX or 580 EX II? Unsure?).
Thanks,
Quarto

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go for the 40D. I have sent an email to Kerso and I am waiting paitiently for a reply. I am thinking about buying a 'nifty fifty' to go with it and maybe a speedlite (430 EX or 580 EX II? Unsure?).
Thanks,
Quarto

There's a thread somewhere about Kerso having Hotmail trouble, the gmail address is the one he's using at the moment I believe.

That lot would be a good combination, and I'd go for the 580EX II due to it being £200 when you factor in the cashback - so I believe?

Does anyone know if Kerso is away? If so for how long? I have sent an email (to both of his addresses just in case) and a pm but I have not heard anything.

Quarto

He was around last Friday, I would think he will get back to you pretty quickly :)

if you can afford it then get the body you are going to keep, if you are unsure if you are going justify spending that amount of money on a camera get a good second hand one, my first was a 10D a great camera to learn on and one I will not get rid of as it is still as good as some of the new models . ok not as many m/p and a bit slower but in the right hands ( not mine !! ) will take great pics.

Back