Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, What would you do?

The lens has been mounted to the Canon 60D

This surprised me. I’d have wanted to use the body with most AF points, FPS and best ISO which would be the 7DM2? In my experience these features have big benefits for the longer lenses.

I’d also be more flexible switching bodies as the need arises and be tempted to trade them all for a single more capable body like 1DX.

This surprised me. I’d have wanted to use the body with most AF points, FPS and best ISO which would be the 7DM2? In my experience these features have big benefits for the longer lenses.

I’d also be more flexible switching bodies as the need arises and be tempted to trade them all for a single more capable body like 1DX.
Wish I could switch bodies at will. Took me this whole thread to figure out the combination of bodies to lenses that make the most logical sense in my unique situation.
Here is an example of the 500mm and the 7Dmkii working together.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2m4kqGF

Last edited:
If you can get a 1Dx its far better of a camera and features the benefits from all of them really, it takes a lot of the hard work and frustration you could say away and makes it easy when/if you changed over from a 7D or similar, its highly noticeable and the hit rate is night and day difference over the others from my experience, but to save the stress just grab a 1Dx makes life easier, that being said the 7D II setup right can be a beast but if your in the market go 1Dx.

Hope some of this helps (y)

I will look into finding a budget that will allow a 1DX to enter the mix.
I like the IQ of the 60D and 500mm enough to set it up on stationary birds across a body of water.

Overall they are all good camera, at the end of the day it mostly comes down to how you can use them and how everything is setup, the 6D for wildlife I had the most dramas with as its really not designed for it, with FPS + AF, making life really hard, useless at times, unless the subject is somewhat still...if you can get a 1Dx its far better of a camera and features the benefits from all of them really, it takes a lot of the hard work and frustration you could say away and makes it easy when/if you changed over from a 7D or similar, its highly noticeable and the hit rate is night and day difference over the others from my experience. Don't get me wrong they are all great bodies that can achieve the results, but to save the stress just grab a 1Dx makes life easier, that being said the 7D II setup right can be a beast but if your in the market go 1Dx.

Have you compared the 5Diii v the 1Dx in terms of AF ability for say BIF? The reviews suggest there is not much between them, but in the real world?

Back