Canon EF 85 1.8 usm - artefact

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a new one of these a few weeks back and only just started using it, really like the lens.

But I've noticed what looks like a speck of dust deep within the lens elements - no effect on images but should that be grounds for requesting an exchange? Canon QC issue?

TIA

No.

My approach would be to close your eyes and look through the lens.....if you can't see the dust anymore then keep the lens.

I bought a new one of these a few weeks back and only just started using it, really like the lens.

But I've noticed what looks like a speck of dust deep within the lens elements - no effect on images but should that be grounds for requesting an exchange? Canon QC issue?

TIA

Most lenses will end up with something visible inside if you look closely enough but it would need to be BIG to have a effect on the picture so unless it's an absolute boulder I'd say it doesn't matter.

Thank you for the replies, almost unanimous. I'll define "speck", if I can get a photo of it. Reason for my asking is that none of my other lenses have anything similar and therefore that sets my expectation for this latest one.

Trouble is if you are having second thoughts about it .... should you ever decide to sell it on will the next prospective owner try and knock you down in price because of it.?

Why take the chance?
Very good point

Here's a pic showing the issue, bottom right.
Not acceptable to me so will return for exchange. IMG_20180915_141557.jpeg

Back