Canon AT-1

Edit My Images
No
I found this really old film camera in my room that I inherited. It's an AT-1 and with it I have 3 lenses; 100-200mm, 50mm & 28mm.
Does anyone know anything about this camera and is it any good/worth using?

Also I went to a camera shop and showed the camera man my fd lenses and my 1000d eos camera. And he said there was no way I could fit the fd lenses on my eos camera. Yet ebay is telling me they have adaptors that would do the trick. Oh I'm so confused ]:

I seem to remember the Canon AT-1 is a manual-only camera and dates back to around the late 1970's or thereabouts. It's definitely worth a try but with a camera of this age, you may need to have the light seals replaced. There are two pdf instruction manuals on the link below if you require them. They may be fairly slow to load.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_at-1/canon_at-1.htm

And yes, you can buy convertors that will allow you to use your FD lenses on an Eos camera. Just remember that everything on the lens will have to be done manually i.e. focussing and setting aperture.

And yes, you can buy convertors that will allow you to use your FD lenses on an Eos camera. Just remember that everything on the lens will have to be done manually i.e. focussing and setting aperture.

I don't mind having to do it manually.. if it saves me a heaap of money on buying digi lenses... which is very expensive to a student.. specially with no job hahaha :] yay!

I seem to remember the Canon AT-1 is a manual-only camera and dates back to around the late 1970's or thereabouts. It's definitely worth a try but with a camera of this age, you may need to have the light seals replaced. There are two pdf instruction manuals on the link below if you require them. They may be fairly slow to load.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_at-1/canon_at-1.htm

How do I know if I need to do this or not? D:

Normally when the seals begin deteriorating, they become sticky and "gooey". You can buy kits to replace them yourself, but firstly try a roll of film through it and get it processed. If there's any light leakage, it will show on your negatives.

Put a roll of film through it. If you get streaks of light on the photos, you've got a problem. Have a look at the light seals - just strips of foam set in grooves in the hinged back. Prolly unlikely they're too bad TBH.

You can only use FD lenses on a modern EOS camera with an adapter which has an optical converter to allow the lens to focus at distance. It increases the focal length slightly and ruins image quality. This alone is enough to put you off using your old lenses. Not to mention that fact that focal lengths are all effectively increased by the crop factor 1.6x, eg 50mm lens has the effective field of view of an 80mm lens.

The other thing is that you will find manual focusing with a crop format digital camera, like the 1000D, is that the viewfinder is small and dark which makes it quite hard to do quickly.

You will be much better off getting new digital lenses with a 1000D, like the 18-55mm IS kit lens which, fortunately, is very good and cheap.

Sorry :(

Owwh okay ]:
Thank you muchies you're the first person to make sense to meee :D

Back