Canon Body about £1500 to play Advice/Opinions please?

Edit My Images
No
So my trusty 5D is well on it's way to becoming my back-up camera and I'm looking to spend £1500 (not a fortune I know) on probably either a second hand 5D mk ii or a 1d mk iii (I'm not VAT registered and not really into shiny new gear.)

Not too sure on the spec differences between these two so if anyone out there has any opinions, advice or alternative options for me then I'd love to hear them.

Matt

Standard question: what are you going to use it for?

Both are good cameras but with different strengths.

Well to be perfectly honest all sorts. I do PR stuff mainly, currently developing a wedding side to my business and the occasional Product Photography and Architecture job.

I'm a bit of a GP thinking about it.

5D MkII is full frame just like your 5D.

1D MkIII is a crop sensor (x1.3) so depending on which lenses you own, that could be an issue.

I have earlier versions of both (5D mk1 and 1D mk2) tbh there's not a lot to choose as far as IQ is concerned. The 5D images are smoother and well you know all the benfits of FF so I dont need to go on, but there's not a massive difference as far as I can see. I'd expect 5D2 and 1D3 to be a step up on what you have now. Weather sealing and AF on the 1D will impress you though as I understand the 5D mk1 & 2 share the same AF but the 1D is in a different league for action and low light stuf. Swings and roundabouts. I guess that sort of money would buy a new 5D2 but only a secondhand 1D?

Matt

MattHall said:
Well to be perfectly honest all sorts. I do PR stuff mainly, currently developing a wedding side to my business and the occasional Product Photography and Architecture job.

I'm a bit of a GP thinking about it.

That lot equals a 5DII. If you'd mentioned sports, wildlife or any other form of action then the 1DIII would have been better.

Cheers guys you've been a big help. I've been looking at the 5Dii for a while now but noticed the 1Diii was a similar price on ebay used and just wanted to know what the craic was really.

Have a look at www.hdewcameras.co.uk and you should have enough left to get a few drinks in with the change. It's gone up a few quid since I got mine but it's still well within budget.

I used my 5D2 along with a 1D and find the combination works well for me as it covered all my options.

Now a foray into this territory will set you back around £2300-2400 at forum sales corner prices, being £1200 for the 5D2 and up to £1200 again for the 1D3. You could sell your 5D for say £500, leaving you with a remaining outlay of £1800-1900. A bit more than your original budget but it covers your bases and you have two bodies with good low light and IQ capability. Remember that the 1D3 is weather-sealed too.

As an alternative, you could consider a 5D2 and 7D combination. The 7D admittedly is a 1.6x body but it's a pretty good camera, shoots all the way up to 8fps and has an advanced metering system. I still believe the 1D3 tracks better though and produces clean images. This setup would cost you £2000 being, £1200 again for the 5D2 and £800 for the 7D. You sell your 5D for £500 and the balance becomes £1500.

Job nearly done. You pays your money and takes your choice as they say :)

Good hunting my friend :wave:

Last edited:
MattHall said:
Thanks 6950rpm, you've pretty much blown the 1d out of the water for me there. Didn't realise it wasn't full frame!

I've not been lucky enough to own the standard of camera you're looking at but would it not be worth considering a 1DS body? That's full frame but still with the benefits of top of the range ie 1 series.

I've not been lucky enough to own the standard of camera you're looking at but would it not be worth considering a 1DS body? That's full frame but still with the benefits of top of the range ie 1 series.

But the 1Ds is a much older body and thus won't handle low light nor have newer processors. Yes I know, I know, greater photographers have used lesser equipment ;)

Just my 2c you understand :wave:

Houston1863 said:
But the 1Ds is a much older body and thus won't handle low light nor have newer processors. Yes I know, I know, greater photographers have used lesser equipment ;)

Just my 2c you understand :wave:

Fair enough, like I say I haven't owned that standard of camera but I would have thought that you get what you pay for and the 1DS mark 'whatever' would provide a full frame equivalent of the 1D mark 'whatever' for the same sort of price. But maybe I'm wrong.

I was just trying to point out that there is a full frame 1 series to consider.

Back