Canon ef 24-70 f2.8 zoom issue

Edit My Images
No
Just bought one of these off eBay. Sold as excellent condition, which, to be fair, it is. Problem is, it won't go to 24 or 70. If I hold the zoom ring and apply pressure, I can only get 25 and 67. Without holding its 27 and 66. There's also a step/bump in the motor when moving from the 70 end. Anyone got any ideas/experience of this please before I claim a refund. Cheers. Pete.

Send it back for a refund.

Just had a response from the guy, basically saying he's been in touch with Canon and there aren't any issues, regarding this matter, with that particular lens. He then got in touch with a service centre in Stoke on Trent ( Lehmans is it?? ) they say it's probably because it's not been used for 18 months or so and that given a fortnight of use and at room temperature it could well be back to normal. Also, if not, "we" would have to send it to them for a service, cost £169 - £220. Problem waiting 2 weeks is my eBay 30 days would be up. Also why should I have to pay towards a service??? He did also offer a refund....... What do you guys reckon, stump some towards a service and get a perfectly working lens. Or refund and try again. Cheers

Personally i would go for a refund. Why should you have to pay for any servicing/repair costs?
I don't know i great deal about how lenses work but I don't see how a lens that's not been used i a while would have the issues yours has, maybe someone on here could answer that though.

My advice would be to immediately send it back and get a refund. Do not waste your time or money pursuing alternatives. Excellent condition doesn't mean it should come with faults.

I wouldn't trust that advice from H Lehmann. Stiffness, sure, that might loosen up. But a step/bump in the zoom mechanism is always bad news. Get a refund.

That's confirmed also in my mind. I want the same lens but have been really sketchy of buying via eBay or gumtree. Wasn't sure about MPB before also, it's popped up on Facebook as a sponsored advert thought it was dodge but looking through this valuable thread seems it's legit! Thanks all!

I have had some excellent lens and camera purchases on E Bay - there is no way I would have my current kit if it wasn't for the Bay! Having said that buying via them is no reason to compromise!

The lens is not functioning as described/should do so it goes back - SIMPLE! If Lehmans can fix it that's fine but it is the vendor's problem - not yours!

Confession time guys, I didn't take the advice offered!!! The guy offered me a refund of £100 which brought the lens into bargain territory. I then sent it to H Lehman,s for the gold service, which included replacement guides, so I added almost £100 to his 100 and I got my lens serviced, cleaned and repaired.

Back