Canon BG-E20 Battery Grip and non Canon batteries

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I have an oddity.

Over the years I have accumulated an EOS 7D MK I, MK II plus an EOS 5 MK III and MK IV, all have Canon grip extenders.

All of the batteries, in pairs or singles work in all of the cameras (directly in the body) and in the grip extender shuttles. However, the 5D MK IV is not playing ball.

If I use any battery directly the bodies, perfect. If I put any battery in the shuttle in the grip extender, in either position, perfect.

But in the Mark IV, all of the batteries work directly in the body, all work as singles in the shuttle (either slot), but as soon as I put both batteries in the shuttle, only slot one works and displays in the camera menu.

As soon as I put two legitimate Canon batteries in the slot (either LP-E6 or LP-E6N) both work perfectly and both display in the camera menu.

Am I missing a trick or does Canon aggressively protect their body/Extender and only recognise legitimate Canon parts?

Regards,

Neil

I have used Hahnel {sp?} batteries in both my 5d4 and mirrorless bodies without any issues. I don't have my 5D4 now so can't go and replicate what you have described.

I assume you are inserting the batteries under test into the grip when it is attached to the camera?

The manual for the grip states that "The results of the battery check may not be displayed properly if you attach the battery grip to the camera with the batteries already inside."

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Am I missing a trick or does Canon aggressively protect their body/Extender and only recognise legitimate Canon parts?
More likely with the aftermarket batteries (particularly of older vintage) the reverse engineering of the battery info is not as perfect as it could be and it's exposed by the newer body being slightly more "aggressive" in doing the interrogation.

I have an identical of (now quite old) Duracell pair here that work perfectly if they're in slots 1 & 2 but not in 2 & 1 if you see what I mean on the 90D. Flawless on the 60D either way.

More likely with the aftermarket batteries (particularly of older vintage) the reverse engineering of the battery info is not as perfect as it could be and it's exposed by the newer body being slightly more "aggressive" in doing the interrogation.

I have an identical of (now quite old) Duracell pair here that work perfectly if they're in slots 1 & 2 but not in 2 & 1 if you see what I mean on the 90D. Flawless on the 60D either way.
New batteries on order, it makes sense, glad it was/is not just me.

Just to close the thread, I picked up two Canon branded batteries (four in total).

100% any non Canon batteries sign on as singles.

When the Canon branded units are used, both batteries sign on.

It's fair to summaries that in the particular 5D plus grip extended combination, they look for Canon firmware.

Back