Canon EF 35mm F2.0

Name
Dann
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I've got a Canon 600D with the kit lens, 70-300mm sigma and nifty fifty.

As it's getting into summer I want a smaller prime lens for car show shots etc and found the 35mm f2 could be a good option for me.

What are people's opinions on them?
Are they any good or will I be better off using the kit lens?

Thanks
Dann

Despite I own 2 other L lenses covering that focal range, I use the 35 f2 most of the time. It's sharp, it's relatively fast and it just works.

I love it because even at f2, it's still sharp in the centre. You won't be disappointed.

Another lover of the 35mm F2 here.

But, you mention car shows. What sort of shot are you thinking of?

Honestly I have no idea.

I love the 50mm but find it a little long. I'll also use it for indoor shots of my nephew etc

the 35 may still be to long on a crop as with car shows you dont get a lot of room to play with well thats my opinion, i went to a 10-20 sigma as so to kill 2 birds with 1 stone i can use it at car shows and as a landscape lens ok you get some wide angle distortion but at 10mm you dont need a lot of room around it as richard said depends what type of shots your looking to get i found my 50 to long thats why i went to the 10-20 you could use your kit lens at the 17mm end

The 35mm is a very nice lens, but if you don't need the F/2.0 then the 40mm STM Pancake F/2.8 is a smaller, cheaper and noticeably sharper alternative. Both 35mm and 40mm can be a tad long on a crop, but not much difference between them.

OneStop-Digital are currently doing the 40mm for £112 delivered.

Last edited:
The 35mm is a very nice lens, but if you don't need the F/2.0 then the 40mm STM Pancake F/2.8 is a smaller, cheaper and noticeably sharper alternative. Both 35mm and 40mm can be a tad long on a crop, but not much difference between them.

OneStop-Digital are currently doing the 40mm for £112 delivered.

The 35mm F/2 does seem to benefit from use on a crop camera though and I'd say its sharper wide open than most primes from its era so you are getting a useable extra stop over the 40mm f2.8.

I usually have my 35 f2 on my 7D and my 50 f1.4 on my 5D3 and they give me fairly even shots. On the times I've swapped them about and put the 35 on my 5D3 it just blows me away. Great IQ from it on both bodies so it's a lens I can always rely on anytime.

With having a FF and a Crop and having the 35 f2, a 40 f2.8, a 50 f1.4, an 85 f1.8 and a 100 f2.8L macro I've got loads of FL cover from 35 to 160 in primes and I find myself using them more and more recently than just relying on my zoom lenses. The 35 f2 on my 5D3 is something very special though, and compared to the 40mm pancake it's definitely sharper although the 40mm seems to AF quicker.

I used the one I recently purchased from this forum at the weekend, it was at a wedding and i have to say, Im very very happy with the quality. I didnt think a lens in this price bracket would have been as sharp as it is. Thank you Gary43

Back