Canon EF 400mm DO IS USM Mk1/Mk2 Owners thread

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
A thread for all matters related to the Canon EF 400mm DO Mk1 and MK2 lenses

Just to start this off, I bought a replacement lens foot for my copy of this lens, a LP-59N from Kirk Enterprise Solutions for when I might use it on a tripod

I have recently added a 1.4x iii extender to my kit and used it quite alot whilst on my recent trip to Mull, their didn't seem to be any noticeable slowness in the autofocus on my 7dmk2, so I am contemplating the purchase of the 2.0x iii extender with the 400 DO mk2

One thing I have noticed about using the 400mm DO mk2 prime is the getting used to not having a zoom like I did on the sigma 150-600mm C lens, so its a bit more about re-composing my shot and more use of the focus points and moving them to suit.

I have recently added a 1.4x iii extender to my kit and used it quite alot whilst on my recent trip to Mull, their didn't seem to be any noticeable slowness in the autofocus on my 7dmk2, so I am contemplating the purchase of the 2.0x iii extender with the 400 DO mk2

....Okay, I don't have a 400mm DO but can offer you my opinion that the 2x III Extender works extremely well on Canon's version II prime telephoto L lenses < In my case the 500mm F/4L II. Here is a link to my album on Flickr to form your own opinion about the 2x III :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157685377629534

I have seen excellent results with the 2x III on Canon's 300mm F/2.8L too. Also on Canon's 600mm F/4L II.

When I was considering buying a 400mm DO I would not have done so without also buying a 2x III. In the end I went for the 500mm as I already had the 100-400mm (which doesn't take the 2x well) which works well with the 1.4x III.

I hope this helps.

Now that Canon have released both the 400mm and 600mm F/4L III which are much lighterweight, does this mean that the 600mm DO will most likely never appear?

I realise that such questions can only be speculation until Canon make any official announcements.

Robin thanks for the info and link to your photos which I will have a look at at some point, a little update is that I am going to upgrade to a 5dmk4 to benefit with the low light performance and use of higher ISO, with this in mind I will more than probably get the 2x iii to use with the full frame body.

Last edited:
Robin thanks for the info and link to your photos which I will have a look at at some point, a little update is that I am going to upgrade to a 5dmk4 to the benefit of the low light performance annd use of higher ISO, with this in mind I will more than probably get the 2x iii to use with the full frame body.

....I have had a 7D-2 since they were released in the UK and have used the 2x III on it. Also, my first full-frame body was a 5D-4 and so I have used the 2x III on that too < Both on my 500mm lens.

I have subsequently sold my 5D-4 in part-ex for a 1DX-2 but have found that although both FF bodies offer less 'reach' than the 7D-2, the FF bodies offer slightly better image quality. The 7D-2 is far from shabby though.

....I have had a 7D-2 since they were released in the UK and have used the 2x III on it. Also, my first full-frame body was a 5D-4 and so I have used the 2x III on that too < Both on my 500mm lens.

I have subsequently sold my 5D-4 in part-ex for a 1DX-2 but have found that although both FF bodies offer less 'reach' than the 7D-2, the FF bodies offer slightly better image quality. The 7D-2 is far from shabby though.

Robin can you tell us how the 2x ext presumably iii,preformed AF speed wise, with the 7Dii and 5Div compared to the 1dxIi please. I'd personally value your opinion,but I also think it might help Martin,which is more important to me,given i've made my choices

Martin you need that 2Xext in your bag ,it;s a no brainer it's only hundreds of pounds rather than thousands and it adds so much to your. focal lengths. The 400 DO IS ii takes these ext's so well. Sure i'm still getting to grips with it all,the biggest issue for me is shooting at f8 in blighty in the grey, But that said these new sensors help a hell of alot. I honestly wonder whether the 1dxii might be a better choice,even if you go second hand UK stock or grey. The weightis the only negative I can really see. i'd love to have a 5div aswell for the extra pixies,but the DXii is one hell of a tool,prices are dropping and also black friday isn't so far,good deals there from Canon last year mate,might be worth waiting to see wha's on offer

All the luck bro,bear portrait is lovely...ha ha primes really make ya frame don't they,it's hard but a good disciplin to master.........you can see why I moan so much about my own failings up close,but I have to learn this,it's imperative

all the luck

stu

Robin can you tell us how the 2x ext presumably iii, performed AF speed wise, with the 7Dii and 5Div compared to the 1dxIi please. I'd personally value your opinion,but I also think it might help Martin,which is more important to me,given i've made my choices

Martin you need that 2Xext in your bag ,it;s a no brainer it's only hundreds of pounds rather than thousands and it adds so much to your. focal lengths. The 400 DO IS ii takes these ext's so well. Sure i'm still getting to grips with it all,the biggest issue for me is shooting at f8 in blighty in the grey, But that said these new sensors help a hell of alot. I honestly wonder whether the 1dxii might be a better choice,even if you go second hand UK stock or grey. The weightis the only negative I can really see. i'd love to have a 5div aswell for the extra pixies,but the DXii is one hell of a tool,prices are dropping and also black friday isn't so far,good deals there from Canon last year mate,might be worth waiting to see wha's on offer

....Yes, firstly it is quite important to use the version III Canon Extenders as they play very well with the version II (and now III) white L lenses.

The following information I am giving is not based on anything remotely scientific but is merely how it feels to use and the results I personally find acceptable. AF is slowed down when an Extender is mounted and that's primarily due to the maximum aperture becoming smaller and consequently (broadly speaking) the sensor reading from less light input < This of course varies slightly because of the camera body's capabilities and, as Stu suggests, the 1DX-2 currently performs the best. It is afterall Canon's flagship.

AF feels slower when in AI SERVO and tracking than in ONE SHOT. The 2x feels slightly slower than the 1.4x AF. But it also depends on light and speed of movement and doesn't always matter to the final image result.

If your Canon L lens has the option, if you switch to Stabiliser Mode 3 then IS is off while you are shooting and is only actioned when the shutter is released. This works best if you use Back Button Focus. The reason it slightly, not completely, counteracts the reduced AF tracking speed is because the IS motors aren't permanently in use and hence requiring more from the processor. Having dual processors is yet another reason why the 1DX-2 performs better than a 5D-4. I find that the 5D-4 and 7D-2 perform AF very similarly but the higher fps rate of the 7D-2 gives the impression that it nails more shots.

Some lenses take Extenders better than others. For example the 1.4x works very well on the 100-400mm F/4L II but the 2x kills AF. My 500mm F/4L II takes either well and I have been surprised how well it takes the 2x III < Check out 'THE 1,000 COLLECTION' Album on my Flickr page. The faster F/2.8L lenses (none of which I have) should perform even better.

Btw, having had a 5D-4 with more pixels than the 1DX-2 has, I haven't missed or even been aware of those extra pixels < However, I don't print my images. The image quality of the 5D-4 is more noticeably better than the 7D-2 but the 7D-2 ain't shabby.

I agree totally with Stu that if you have white prime L lenses, a 2x III Extender is definitely a very worthwhile option to have. and so is the 1.4x III.

I hope this helps. :)

Robin ,briefly ,appreciated,it was exactly your opinion in the field,your experience,I was asking after. I understand the facts on paper ...as best I can,but real world field experience is so helpful. I have only been able to speak to a few folks whom have owned all three bodies Robin. i've asked this question a few times Field experience here with our light is so useful. Plus I know you have more to offer Martin than I

Robin yes I also use the 1.4 ext iii. The 400 DOii takes the extenders very well Robin I'm honestly not sure of the weight difference what it might be between 600 DO and more normal??:rolleyes: optics 600 f 4. I'd have a 600DO in a snap shot if it handled like the 400 DO does... I don't need a 600,but ya know:D

thank you robin It's hard trying to work out what is best for each of us,we are all differnt and shoot slightly differently, this might help Martin... I think these extenders are very useful and if one has enough light the results from the latest tech is amazing. There have long been questions over the 2x and IQ but with the latest tech it's pretty good,

thank you:)

....Yes, firstly it is quite important to use the version III Canon Extenders as they play very well with the version II (and now III) white L lenses.

The following information I am giving is not based on anything remotely scientific but is merely how it feels to use and the results I personally find acceptable. AF is slowed down when an Extender is mounted and that's primarily due to the maximum aperture becoming smaller and consequently (broadly speaking) the sensor reading from less light input < This of course varies slightly because of the camera body's capabilities and, as Stu suggests, the 1DX-2 currently performs the best. It is afterall Canon's flagship.

AF feels slower when in AI SERVO and tracking than in ONE SHOT. The 2x feels slightly slower than the 1.4x AF. But it also depends on light and speed of movement and doesn't always matter to the final image result.

If your Canon L lens has the option, if you switch to Stabiliser Mode 3 then IS is off while you are shooting and is only actioned when the shutter is released. This works best if you use Back Button Focus. The reason it slightly, not completely, counteracts the reduced AF tracking speed is because the IS motors aren't permanently in use and hence requiring more from the processor. Having dual processors is yet another reason why the 1DX-2 performs better than a 5D-4. I find that the 5D-4 and 7D-2 perform AF very similarly but the higher fps rate of the 7D-2 gives the impression that it nails more shots.

Some lenses take Extenders better than others. For example the 1.4x works very well on the 100-400mm F/4L II but the 2x kills AF. My 500mm F/4L II takes either well and I have been surprised how well it takes the 2x III < Check out 'THE 1,000 COLLECTION' Album on my Flickr page. The faster F/2.8L lenses (none of which I have) should perform even better.

Btw, having had a 5D-4 with more pixels than the 1DX-2 has, I haven't missed or even been aware of those extra pixels < However, I don't print my images. The image quality of the 5D-4 is more noticeably better than the 7D-2 but the 7D-2 ain't shabby.

I agree totally with Stu that if you have white prime L lenses, a 2x III Extender is definitely a very worthwhile option to have. and so is the 1.4x III.

I hope this helps. :)
Thanks for the in depth info Robin and its much appreciated too, with this advice in mind from you and Stu in a real world use I have decided that a
2x iii as well as the 1.4x iii will be included in my kit, a friend has a 5d4 for sale which I'm going to pick up tommorow, I'll get some photos put up on here taken with my 400mm DO mk2 using both extenders on the 5d4 in the next few days.

Thanks

Martin

Last edited:
Well fellow toggers I have jumped into the world of the full frame photographer, got myself a 5d mkiv off a friend of mine who is going into mirrorless gear, not had a real chance to use it outdoors yet, but I did check out the layout
of the 5div, it seems its similar to the 7d2 in that respect with some extras, hopefully I can do it justice on my days off.

Martin

P.S any ideas on a backpack to carry the 5div + 400mm DO 2 and another camera body+ a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The bag I have is just made to carry the 400mm DO 2 with a camera body attached plus cards/batteries etc....

Martin

Well fellow toggers I have jumped into the world of the full frame photographer, got myself a 5d mkiv off a friend of mine who is going into mirrorless gear, not had a real chance to use it outdoors yet, but I did check out the layout of the 5div, it seems its similar to the 7d2 in that respect with some extras, hopefully I can do it justice on my days off.

....They are similar in handling and controls, menus etc, in fact as all of the EOS camera bodies are. So they are easy to quickly adapt to and use. I have owned and used both the 7D-2 and 5D-4 together.

P.S any ideas on a backpack to carry the 5div + 400mm DO 2 and another camera body+ a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The bag I have is just made to carry the 400mm DO 2 with a camera body attached plus cards/batteries etc....

....I suggest looking at Lowepro. I have the 450AW which holds two bodies plus 500mm prime plus 100-400mm < All Canon EOS system gear.

It's also a size which is acceptable in airline cabin overhead lockers < Just!

....They are similar in handling and controls, menus etc, in fact as all of the EOS camera bodies are. So they are easy to quickly adapt to and use. I have owned and used both the 7D-2 and 5D-4 together.

....I suggest looking at Lowepro. I have the 450AW which holds two bodies plus 500mm prime plus 100-400mm < All Canon EOS system gear.

It's also a size which is acceptable in airline cabin overhead lockers < Just!
Thanks again Robin for the info I got a lowepro Flipside 500AWII which I can get all my kit in and with slightly smaller dimensions than your backpack it should be good for taking on as hand luggage

Cor........................tell me about this please Martin. hope you are good bro?:)

stu

This was a bit of a bonus as I went to an hide to try out wide angle photography at night using a wifi remote, but Tom who owns the hide/land asked if I'd like to try for the kingfishers that were coming to his newly made pond, of which it was a definite yes. Their were a pair but as is the way I didn't manage to get them together on the same perch. Settings wise it was shot at 1/2500 F/6.3 ISO 800

Does anybody know if the mk1 is still repairable/serviceable from reliable companies?

If it is no longer serviced by canon then your biggest problem will probably be finding spare parts. your best best is to contact Canon and find out if they still support the first 400 DO. If they do then your reliable companies will still be able to get parts. If not you are down to finding someone whom has broken a lens for spares. My old 300 f2.8 IS becoming unsupported was a big factor in making me upgrade to the DO II. My fear with the DO lenses is that they are fairly scarce and so spare parts are going to be in even harder to find than say parts for my old 300 IS. Once canon have stopped support you are basically in the lap of the gods if something brakes ! Which with a more expensive lens is a worry.

Hope this helps

stu

If it is no longer serviced by canon then your biggest problem will probably be finding spare parts. your best best is to contact Canon and find out if they still support the first 400 DO. If they do then your reliable companies will still be able to get parts. If not you are down to finding someone whom has broken a lens for spares. My old 300 f2.8 IS becoming unsupported was a big factor in making me upgrade to the DO II. My fear with the DO lenses is that they are fairly scarce and so spare parts are going to be in even harder to find than say parts for my old 300 IS. Once canon have stopped support you are basically in the lap of the gods if something brakes ! Which with a more expensive lens is a worry.

Hope this helps

stu
Thanks Stuart. I've found a company that still service and repairs them and according to them, will carry on for a while yet.

Martin, shoots with a do mark ii Chips. I do aswell It's a hell of a tool, takes the exts well, sharp as a knife. Rob" gyrob" had one for sale in our classifieds recently. I've not shots with a 500ii so can't compare IQ it can't be far away though but I've held a dxii with a 500 on the 400 is like a toy,to carry by comparison. Maybe the DO behaves slightly differently in strong backlit . I can't really think of negatives bar that bit of reach sorry for butting in hopefully Martin will be about shortly I've been using the DO ii for a couple of years now I personally love it :)
ATB
stu

Martin, shoots with a do mark ii Chips. I do aswell It's a hell of a tool, takes the exts well, sharp as a knife. Rob" gyrob" had one for sale in our classifieds recently. I've not shots with a 500ii so can't compare IQ it can't be far away though but I've held a dxii with a 500 on the 400 is like a toy,to carry by comparison. Maybe the DO behaves slightly differently in strong backlit . I can't really think of negatives bar that bit of reach sorry for butting in hopefully Martin will be about shortly I've been using the DO ii for a couple of years now I personally love it :)
ATB
stu
Thanks for this. I wish I had seen that advert. I might go and see what was paid for it. I can't be sure if this is not GAS or a genuine way to get me to use my big prime more often.... I have the 1.4ii extender which would take it to 560mm but then the aperture gets smaller too. Hmm.

I can't see it now mate either maybe ask Rob?? LMAO he might say I'm bonkers, maybe it sold or maybe a rethink?? I'm sure it was rob he mentioned he wasn't using it as he tended to need reach,I still might be mad though:LOL: I use the two ext iii/s hardly any drop in iQ with the 1.4 a tad with the 2X they are backed with a DXii think Martin shoots with 5Div. It's light in weight "Chips" really light, handles fantastically Maybe on a descission of this scale it might be worth hiring for a few days when you have time to put it through it's paces. I shoot lots of wildlife,and stalk. I needed a tele that I can maul on my tummy for a couple of hundred yards if needed. That was my primary reason for not going with the 500 plus cost............. it had to be a mark ii lens not mark i as I wanted the canon support. I also tend to have beasties come close so reach wasn't quite as big a deal to me as maybe it would be to others.

Weight is weight if you don't use the 500 because the pain spoils your day I think there is more than GAS going on . I'm really a hand holder the 400DOisII is a fabulous tool for someone like me. I guess we will see a 500is III in the not too distant future,that might also be of interest to you if they shave the same amount of weight off as they have with the 400 2.8 and 600 f4 is iii lenses it will be a tough call bar possible cost . If there is anything I can help ya with kiddo just ask. i'm not the most advanced wildlife image maker that's for sure but I'll try and help if I can. The one thing I can say is don't worry on the IQ if I get my end right it's capable or very sharp images!!

Yes it sold .
Rob.

Greenshank from a visit to Tophill Low near Driffield
Greenshank 2 ( TH ) (1 of 1).jpgGreenshank 5 ( TH ) (1 of 1).jpg
Canon 7D2 with Canon 400mm DO MK2

Last edited:
Just seen the updates to the post, I've had a mk 2 DO almost since it came out, and it's travelled extensively with me in various continents for wildlife stuff.
I can only say that it resides permanently on one of my 1Dx2's with a 1.4 converter, and I really can't tell the converter is on it, the performance (as you'd expect) is excellent.
With the x2 it's still very good and light as a feather (!) for an 800mm, but there is a small but noticeable drop in IQ and the af a bit more "hunty" sometimes, but still easy to handhold and if you don't pixel peep the results are great.
Wouldn't be without it!
Glad to see others are appreciating a lens which, for reasons unknown to me, Canon don't really promote.

George.

Just seen the updates to the post, I've had a mk 2 DO almost since it came out, and it's travelled extensively with me in various continents for wildlife stuff.
I can only say that it resides permanently on one of my 1Dx2's with a 1.4 converter, and I really can't tell the converter is on it, the performance (as you'd expect) is excellent.
With the x2 it's still very good and light as a feather (!) for an 800mm, but there is a small but noticeable drop in IQ and the af a bit more "hunty" sometimes, but still easy to handhold and if you don't pixel peep the results are great.
Wouldn't be without it!
Glad to see others are appreciating a lens which, for reasons unknown to me, Canon don't really promote.

George.
Hello George,too long no speak I hope your are well, :) I saw your post and thought I'd say Hi as much as anything and cheers for the previous help naturally.

Mate , your last line : do you think that the 500 f4 is iii if it ever surfaces will make the DO not so desirable..... presumably canon will shave of weight on the 500 like they have the 400 f2.9 and 600 f4. I sort of wondered if that might tie in somehow to your comment about the lack of promotion. There was a 600 DO rumoured for a good while. I just wondered whether the new superteles (IS iii) being so much lighter canon might have concentrated their efforts there,to the expense of the "DO line"?

I adore mine,it sure was a pain buying it but once that saga was out of the way I've never looked back. I really ought to post more images full stop, but specifically more here in this thread as it might be a resource for others thinking about this lens.

So on that score a couple from me for the mo that have appeared elsewhere here .

_S2I7515 lev smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_S2I4664 buck &#x27;n&#x27;cups sml by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers

stu

Hi Stu, good to hear from you!

I'm away at the moment, but will reply fully when back.....glad you're enjoying the lens, though!!

George.

HI Stu,

Got a bit more time now...in answer to your thoughts, I'd suspect a 500 Mk3 would still be substantially heavier than a 400 DO, although I'm sure it would be closer as the 600 mk3 is now lighter than the 500 mk2.......but at what price point?

As it is, the DO is substantially cheaper than either of the other two, and any mk3 will be priced higher than the current one I'm sure, so you'll have to have deep pockets to afford that one!!

I saw the prototype 600 DO a few years ago when it was at one of the exhibitions, and again that, if/when it comes out , will be a pretty expensive beast.

My main argument for the 400DO is it's weight, I can hand hold it even with a x1.4 extender, and so for capturing action shots it's very adaptable.

Having said that, I'm off to Patagonia and as weight really will be an issue there, I'm just taking my 100-400 with a 1.4 which again works very well with the 1Dx2.

Be interested in anyone else's thoughts, however, and I wonder if the 600 DO might have an R mount?

George.

Be interested in anyone else's thoughts, however, and I wonder if the 600 DO might have an R mount?

Producing a long'ish telephoto with a shorter register distance woud be more challenging than producing it for a nominal EF distance. It's feasible that it could be produced for both versions by employing a selectable rear mount. Back in the 60's, Kilfitt and Meyer both produced their longer telephotos with the rearmost lens group around 80mm from the film plane and then offered a choice of mounts which simply affixed to the main barrel of the lens. This allowed one optical formula to be used with both the 74mm flange distance of the Pentacon Six bodies and on any M42 bodies with a flange distance of 45mm.

A cost effective method of production I would have thought.

Bob

Last edited:
So don't you think Canon will produce any more EF only super teles, Bob?

It does seem that with the rumoured pro R in a year or two that's the way things are moving, but there have to be an awful lot of mirror slappers like me who don't fancy a complete range change yet, and anyway at the moment the R series wouldn't suit my uses, although obviously that will change in the future as mirrorless technology improves, and I love the idea of a silent 14 FPS...(and so do the otters and my wife who videos and who is constantly complaining about the shutter noise!!!)....

George

So don't you think Canon will produce any more EF only super teles, Bob?
An EF supertele is usable on an R with an adapter so it would be logical to cover both markets with one design and simply screw on (or order it with) the required lens mount.

Bob

Back