Canon EF 70-200 F4 USM l lens

Name
simeon
Edit My Images
Yes
what sort off money second hand should i be looking at paying for one off these?

is this lens good for landscape and motorsport? if not what other lens in the same price range would you reccomened either new or used.

thanks sim

Too short for motorsport and too long for landscapes ;)

Doesn't necessarily mean it's useless for those applications - far from it, but broadly speaking something wider is your 'typical' landscape lens and longer (200+) is better for most sports unless you have a pitch/ring/pit pass!

Regardless, don't pay any more than £350 used. Look to snag one at £300 ish for good resale if required.

Cheers,
James

If you add a teleconverter (the x1.4) then it'll be more suitable for motorsports, but that's adding an extra £100 at minimum to the overall cost, and for that amount you could b getting a more suitable lens. I was looking at getting one (they sell on here for about £300, one went for £290 the other day), but I went for the Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM instead. It's cheaper, and you get the extra 100mm reach and image stabilisation. It's not quite L standards, but it's pretty close!

Chris

yeah that was the other lens i was considering, but i read a couple off reviews about it and its ment to take good pictures but the build quality lets it down and wont stand upto too much...?

how you finding that lens?

If you manage to break a 70-300 out of anything but stupidity, then you are very, very unlucky.

Yes, it's not an L lens, but it's built VERY well.

Cheers,
James

yeah that was the other lens i was considering, but i read a couple off reviews about it and its ment to take good pictures but the build quality lets it down and wont stand upto too much...?

how you finding that lens?

Well it certainly doesn't feel like it's going to break! It's reassuringly heavy, not so heavy it needs a winch to pick it up, but heavy enough to make it feel very well built.

To say I'm happy with it would be an understatement, I'm absolutely loving it! I've only taken it on a couple of outings so far because of dodgy weather/light, but it's razor sharp, and great to use! I can link some pictures using it if you'd like?

Chris

O.K, here are a few examples!

This is quite a heavy crop, at 300mm with terrible light

This one was taken at 200mm, this was at 300mm, and this was at 220mm. All in absolutely awful light!

The only shot I have that was taken in bright sunlight is this one. I've only had the lens for a few weeks, needless to say the sun hasn't been out much! I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're doing could get considerably better results than I am though! Hope this helps a bit!

Chris

thanks the review i saw was this one but its the 75-300mm not 70-300mm thats where i got confused...

unsure has there raves reviews on the l lens picutre sharpness etc but dont want to pay out if theres a cheaper simliar lens

So are you looking at getting the 75-300, or the 70-300? I'm confused now! If you want a review for the 70-300, there's one here. Although the reviewer prefers the 70-200 f/4, you've got to decide if the larger aperture at the long end is worth the money, and at the expense of 100mm and IS. The decision I made was to get the 70-300 now, and start saving for the 70-200 f/2.8!

Chris

well i payed £340 for mine as new not a mark on it or any sign of wear. And i love it :D

oh and i got it from ffordes

I just luuuurve my 70-200 F4. :D

True it's not text book ideal for landscape or motorsport but I'd never consider tackling either without it in my lensbag. It's got more money shots over the years than just about anything else in the bag.

i havnt had it long but im loving it so far, the AF is so rapid and its super duper sharp

I think the obvious thing with motorsport is where you get to stand. Mines OK for bit's of Castle Coombe, Mallory, Brands, Prescott Hill etc. It's a nice light lens so gets taken with me to most places.

I've got a 70-200mm F/4 and it's a lovely lens. I found it a bit short though. It's best feature is that it's very light to carry around. I bought a 100-400 which I love but it weighs a ton!

if i had the cash i think i would swap my 70-200 for a 100-400

Back