Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM Lens

Edit My Images
No
Right people, as I am in the mood for getting some L glass added to the collection, I am just about to sell my trusty 28-135 EF IS lens, and looking for a replacement.

The Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM Lens seems to come up often. Anyone here use one? I am looking for a walkabout lens, that will live on the cam most of the time.

Can anyone else suggest any others I should look at?

Cheers,
Will

for full frame cameras which obviously yours is its a decent focal range. wide enough for the odd landscape and just a bit shorter than my 70mm with a 1.6 crop so even without using this lens i feel it has a good range and plus im sue it has all the attributes that ~L glass carries.

Might be worth me grabbing one on hire for a week to see what I think. just like I did with the 100-400. I see mixed reviews on the net. Most of my work is outside, so I dont see the F4 an issue. I hope, hehe

It does seem to be missing the wow factor somehow but it is a solid, dependable lens. I'd like it a lot more if it came in a f/2.8 flavour ;)

This lives on my 30d, it a great lens. In an ideal world if it came in as f2.8 it would be perfect. At one point I did consider changing to the 24-70 2.8 but this is heavier and it doesn't have IS. It depends on what you can live with/without.

It does seem to be missing the wow factor somehow but it is a solid, dependable lens.
I think that's a pretty good summary.

Well everything is sounding quite positive. I think I may hire it just to have a play before I buy. Then I will look at maybe a couple of Primes.

I bought one of these a few weeks back, and WOW :eek:, you start to understand that the glass infront of the camera is THE key, i thought my other lenes were good (and to be honest they are) but the 24-105 blows them away, super sharp, even in low light, you wont be dissapointed

I can knock you up a raw file or two to play with if you want - let me know if you have an preference for ISO, focal length, f-stop and I'll go take a few shots (y)

I can knock you up a raw file or two to play with if you want - let me know if you have an preference for ISO, focal length, f-stop and I'll go take a few shots (y)

That would be fantastic of you dont mind mate. If you could grab one at F4 ISO of 100 of a still subject, like a flower, or something, that would be really great.

If I had a full frme body I'd have one of these of a 24-70 f2.8 it would be a tought decision but I reckon as a walk about the 24-105 would be fantastic and it doesn'r hit the wallet too hard considering it's L glass. I'm undecided on a crop body as for me it just wouldn't be wide enough but canon don't seem to want to make a decent lens with a 17-70(ish) range.

I've got the 24-105 on my 400d. It's a great lens. Pretty weighty but well built and strong.

Overall I really like it. It takes nice sharp shots, the only thing I don't like about it is that it's not wide enough on my crop body.

Using it for group shots at weddings is a bit of a nightmare. I'm undecided on whether to get a wider lens for this or to go ahead and buy a 5d mkII .. I'm hoping that it will be sufficiently wide on a FF body.

It's a shame the aperture isn't a little wider as well, not great when your in a dimly lit church.

im intending on getting one of these myself.

Kerso has them for £590 a piece inc delivery...not bad at all.

From all my investigations it seems this and the 24-70 f2.8 are close contenders. Depends whether IS or F2.8 is preferred.

My conclusion was that on a crop body the longer focal length would utilised more in conjunction with the IS. 24mm on a crop isn't wide enough however, 105 on a crop is equiv to 160 ish on full frame, with IS thrown in this is pretty good.

Then for the groups shots and landscapes the sigma 10-20 comes into play!!

However on FF i think the ultimate 4 lens combo would be
Canon 12 -22mm
Canon 24-70 L f2.8
canon 70-200 L f2.8 IS
Canon 50mm F1.8

one day eh!!!!

Its a really tough one really, I would hire it first from lenses from hire for a week and see how you get on. Either way i dont think youd be disapointed with image quality.

Put it this way, i have been looking for a secong hand one for nearly 3 months and they rarely come up as no one wants to part with them. If they do come up they hold their valu so well that, for me, i would rather pay the additional 50quid and buy new from kerso.

Tell you what, why dont you buy one and if you dont like it ill have it off you for a decent price!:clap:(y)

OOOo £590 is even better. Yep I will hire one for the week, then part with more cash. Oh dear, why could I not have a cheap hobby?

I've got the 24-105 on my 400d. It's a great lens. Pretty weighty but well built and strong.

Same here - 24-105 on a 400d body. My reasoning was this lens will stay with me if I upgrade the body at some point. I'm really pleased with it - just got back from a wedding in Barcelona and the lens stayed on the camera for the entire trip. Yes, it struggled a bit in the low light inside the Sagrada Familia and wasn't quite wide enough for some architectural shots but I coped ;)

I love it and wouldn't be without it. I bought mine off that nice Mr Kerso (who incidentally has just received an order for a 10-22 which should complement this lens nicely for me :LOL:)

However on FF i think the ultimate 4 lens combo would be
Canon 12 -22mm
Canon 24-70 L f2.8
canon 70-200 L f2.8 IS
Canon 50mm F1.8

Thought the 16-35 was the widest full frame zoom Canon did?

Anyway, I swapped my 24-70 for a 24-105 and am very happy with the swap. For me, the IS and longer reach worked much better for me than the 24-70.

Paul

I have both a 24-105 IS and a 28-70 F2.8 (previous version of the current 24-70). I think that the 2.8 is better distortion wise, and gives me better bokeh, but I tend to use the 24-105 more when I am shooting travel and stock. It is a really nice lens. I really don't have that much to conplain about it. (I got it new in the UK for under £400 but then that is another story)

Thought the 16-35 was the widest full frame zoom Canon did?

Anyway, I swapped my 24-70 for a 24-105 and am very happy with the swap. For me, the IS and longer reach worked much better for me than the 24-70.

Paul

yea was thinking the same, 12-22mm?? Maybe it was just his wishlist of whats bought out in the future...

I'm in a similar position myself, I've currently got the 24-70 f2.8 on hire, I done a wedding with it on Thursday and it performed excellently. I do like the look of the 24-105 right enough, the difference between f2.8 and f4.0 being the main issue, however, how much of a difference does the IS make?

What I was going to do, is buy the 24-105mm f4 and the Sigma 10-20mm, then start saving for the 70-200mm f2.8!

decisions decisions!!!

Dave

The IS makes a huge difference - at least 3 stops in terms of stationary subjects. Hand-held 1/3rd a second at the wide end (y)

Well I have started getting some old glass onto the bay to get some £'s back in. Looks like I will get one :)

I bought this lens with a 40D.....I love it! Its pin sharp and general IQ is fantastic....I do wonder if the 24-70mm 2.8 would have been a better investment as the f4 is really limiting in doors!

I can provide some flickr links of shots ive taken with this....if your interested?

Yeah mate, stick up some images, that would be great!

Dave

....Its pin sharp and general IQ is fantastic
....I do wonder if the 24-70mm 2.8 would have been a better investment....
IF the 24-105 is pin sharp and has fantastic IQ then the 24-70 is unlikely to have been a better investment.

I do however believe that the 24-105 has attained some mythical status that really is beyond its place in the Canon line-up. It's not stunningly sharp until it's stopped down a few stops, it vignettes a fair bit, there's a little distortion at both ends of the range.
In its favour it has a useful range on any body style and is very affordable...an L class kit lens in simple parlance.
In footballing terms, it's not the flashy winger or brick wall centre half...it's a journeyman midfielder that gets off the bench for the last 15 minutes to steady the ship.

Bob

IF the 24-105 is pin sharp and has fantastic IQ then the 24-70 is unlikely to have been a better investment.

I do however believe that the 24-105 has attained some mythical status that really is beyond its place in the Canon line-up. It's not stunningly sharp until it's stopped down a few stops, it vignettes a fair bit, there's a little distortion at both ends of the range.
In its favour it has a useful range on any body style and is very affordable...an L class kit lens in simple parlance.
In footballing terms, it's not the flashy winger or brick wall centre half...it's a journeyman midfielder that gets off the bench for the last 15 minutes to steady the ship.

Bob

Thats why I have the 24-70 Bob;)

Back