Canon DPP vs Abobe Raw

Edit My Images
No
I've always used Adobe RAW for converting images but recently been reading that Canon DPP is better at the conversion than Abobe.

The reason being that Adobe are only guessing (a very educated guess I hasten to add) at what other manufactures are doing.

Whereas Canon DPP is specifically tailored for their own images and files and seeminly better for noise reduction, sharpening etc.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, Whats better ?

I always use DPP, cos Canon should know what is in the RAW file better than anyone else.

The user interface is interesting (as in interesting times) but the results are good (when I actually bother to process - get it right in the camera is my motto!)

Ben

Being a Lightroom fan, I have to opt for ACR as that's the processing engine in Lightroom.

The results from DPP do have a bit more punch etc, but I think that's down to DPP using the picture style information from the camera. You can however get similar results with ACR, by adjusting the various parameters. You could even save these as a preset.

Personally I think the amount of control you have in ACR is streets ahead of DPP, which to give it credit is a free application that comes with Canon cameras.

DPP is I think easier to use initially, but once you've mastered ACR it's difficult to go back.

ACR also gives you more creativity with the ability to change curves and other parameters easily.

DPP does, IMO, give better quality results. It picks out finer details that LR/ACR tends to leave looking a bit fluffy - the sharpening that Adobe uses (having migrated from RawShooter) can really make a mess sometimes but I believe this only happens with certain types of sensor. Adobe also has some real problems with certain colours, especially blues, that it just gets wrong.

LR is great for all manner of reasons but when it comes to quality of output DPP is King.

I use DPP for basic WB adjustment and converting into TIFFs or JPEGs then I will use ACR if need be. DPP does not tag those sidecart files to the image file either which I like.

Back