Canon EF 200mm 2.8 L

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
No
Hi I am considering purchasing the above for use with sports shots and sometimes linked to the 1.4 teleconverter. Has anybody experience of this combo.

The compactness of the lens appeals to me.

I have no personal experience of this lens but a Flickr contact of mine uses this lens for Rugby and gets some great results.

A guy at my Rugby club also uses this lens with the 1.4 converter with some nice results.

I think it's a good option. This lens would appear to be sharp as a blade and doesn't pair too bad with the converter.

I used this lens for a bit, I found it great for sport but only when the action was the correct distance away. When using it for rugby you have to be reasonably close but you soon get to close.

I also used it with a third party 2x extender and got some good results, so I am sure it will work really well with a 1.4.

Here is an example wide open and heavily cropped...

IMG_6461.jpg

I have the 200L and a 1.4x and as has been suggested, it works very well indeed.

Pretty light, subtle and easy to carry with great image quality. A great combo.

Graham

I am using the 200MM 2.8L II with the Canon 1.4II extender, great results. Not a big hit on IQ, I try to use it in 5.6 where the IQ recovers .

Ive used mine with a tc and it works pretty well as long as you've got sufficient light.
Looks better with a black TC.

The 200mm f2.8L is my favourite lens of all. It's small, light and has outstanding image quality. It works very well indeed with the 1.4x, even wide open. It lacks IS which is a shame but other than that it is exceptional. I also have the 300mm f4 so I rarely need to use the 1.4x on my 200mm. However, the 200mm + 1.4x is smaller and more compact than the 300mm. I originally had the 70-200mm f2.8L IS but sold it in favour of the 200mm prime. The prime is far better in all aspects.

Last edited:
I took quite a few photos of birds with 200mm 2.8 and 1.4 II converter this week, will see if there are some decent ones worth putting up!

5790807137_b0bbec4c37_b.jpg
[/url]
robin by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's one with 200mm and 1.4,

Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 280 mm
ISO Speed 400

Sorry its a bit dark, it was a very dark day!

5791362498_94cf769f1c_b.jpg
[/url]
goldpost by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

One with just the lens by itself... a boring picture in itself but demonstrates FOV nicely!

Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 100

5790817197_0284ac5742_b.jpg
[/url]
sheep by TravellingCello, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's another with a 1.4 II converter - there's a tiny bit of motion blur if you look closely, I think because it was again overcast and I didn't want to raise the ISO too high....didn't notice til I got home.

Anyhow I think it shows that it takes the 1.4 extender very well!

Back