Canon body advice

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
I'm presently using a Canon 5D Mk1, I maybe fancy a second camera body/quicker model for some sports photography on down the road a bit.

With around £900 (ish) to spend, what can that get me used Canon body wise? Are the likes of the top models (1D etc) good etc? Are the top Canon bodies cropped frame or full frame sensor's?

Where's best to buy from?

Any advice/experience greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Best bet would probably be a 2nd hand 7D, these seem to be going for £900-950 so down the road a bit should be safely into your budget, not many 2nd hand as they are fairly new though. Its a 1.6x crop, 18MP sensor, 8fps and pretty decent AF, oh and its got all movie recording stuff as well.

That aside you would be looking at a 1D mk2n for about £600. Its 1.3x crop, 8.2MP, 8.5fps and more AF points (not 100% sure if its better than the 7D, but its very good) and the big 1 series body, perhaps a bit long in the tooth compared to the 7D, notably at higher iso but if you want a camera to say "stand back, i'm the pro" its hard to beat a 1 series :D

As to where to buy, the classifieds here are good, if you want a bit more security then there is a list somewhere of a dozen or so bricks and mortar stores who sell 2nd hand gear. You'll pay a bit more but they usually have a token warranty which in itself probably isn't worth much but you'll have your consumer rights as well.

Unless you want the amazing AF and big body of the 1D series I'd suggest a 7D or 50D at that price range. I keep my 20D for sports stuff these days due to the extra reach of the 1.6x crop.

Back