Canon EF 400mm DO IS USM Mk1/Mk2 Owners thread

I'd like to be the good samaritan Russ but I'm being a meany too (y):) the 400mm DO 2 is a top lens especially for us that like to have a mooch about, I'll keep my ears and eyes open for any 400 DO 2 lenses about, MPB did have one but not sure if its still available
Hi guys
I'm looking to swap my pristine EF 300 f2.8 Mk2 for a similar quality EF 400 f4 DO Mk2 - please see my advert in the "Classified: For Sale or Swap" Canon section if you're interested.
Ta!

Russ

I'd like to be the good samaritan Russ but I'm being a meany too (y):) the 400mm DO 2 is a top lens especially for us that like to have a mooch about, I'll keep my ears and eyes open for any 400 DO 2 lenses about, MPB did have one but not sure if its still available
- Thanks Martin - you're both meanies! :p
- I've been in touch with MPB, and yes it's been sold - but they've put me on a waiting list should a good one appear. I'll buy if I need to, but would prefer to swap for my 300f2.8 if poss!
- great if you could keep your ears open too - much appreciated (y)

Russ

HA the green meanies it does have a ring to it;)

Russ watch the black friday deals closely this next week. At the time I bought mine,almost exactly 2 years back the BF deal was offering around the same if not better as used prices, if memory serves 20%off. Plus 3 years warranty with canon and also interest free credit options. Also track Mifsuds(spelling?) down in Brixham and also LCE as other used options. I realize you want a straight swap ideally mate,but those deals gave me a better way in than second hand. Things might be different now ,but worth a ponder:) I tried to look last night but don't think they are announced just yet
good hunting!!
stu

No problems Russ I'll keep a look out for any potential 400mm DO mk2 lens for sale
- Thanks Martin - you're both meanies! :p
- I've been in touch with MPB, and yes it's been sold - but they've put me on a waiting list should a good one appear. I'll buy if I need to, but would prefer to swap for my 300f2.8 if poss!
- great if you could keep your ears open too - much appreciated (y)

Russ

I'd be tempted to go the Mifsuds route at 5K, at least they should give you a good warranty.

You'll love it when you get it, Russ, I've had mine since they came out and wouldn't be without it.
George.

just looked and there are 3 on ebay, 2 of which are uk sellers and one is Mifsuds so give them a look
I'd be tempted to go the Mifsuds route at 5K, at least they should give you a good warranty.
You'll love it when you get it, Russ, I've had mine since they came out and wouldn't be without it.
George.
- many thanks gents for keeping an eye out for this lens for me; much appreciated!
- I really want to do a swap for my 300 f2.8 lens as a private deal on here if I possibly can. I have had an offer from MPB as a swap for a used 400 DO they had in, but their offer price for my excellent 300 lens was derisory!
- I'm in no hurry, as my 300 f2.8 + x1.4 works very well for me, but I want the extra reach and lighter weight / better balance of a 400 DO on my 1DXii for BIF in my advancing years!!

Russ

Thought I'd post a couple of shots with the 400 and x2 converter...I find this combo great for relatively close shots in terms of sharpness, however at distances approaching infinity it's less so. These are all taken at relatively close quarters in the Maasai Mara, Kenya.

_GR22629.jpg

African roller eating a poor unfortunate locust.....iso 160 800mmf8 1/800...100% crop..

and here's a serval looking for a meal!!

Original Servil.jpg

Original shot...
_GR23186.jpg

iso 1600 f13 1/1000 800mm

Mostly I use it with the 1.4 but I consider these fine for at least A3 prints.

George.

Last edited:
Actually when I look at them here they don't look quite as sharp as they really are, not sure why but I can send anyone the raw files if they want!!

Must now be quite a few owners in the forum now!

Out to the local Wildlife Park today for the first time to test my new DO Mk2. First impressions are great - nicer balance and lighter weight than my previous 300 f2.8 Mk2 on my 1DX2, and no need for a 1.4 TC to achieve similar "reach". Good image contrast - but not really had chance to test AF speed yet:

_59I6458.jpg

_59I6318.jpg

_59I6398.jpg

Just need to get some BIF images later in week!

Russ

So glad your pleased bro lovely frames, Russ tell me what happens when you shoot towards the light there's a difference withiin hilights

Mate, you know how you see something and your brain computes a weight and force required by your arm to lift that object. Every now and then the brain is waay off and the object one is picking up goes up much too fast. The DO does that to me I still try to pick up my 300 it's strange :LOL: has that crossed your mind or is it just me??

I'm really curious as to how you view the difference in AF speed between the two lenses both are mark II in you case and especially because you are sooooooo familiar with the 300 Russ. Bring on the BIF's

Ha you make some lovely pics mate;)

I'm really curious as to how you view the difference in AF speed between the two lenses both are mark II in you case and especially because you are sooooooo familiar with the 300 Russ. Bring on the BIF's
Hi Stu
It's too early for me to answer your queries Mate as I've yet to use the lens much in anger! But so far, so very good - it certainly balances well even with a x1.4 TC attached to the "brick"(y)

Russ

I know Russ I'm a bit premature,sorry bro................. I ought let you have chance to breath first:D I didn't mean now right away just while the transition is fresh. That's why I asked so soon you will be so aware of the differences for a while,but that will fade with time. Maybe not fade but become different

No pressure though buddy,it's just we have sort of arrived at a similar place via the use of fairly similar lenses,leastways while I've known you to speak to here and there.So i'm just plain interested in what your thoughts will be,ha, they are valued :p

But yeah I know give the guy a chance :LOL:

Had a mooch T'other day looking for Marsh Harriers at my local reserve which I dipped out on, as usual at this spot their are a few Roe about, this female had seen me as I saw it ( we've all been their I think ), instead of trying to get a shot of her through the trees and grass, I carried on as if I hadn't seen her. Finding a gap further down the hedge I stood and waited, as she came around the bank to where I was I snapped a few shots, she could hear the camera but couldn't quite work out where I was. A bit close so I've cropped it to a profile image. Roe portrait 5-2-20 PC (1 of 1).jpg
560mm ISO 320 f/7.1 1/800 sec

Last edited:
Nicely done Martin, it gives me goose bumps when they come so close.:D

So glad your pleased bro lovely frames, Russ tell me what happens when you shoot towards the light there's a difference withiin hilights

Mate, you know how you see something and your brain computes a weight and force required by your arm to lift that object. Every now and then the brain is waay off and the object one is picking up goes up much too fast. The DO does that to me I still try to pick up my 300 it's strange :LOL: has that crossed your mind or is it just me??

Hi Stu, mate,
- I've now had a bit more use of my new camera/lens combo, but sadly no BIF yet - life just gets in the way! :(
- The local wildlife park (YWF) is just around the corner from me, so it's been a great location to test all the various settings and handleability of this great combo. I've not experienced the "picking up the 300mm lens effect" that you mention, perhaps because I now use the heavy 1DXii, whereas I previously had my (lighter) 7D2 on the 300 - those 2 different combos probably weigh similar? What I really do notice, however, is the better balance now when I handhold the 1DXii / 400ii combo.
- I tracked this Amur Leopard running at full tilt towards me at feed time - all 14 frames were spot on, and you can judge the sharpness of the head shot. (y)
- what I had previously read was some concern expressed online about the quality of the Bokeh compared to the 300mm, but so far I've not seen a prob.

_59I7385.jpg

_59I7392.jpg

_59I7399.jpg

_59I7436.jpg

All the best Stu :)

Russ

Last edited:
Russ, I wrote this big post to you by way of thanks and saw hundreds of owls on t 'ele.:) I rushed a PM off to Phil cause I thought he would love seeing it.......... and deleted me post to you at the same time:exit: Erm sorry mate

cheers for the above tis really appreciated you won't get that weight strange thing with a camera involved it's when I pick it up bare Russ say while cleaning.

Shooting the DO against the light especially with bright specular hi lights is the only place I see the boken as different Russ to my old 300 IS.

The Amur is a thing of beauty huh. It's profound to me that the same base species of cat ie leopard can be found so far north and south.

Love the images :)

....it's when I pick it up bare Russ say while cleaning.
- sorry mate, I missed the point about it being a bare lens weight comparison - but I never separate my birding camera from the long prime lens, neither do I ever clean my lens (it's always got a camo cover and lens hood on) !!! You must get into much dirtier locations than I do :p
All the best Stu

Russ

Yup I'm a dirty stop out :LOL:

I think it's the low images Russ, that is the cause especially when it's really dry. I also have a camo cover on the lens hood at all times when not in use . I think the dust I see on the lens is mainly pollen,but a real dry summer will also mean dust. As you know I crawl about a goodly bit with the hares and deer,it's my proximity to the veggies going through not over the top which is my probable cause. Once I'm in the field I have ditched the cover

. They are good tools Russ I try to look after them to the very best I can I was told early on to be fastidious and try I to be. Ext changes are largely my reason to split body and lens. I'll do all I can to minise dust within a change. I'm not yet brave enough for sensor cleans But yup I strip her down regular to check for dust and get the hood off if I have any concerns after studying the lens before going out.. I always check the big end before going out ,a lesson hard won . I can also pick up the odd grass seed in the hood at times. I roll some brown parcel tape into a sticky out loop round my fingers to gently remove those, and any dust in the hood.

Russ, although as always, ya made me smile , talking about how the niche of image making affects our gear is actually very interesting . I grew up by the sea, I'd love to shoot waders..... yet me on a beach and the sand and the gear fills me with horror Ha throw in salt and ...... UGG

. These tools are not cheep but that value shouldn't stop them being used . It's me in the mud bro you're spot on, that's the cause . :D

Ha advice........... no, not me mate :LOL: thoughts bro(y) Worth musing cleanliness with our gear Russ not something I've often talked to anyone about. I am no expert all ears to others opinions

One can guarantee in our game something magical would happen if me lens wasn't clean
All the luck with the flight images I suspect another storm will lay waste to my weekend again,so I know all about withdrawl symptoms wanna play hares buddy;) My season is officially open:D I'm like a coiled spring:LOL:

stu

Well mine's about to get a serious workout, it's off to shoot bobcats in California, and whales in the Sea of Cortez soon.
I'll use the 400+1.4 on one body and the 100-400 on the other so I don't have to change lenses much unless I've got real close ups
It's interesting to see that no one has yet owned up to ordering a mk3 Dx yet however...but that's a separate thread!
George.

Nesting GC Grebe 02-05-20 (1 of 1).jpgnot posted for a while but I had a walk to a large pond 5 mins from me, this is an image taken from one of the three great crested grebe nest sites I found. Canon 7D2 400mm DO mk2 with 1.4x iii extender ISO 320 1/1000 560mm

How are you guys getting along with the DO nowadays. The thread’s gone a tad ‘quiet’…:D

I’ve just traded my 100-400 II in a few weeks back; and looking at getting either a 300mm II or hunt one of these down.
As I’m looking to have the option of a bit more light when needed.

I keep leaning towards the 300; but I also have a 200mm f2; and think the 300 will be a bit too close to it in comparison to the 400 to need both in my kit.

Plus, the weight of the 400 seems a nice addition.

Decisions decisions

Last edited:
How are you guys getting along with the DO nowadays. The thread’s gone a tad ‘quiet’…:D

I’ve just traded my 100-400 II in a few weeks back; and looking at getting either a 300mm II or hunt one of these down.
As I’m looking to have the option of a bit more light when needed.

I keep leaning towards the 300; but I also have a 200mm f2; and think the 300 will be a bit too close to it in comparison to the 400 to need both in my kit.

Plus, the weight of the 400 seems a nice addition.

Decisions decisions

@George had one for sale in the classifieds, not sure if he still has it.

No I don't still have it, however I'd certainly recommend it.

There was no interest on the forum when I tried to sell it here, WEX bought it and it never appeared on their for sale site so I suspect they had a buyer lined up.

It just got to the stage that it was sitting doing nothing as we weren't travelling and also it was getting too heavy to lug around...I'm trying to lighten the load these days!!

If you can get one, and I'd go second hand if you could, you won't be disappointed.

George

No I don't still have it, however I'd certainly recommend it.

There was no interest on the forum when I tried to sell it here, WEX bought it and it never appeared on their for sale site so I suspect they had a buyer lined up.

It just got to the stage that it was sitting doing nothing as we weren't travelling and also it was getting too heavy to lug around...I'm trying to lighten the load these days!!

If you can get one, and I'd go second hand if you could, you won't be disappointed.

George

Thanks for the reply both of you.

I’ve literally just seen it in the used section on the WEX website. So I assume that’s yours :)

I’m not 100% sure as to which of the 2 I mentioned above to go for as yet.

Whichever one; it’ll be with intended use with the extenders…

Half of me says go with the lighter and already half decent focal length 400; and the other says go with the 300 so I’d have a decent aperture mid range Prime for other occasions…

Blimey they are cheeky, they've marked it up by a grand!!.....well I said it was a good buy here!!

Blimey they are cheeky, they've marked it up by a grand!!.....well I said it was a good buy here!!

Yep, that’s trade in for ya :D

I’m away for work for a couple of days; so I’ll have to have a good think as to which of the two is best. But knowing my luck it’ll sell anyway before then :)

Would you happen to have any pics posted on here anywhere that you’ve taken with it by any chance?

Noy yhat I can think of, James, but it's a good copy, I've done some big enlargements and also most of the time I used the 1.4x with it as well.
AF and IQ excellent.

James, I weigh up two things reach against low light needs.................I've not used a mark ii 300 but did have the mark i................I won and shoot almost exclusively with a 400doii, upgraded mainly because of fears of getting parts for the 300is f2.8

To me both supply stella IQ, the 300 gives you f2.8 the 400 more reach ,which gets magnified with the EXT iii options... the body for me personally will be the decider as to just how well the 2X ext's will perform AF wise...I went from a 1Div to 1DXii the DXii made the ext 2x sing, sure an IQ hit but that for me was where the combo worked as designed by the canon boffins

Bare lens image made at night , continuous lighting not much really not flash....................... fink it's iso 16000, nah not 1600 16,000
I guess it's a way of sharing the lens and camera being pushed a bit

_S2I3704 PK HO smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

1.4 extiii... hare taking the P*ss out of a lame tog struggling to free his lens from a hawthorn cropped from landscape to portrait cause of tog's said lameness, :LOL:

_S2I9395 Opps smj Tdn by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

2x ext iii ha funny made in exactly the same spot as the fox piccy,my front door step

_S2I8881 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

The thread might be quiet but my do is ii is still being used I'm just a bit more quiet on the togging front right now than normal................... i'm making a togging bus.......... I might now be the only user here, I suspect most have gone without a mirror..that said it's one hell of a tool OMG one hell of a tool.......A tool I don't think i'll ever be worthy of. It's so well balanced one can almost throw it at a screaming spar and still get sommit

_70F4463 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

all old images already shown here probably , so with you already owning 200f2 for me you have ansered your own Q and how I differentiate between the 300 and 400 becomes less relevent..

I'm getting along with my 400 just fine James,

really I have honed in on mammals as my primary subjects ,spend most of what little time I have on roe and brown hare, , that doesn't do the tool justice as the AF can be astounding, and they are sort of a tad more static but the spar was full tilt so gives some indication of Af for BIF

Maybe a tiny cross section of a ball park of what the tool is capable of

worth seeing Arash Hazighi's work with this tool from a few years back !!
stu

Last edited:
ok then have a look of flicky i'm at a loss:banghead:

Back