Review Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II

Great lens, just starting out in photography and had 18-55mm lens then got this lens and loved playing with DOF, great to learn with as well!

Lots of people decry the bokeh on this lens but for almost all situations it is excellent even with only 5 shutter blades:

1/400 @ F4.0
4372.jpg

1/250 @F2.8
4397.jpg

Had the mk2 some years ago and recently bought a mk1, really nice lens its cheap, fast and superb quality what more could you want? (apart from USM...oh and the return of the mk1 design which is much better)

Definitely good for the money, but I've also experienced annoying AF hunt. It's slower to focus than the kit lens in most cases.

The bokeh is good as long as there are no harsh lights in the background.

Also sharpness falls of dramatically from the centre, so not so good for FF's. Tbh I think it's worth spending the extra if you use this focal length allot.

Had a play with my mates. Seemed like a great lens for the money. Will be ordering one of these or saving for a 1.4...

I have this lens on my canon 40D and love it to bits and looking at the MTU values it's better than the 1.4 in the 5.6 range.

Lots of people decry the bokeh on this lens but for almost all situations it is excellent even with only 5 shutter blades:

1/400 @ F4.0
4372.jpg

1/250 @F2.8
4397.jpg

Them shots look super sharp and you must have got a really sharp copy of the nifty fifty.

Given how much this lens costs I'd say it's great value for money. Good IQ wide open better if stopped down a couple of stops. Ok build quality leaves something to be desired. I bought a used Mk 1 version a few years ago. Don't think it had ever been on the camera of the bloke I bought it from and I've never used it. Must dig it out and give it a go.

Brilliant lens. Only lens i own so cant put it against any other but well happy with the results

I have this lens but it seem like it only worked well in day light not night scene

I borrowed my sons 50mm 1.8, just to see, me being new to Canon. I was very impressed. Many people say 50mm's 'are old hat', not a word of truth there. My local camera shop had a mint, pre-owned Mk 1, with metal mount. Always were dearer, because of the mount. I bought mine at a 'snip' price. It is brilliant, in everything from feel, build and performance. Highly recommended.

Can't decide if I love or hate my nifty!:thinking:
I bought mine for low light action & indoors stuff and have been very disappointed with inaccurate & inconsistent focussing (on a 7D) when trying to capture dancing shows & concerts. On the flip side if I take time to set up a shot, ESP on m/f, the result can be stunning! Guess I have some learning still to do.....

Back