Canon battery problems

Name
Katrina
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone give me any advice or tips as to why my canon camera won't keep the charge of the battery? I bought a new battery thinking it was the original battery that was dying, however the new battery is the same? I charge them and they take a few hours to charge and the light goes green, however if I put the fully charged battery in, by the next day it's dead? Not very handy when I trying to use it!!

It's clearly drawing current from the batteries isnt it... Try taking the batteries out of the camera over night and see if they discharge.

Thanks, although I've tried that too, as when I've charged them both up fully, left one obviously out of the camera, as soon as the one in the camera has died, I out the other in and it's that same -dead?

Then it's not a camera problem. Which is good news. You have brought a dud battery or the charger is faulty. Send it back and get another one. If the batteries are not holding a charge when not in the camera then they are at fault.

I thought this might be the case, but was worried it was the camera! The first battery that came with the camera, has been working fine up to a few months ago, which is why I bought a new one, and its the same! Annoyed as I've not really had to charge the original battery that much since I got the camera, so I hope it's either the battery or the charger! Thank you!

Are these genuine Canon batteries or aftermarket ones? Did you buy the 'same' replacement battery?

The one i got with the camera is a genuine one, and like i said havent had any problems with it till recently. The other one i bought for a back-up, isnt a genuine one.

Sounds a bit of a co-incidence that a working OE battery that was fine has gone faulty, then an aftermarket battery does the same. Whilst I can't explain it, I don't think you can discount the camera having an issue just yet.

Do you know anyone else with an OE battery that you could try, or someone else's camera you could try your charged batteries in? If the pattern is repeatable it might give a better clue as to whether the batteries do both happen to have gone wrong, or if the camera is discharging them, or even reading them incorrectly.

To be fair the original battery does last a little longer than the new one i bought, but its strange that they are both going flat so quick! Thank you, i will have a look in to this and see if i can get somone else's camera or battery!

To be fair the original battery does last a little longer than the new one i bought, but its strange that they are both going flat so quick! Thank you, i will have a look in to this and see if i can get somone else's camera or battery!

Sensible head on for a second. If you do use someone else battery and ruin it, you will be forking out £60 for a new battery. Better to take it to a shop and ask to try one of their batteries :).

you havn't by any chance installed magic lantern any time recently ?

there is a know bug that will discharge batteries over night for some reason
just a thought...

if not what has already been posted sounds right

It could also be 3rd party battery grips if you use one. There was a thread on here I think, stating that some have a fault that drains the battery very quickly. It could be draining it more than you realise before removing it.

So ive been testing different things out over the past few weeks, and it appears that taking my battery out of the camera when not using it works fine - i can go to use the camera and the battery is as i left it. (y)

Presuming that there is an issue with the camera if this is the case? :help:

Back