Canon DPP4

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have a SIMPLE workflow for using this software that they coudl share?? I used PS Elements 13 but new camera is not supported and do not like teh trial version of Elements 15 so thought I woudl give this a go.
Anyone have 'An idiots guide...' ??

Thanks in advance

Have you tried downloading an updated ACR for your Elements 13? Adobe generally support a couple of older versions of their software.

I simply use it to convert all my RAW files to TIFFs then edit them.

Simply create a folder then batch process all your files to there.

Make sure you have enough space before you start as TIFF files are quite large - I usually use an external USB3 SDD drive.

I select all images.

'Quick check'

The ones I like I mark with a 1 star (just press 1 on the keyboard).

Then Filter>on>1star only

Then select all

Edit image window, and go down them all.

Then at the end>Batch process.

Have you tried downloading an updated ACR for your Elements 13? Adobe generally support a couple of older versions of their software.
Thanks John but Elements 13 does not 'support' the latest ACR - I tried and have read the same

I simply use it to convert all my RAW files to TIFFs then edit them.

Simply create a folder then batch process all your files to there.

Make sure you have enough space before you start as TIFF files are quite large - I usually use an external USB3 SDD drive.

I select all images.

'Quick check'

The ones I like I mark with a 1 star (just press 1 on the keyboard).

Then Filter>on>1star only

Then select all

Edit image window, and go down them all.

Then at the end>Batch process.

Thank you - simple but effective!! Much appreciated

I use DPP4 as my raw converter but it needs to be used in conjunction with an elements / photoshop type program for best IQ as it is more limited in functionality than say lightroom.

My workflow is pretty basic, in that I'll crop loosely first of all. I usually use 'fine detail' on the picture styles drop down box but sometimes this will affect the WB so I may switch back to neutral. I'll use the eyedropper and sometimes make small WB adjustments with the cross sliders if I'm struggling with the auto WB.

I then go to the tab which is on the lower row, second from the left and on the sharpness area I usually select '3' and use 'sharpness' as opposed to unsharp mask. I use gentle noise reduction at this point (I bought the DPP4 guide by Arthur Morris and Arash Hazeghi which gives excellent NR recommendations).

I then go back to the left hand tab on the lower row and adjust exposure, highlights and shadows as necessary to ensure the file I send to PS has as much useable data as possible. The file at this stage is often quite flat.

Occasionally I'll make specific colour adjustments in the HSL tab which is bottom row, 4th from the left. This is pretty rare though with a decent file.

Then it's off to photoshop for black and white points, any targeted adjustments such as curves or vibrance.

I then save that as a master file.

I then resize that file for intended output, so 1024px at 72 ppi for here, do any sharpening or background noise reduction as necessary and export for web.

Sounds a bit complicated but it's really not once you've done it a few times.

Arthur and Arash's guide is a little pricey for what it is, but given the amount we spend on gear and travel I'd say it's been well worth it for me

Mike.

John an idiots guide,that's me then:D John have a look at this page aswell if you can http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content...2_17&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

I'll differ mate in that this is all I have,PS will come,but every image you see of mine is only processed in DPP,my work flow I guess will change in time with this addition.But very basically here's what I do.

1 make sure you are in adobe RGB to process at the end via the adjust tab I convert to sRGB, before converting to jpeg....each image mate tis clunky,but again tis all I have and no second stage

2 WB eye dropper for some images,but more and more I lean to colour temp and set WB in kelvin. eye dropper can be real hit and miss for me colour temp seems more reliable for me frankly more logical tis in the pull down WB tab

3 picture style,I shoot in standard,but invariably move to fine detail...remember I can't selectively sharpen so i'm trying to max what DPP can do for me on it's own...very different to where I'll go later on. fine detail appears to utilize an unsharp mask of 4.1..1

4 Gamma tweek white and black points and move mid point...most times highlight side remains unmoved,I try to ETTR to should have little leeway on the highlight side

5 colour pallette I don't always use this,but am finding I use it more and more as I learn

6 NR,subtle this I tend to notch both sliders slightly, from default set by iso......but am influenced by some great togs have recently become aware that luminance might not be used so much as I progress into PS due to the effect it MIGHT have on details within the image

7 stamp tool to remove dust bunnies if neeed

8 I never boost contrast with the contrast slider might reduce,but never other way,following this shadows hilights colour sat and tone............colour sat incredibly rarely used VERY POWERFUL colour tone never more than plus or minus one. John essentailly I use this in situations where say the greens in a hare image are almost overwhelming the colour of te hare ,all light will be tainted green so I notch overal tone to the red side

9 crop if needed
10 sharpen,Mate I don't have the next step so i'm trying to produce an image that will be looked on and presented on web as sharp refer to Mike above here,but me a push this to 9....so far so good not one person has mentioned halos (maybe they are being nice maybe don't care,what ever,but so far I can't see sharpening halos and no one else has put me right:))

11 convert to sRGB
12 convert and size to jpeg.... in the file tab top left I believe

13 be aware of batch process and also under the edit tab top left copy and paste reciepe. i'f I've taken 20shots under similar conditions and same shot settings i'll use this to edit one and then bring all that "set" to the same level of editing.Mate in some cases I want to pick through those twenty with a fine tooth comb I want to represent them to their best as I'm frankly struggling to know which is the best or are the best one/ones to keep so this dodge gets them all at their best and saves me time

John caviat!!! I am me learning da ropes,the guy above is an astounding tog, Mike's methods really might be the ones for you here,hell he helps me move forwards.....bless him!! Some of my steps might be wrong or counter productive i'll be educatated which is cool. i'm not hiding nowt.

My pov is very simple,canon make DPP canon make all those jiggery pockery ones and noughts algorythm thingies that make our images. Adobe try to copy all this but that's all they are just copying ??? So simply canons DPP will always be my to go to RAW converter. In time I might be able to add in another step where selective sharpening NR and god knows what else might be really useful.BUT this programme made by the guys that made my camera and lens will always be that first step.Frankly it's always amazed me everybody doesn't use DPP that uses canon gear,but I am learning so maybe haven't worked out the why's just yet. The steps above are a base set of what I do to show an image and I really feel I have way more to learn just about DPP let alone anything else. But the feedback I get from honest folks tells me i'm moving towards my goals,not there yet,so maybe they are of use to you or even the next guy following me . Being a skint old git gave me no choice but to use DPP,but lay that aside the 4th version is a superb tool IMHO,maybe because it's free it sort of gets overlooked instead of light room etc

How ever you are being forced to use this ,do dig at it John it's a cool little editing tool non destructive probably a bit clunky to guys with PS etc,but it just works. when I see what guys like Arash and Artie produce from this base start to their work flow it make my heart sing. It's free it gives an incredible platform to lift off from,gotta be worth digging at;)

As I say mate you are way more knowledgeable on all things togging than moi so I don't know if anything here is of use,as you'll want to utilize the next stages in post that you already know, gotta be worth a punt though even if this helps a much newer guy not your good self

good tools are what they are John...they do a job and do it well

belucky mate

stu

Thanks Stu. I bought a new camera which was not supported by Elements 13 and I got really p***ed with Adobewith thier money grabbing attitude and coudl not work out DPP$. Even got Art Morris/ Arash guide but got really frustrated as it wa snot intuitive - I hate PP at the best of time and do as little as possible.
Not helped by selling house and not having time to photograph anything never mind process photos.Nowjust got to buy a house!
Hope all is well with you
Cheers
John

Last edited:
Thanks Stu. I bought a new camera which was not supported by Elements 13 and I got really p***ed with Adobewith thier money grabbing attitude and coudl not work out DPP$. Even got Art Morris/ Arash guide but got really frustrated as it wa snot intuitive - I hate PP at the best of time and do as little as possible.
Not helped by selling house and not having time to photograph anything never mind process photos.Nowjust got to buy a house!
Hope all is well with you
Cheers
John

hey buddy new house yet??? All the luck with the move and sorry for being slower than a slow thing coming back. ,john what did you get,weren't you musing 1dxii or 5Div,am I correct any way grats there.

Post processing is a bit of an alien life force to me too bro, what can I say, give me a hare to roll around with in a field and I get it,post processing not so much:rolleyes:.But slowly due to the help I feel i'm winning,although I still make holwers:D . PS is going to mess me up though, if I ever get a new computer. I do want to go that route but it is going to be real hard for me. Anyway I hope the above helps,once you are sorted with a house which will be great for you. I feel it's a great little programme
Yup good buddy thanks muchly,hope the same for you, (y)

seeya

stu

Cheers Stu.
House sold subject to contract,now trying to find somewhere. Bought a 5D mkiv, could not justify teh ££for the 1DX mkii. The new camera was my reason for having to work out DPP4. Since I got the camera have not had much time to go out. I reckon if I spent half teh amount of time trying to improve my skills rather than deliberate on new cameras I coudl get MUCH better photos!!
All the best!

Cheers Stu.
House sold subject to contract,now trying to find somewhere. Bought a 5D mkiv, could not justify teh ££for the 1DX mkii. The new camera was my reason for having to work out DPP4. Since I got the camera have not had much time to go out. I reckon if I spent half teh amount of time trying to improve my skills rather than deliberate on new cameras I coudl get MUCH better photos!!
All the best!
grats on both counts John. I want both cameras actually but will have to settle for a cuppa char for the mo life is cruel.LMAO...anyway as much grafting to learn the tools and skillsets are important the right tool for you also is the base block to work up from. (y) I've been dreaming mate no harm in making excuses for both of us ;) The iv seems a hell of a tool mate can't wait till your settled and nailing something for us to look at.

all the luck with the move mate,hope the pastures new provide some killer chances. i've ironically been reading about the 5Div of late,the detail it resolves is amazing you are gonna have some fun mate that's for sure Dpp is a cool raw converter,you might find with time you'll like it as much as I do

seeya
stu

I use DPP4 as my raw converter but it needs to be used in conjunction with an elements / photoshop type program for best IQ as it is more limited in functionality than say lightroom.

My workflow is pretty basic, in that I'll crop loosely first of all. I usually use 'fine detail' on the picture styles drop down box but sometimes this will affect the WB so I may switch back to neutral. I'll use the eyedropper and sometimes make small WB adjustments with the cross sliders if I'm struggling with the auto WB.

I then go to the tab which is on the lower row, second from the left and on the sharpness area I usually select '3' and use 'sharpness' as opposed to unsharp mask. I use gentle noise reduction at this point (I bought the DPP4 guide by Arthur Morris and Arash Hazeghi which gives excellent NR recommendations).

I then go back to the left hand tab on the lower row and adjust exposure, highlights and shadows as necessary to ensure the file I send to PS has as much useable data as possible. The file at this stage is often quite flat.

Occasionally I'll make specific colour adjustments in the HSL tab which is bottom row, 4th from the left. This is pretty rare though with a decent file.

Then it's off to photoshop for black and white points, any targeted adjustments such as curves or vibrance.

I then save that as a master file.

I then resize that file for intended output, so 1024px at 72 ppi for here, do any sharpening or background noise reduction as necessary and export for web.

Sounds a bit complicated but it's really not once you've done it a few times.

Arthur and Arash's guide is a little pricey for what it is, but given the amount we spend on gear and travel I'd say it's been well worth it for me

Mike.
Mike do you find it a better raw convertor than ACR?

Mike do you find it a better raw convertor than ACR?

Hi mate,

Tough call to say in reality. I shoot most at ISO 1600 and above and don't process a large number of images, so I find the noise control a little better than lightroom.

That said, you do need to use DPP4 along with something along the lines of photoshop as it's lacking as a standalone program because all the adjustments are 'global'.

As much as I like DPP4 lightroom is by far the more flexible program and if you use lower ISOs or process in bulk then I'd recommend LR instead

All comes down to your individual style.

Mike.

Hi Mike,i used to use LR6 and also CC at different points of times have neither now, i have Affinity Photo for pixel editing and I prefer Apple photos cataloging systems use Capture 1 for Sony for my A6000 but was thinking the DPP for lens correction and basic raw conversion, with the 5D. it sounds like it does an ok job for that.

Back