Canon CPS

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this year I received a mail from Canon advising me of some changes they had made to membership, which I ignored (of course) anyway the upshot is having added all my kit to my "kitbag" (or registering it) I found my membership has gone from silver to gold. Some of the kit I have added didnt qualify before, things like my really old 1D mk2, so I would advise anyone who is a CPS member to make sure all of their kit is added as the old stuff whilst only woth a few "points" might just push them into a new group.

What is cps ?

Most of mine is greyed out now - seems all those expensive lenses don't count because I don't have two qualifying bodies now.

Most of mine is greyed out now - seems all those expensive lenses don't count because I don't have two qualifying bodies now.
I know what you mean, it seems you don't get looked after if you stay loyal to a brand over a long period of time. Despite buying a new Canon A1 in 1980 and a new Canon EOS-3 in 2001 (both the equivalent of the 5D iv in their day) and still owning and using these cameras (along with a 6D bought new in 2014) this counts for nothing towards CPS membership. I think some reward for brand loyalty ought to be taken into account.

Its looks like Canons way of making you buy new cameras to stay in the " Club "

Get a cheap 50D that seems to qualify. Or you can "pretend" you have one as it seems they dont check serial number is correct, so you can see what body you need before buying.

I know what you mean, it seems you don't get looked after if you stay loyal to a brand over a long period of time. Despite buying a new Canon A1 in 1980 and a new Canon EOS-3 in 2001 (both the equivalent of the 5D iv in their day) and still owning and using these cameras (along with a 6D bought new in 2014) this counts for nothing towards CPS membership. I think some reward for brand loyalty ought to be taken into account.
That's really odd because some of my stuff is ancient and I thought the new scheme seemed to reward loyalty more than the old one.

That's really odd because some of my stuff is ancient and I thought the new scheme seemed to reward loyalty more than the old one.
Last time I looked (which I think was last year) I needed two qualifying bodies with the lenses I owned; My 6D met the criteria for one of these (be interesting to see if it still does?) but there was no mention of any historic 'high spec' 35mm film cameras on the list, regardless of whether or not I'd bought them new from a bona fide UK Canon dealer (which I did).

ISTR the rest of the criteria seemed to mainly revolve around ownership of 'L' series lenses, of which I have two, one of which was bought 2nd hand. So I didn't meet the threshold for CPS membership, despite owning and using 'high-spec' Canon cameras since 1980 (the A1 was the first thing I saved up for when I left school at 15 and started work), and currently own and use 6 Canon SLRs (1 x DSLR, 5 x 35mm film SLRs).

Don't get me wrong, I like their kit, after all I've been using Canon cameras for 38 years, but as F1.2 says above, it seems you have to keep buying new kit to qualify for preferential treatment? If so, someone switching to a high-spec Canon set-up tomorrow could qualify for CPS, but not someone who's been buying and using their cameras and lenses for almost 40 years?

Yes, a customer reward scheme is a good way to encourage sales and profits; camera manufacturers need to make money (and there should be no shame in them doing that) otherwise they'll go out of business, but I think it would be nice if a camera manufacturer could find a way to reward brand loyalty, not just someone that's spent a wedge of money with them on potentially just one occasion.

I'd be interested to know if any camera manufactures have a reward scheme for long-standing and continuing customers (brand loyalty)?

Last edited:
Last time I looked (which I think was last year) I needed two qualifying bodies with the lenses I owned; My 6D met the criteria for one of these (be interesting to see if it still does?) but there was no mention of any historic 'high spec' 35mm film cameras on the list, regardless of whether or not I'd bought them new from a bona fide UK Canon dealer (which I did).

ISTR the rest of the criteria seemed to mainly revolve around ownership of 'L' series lenses, of which I have two, one of which was bought 2nd hand. So I didn't meet the threshold for CPS membership, despite owning and using 'high-spec' Canon cameras since 1980 (the A1 was the first thing I saved up for when I left school at 15 and started work), and currently own and use 6 Canon SLRs (1 x DSLR, 5 x 35mm film SLRs).

Don't get me wrong, I like their kit, after all I've been using Canon cameras for 38 years, but as F1.2 says above, it seems you have to keep buying new kit to qualify for preferential treatment? If so, someone switching to a high-spec Canon set-up tomorrow could qualify for CPS, but not someone who's been buying and using their cameras and lenses for almost 40 years?

Yes, a customer reward scheme is a good way to encourage sales and profits; camera manufacturers need to make money (and there should be no shame in them doing that) otherwise they'll go out of business, but I think it would be nice if a camera manufacturer could find a way to reward brand loyalty, not just someone that's spent a wedge of money with them on potentially just one occasion.

I'd be interested to know if any camera manufactures have a reward scheme for long-standing and continuing customers (brand loyalty)?
Check it out again, film cameras probably don't count but a lot of my lenses are not L series. Speedlites count too.

Last edited:
Its looks like Canons way of making you buy new cameras to stay in the " Club "

Or just Canons way of supporting pro photographers?

It’s a better service than any other camera maker offers, but still people find something to have a whinge about.

Back