Canon AV-1 f1.4

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, please bear with me.......When I'm using my Canon AV-1 f1.4 do I need to focus everything with the Split-image/micro prism rangefinder?

Any help would be appreciated.

takemetoparis said:
Hi, please bear with me.......When I'm using my Canon AV-1 f1.4 do I need to focus everything with the Split-image/micro prism rangefinder?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mostly yes.

You could also use the distance scale on the focus ring of the lens, but it's far less convenient in most situations.

There's no autofocus if that's what you're getting at.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies :)
Musicman, I've been using the distance scale in some instances but yeah it is less convenient for quick shots. So, even if the image looks okay, it will still develop out of focus?!?
excalibur2, I'm having so much fun with this camera and lens :) In college we spent more time sat at a computer tweaking our digital images than actually taking pictures.
I'm just new to the forum but I'll get some images uploaded soon!

Regards

So, even if the image looks okay, it will still develop out of focus?!?

The only times I tend to actually use scale focus is when I've got a shot in mind, but don't want to draw attention to myself - Prefocus using a guess of distance on the scale and then raise the camera quickly to frame and shoot. It's a rare occasion.

Split prisms/fresnel screens are pretty accurate IME.

However, if you're using the f/1.4 wide open focused on an object fairly close, then you've got very shallow DoF (1cm DoF at 0.45m, the closest focusing distance).

You've got to make sure both yourself and the subject are very still indeed to ensure accurate focus in that kind of situation.

Thanks musicman :) I'll try to explain my next problem; When I line up my focus point with the split-prism, the micro-prism still distorts but the image looks in focus!

It's happening everytime arghh!

Thanks in advance for any help.

I wonder if this might help you:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/av1/htmls/index4.htm

Good Luck

Back