Canon and Nikon

Keltic Ice Man

Glossary King
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Im a bit confused - (No comments please)

I'm saving up for a DSLR and at the mo haven't decided whether this be a Nikon or Canon or something else. My confusion is how do I understand the numbers in the Canon range. Is there any significance to the 20, 30, 350? Is the 350 far better than the 20, is the bigger the number the newer the product?

I've had a look around the Canon site but cant fathom it. I've also looked around the Nikon site and wonder if there is any logic to their numbering.

Thanks

Allan

as far as i can see, there is supposed to be some corolation to the old slr canon numbers but i dont quite know how

i see it as

single digit cameras - 1D, 1 Ds etc as being the pro range
double digit cameras - 30D, 20D, 10D, D60, D30 as being the semi pro range
triple digit cameras - 300D, 350D as being the budget DLSR range

With Canon it boils down to the smaller the number, the more money they take off you for it. ;)

The trick is to work out where you stop benefiting and start just lining their pockets. As you move up the range you get more functions, speed or features thrown at the body but that doesn't mean they'll be any use to you.

I'm sure you'll get a load of a good advice here but what you also need to do is find dealers near(ish) to you for both canon and nikon and get a good look and feel of as many different bodies in your budget as you can.

I think nikon use a random number generator with their model numbers...

D50 - Baby (6.1mp)
D70 - Entry (6.1mp)
D70s - Entry (6.1mp)
D100 - Midrange (6.1mp)
D200 - Midrange (10.2mp)
D1X - Pro (4.1mp)
D2X - Pro (12.8mp)
D2H - Pro (6.1mp)
D2Hs - Pro (6.1mp)

As for the order they should be in... sorry can't help.

all the cams: -
http://www.europe-nikon.com/category.aspx?countryid=20&languageid=22&catId=91

When I was saving and shopping, I set a budget then hunted and hunted for a the best cam in that budget.

However I did do it wrong. I initially had £150, then £200 then I looked at the fuji "slr like" for £300 then thought... pff I'm almost all the way to DSLR. looked at the oly E300 @ £350 then for £50 extra decided to plump for the D50 (i can get staff discount on nikon lenses which was the final decider)

so maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice :)

All exept that the Nikon D1x was 6.1mp rather than 4.1 - that was the old D1.

BTW I have a minty D1x for sale (in the 'for sale, section funnily enough) if you want a cheap but good-quality DSLR...
Now upgraded to D2x bodies, but having probs with one of them...

Obvious I know but think ahead of time about what sort of lenses you'd be looking for, and remember to compare prices and specs on those too. Bear in mind if you go down the Canon route that their EF-S lenses will only be any good on cameras with a crop factor - a pro friend of mine reckons that it won't be that long before it'll be full-frame across the board, at which point EF-S lenses (and presumably other manufacturers equivalents) will be obsolete.

Witch said:
Bear in mind if you go down the Canon route that their EF-S lenses will only be any good on cameras with a crop factor - a pro friend of mine reckons that it won't be that long before it'll be full-frame across the board, at which point EF-S lenses (and presumably other manufacturers equivalents) will be obsolete.

I dont think EF-S is going to disappear anytime aoon due to the fact that they have just release their new EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM, I think the fat that they are still releasing lenses in this format shows that they are committed to maintaining that standard in the future, full frame may become more widespread but I think they will be more prominent at the Amateur/Professional level and higher, while cropped sensors will be available for some time in the 350D, 20D/30D category - if only because they are undoubtedly cheaper to make and therefore ideal for the lower budget end of the scale.

And from an alternative perspective, there are only five EF-S lenses available that Im aware of:

EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro
EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM (Due in June 2006)
EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (Kit lens)

Which isnt really that significant compared to the huge range of EF lenses out there, and in my experience the only one I have seriously considered would be the 10-22.

Others will have different opinions, but this is just how I see it from my experience (limited as it is).

(y)

why does everyone think that camera manufacturers are aiming for FF. The 1.5/6 crop factor is amazing - more zoom (well...not technically...) and smaller lenses for the FOV. It does mean that you need wider lenses for portrait and landscape, but TBH, the ultrawides nowadays (tokina, Sigma, Nikon, Tamron, Canon, 10/12-22/24) are very good, with the Canon and Tokina ones being almost perfect, and any distortion they get can be easily corrected.

If anything, Full frame cameras are the niche market, with only 2 full frame cameras available on the market (Excluding MF etc). People just aren't prepared to accept that the lenses and cameras have changed. If anything, crop is going to out-do FF, with the 4/3rds system having a lot of money spent on it (2x crop) and Canon still making their main sports bodies in 1.3x (1D MkII/N). FF bodies are niche at best.

Buy crop factor lenses without hesitation - on Nikon, there isn't even a camera you can use that won't work with them (unless Nikon has a FF DSLR?)

Leo

There will always be a market for the cropped sensor even if it is at the budget end of the range. As costs come down full frame cameras may only cost £1k, EF-S cameras £200 and usually the budget end is always the biggest seller.

EF-S is definitely here to stay.

Back